CCM Premier 2 Vs Warrior Ritual G4

ULTIMA

Other members on this board are inclined to give a review on pieces of gear that they bought but for myself personally, I simply don't have the kinna time to do a proper, in depth analysis for two different sets of pads, catchers and blockers. And well, quite frankly....I don't want to. So instead I felt it'd be more entertaining and fun for myself to do a comparison of my two recent sets of gear. Both sets have been used only once as I have no summer team and both outings were just filling in for a sick or absent goalie.

Anyway just gonna do a comparison of certain categories I think would be of interest. Obviously after only one skate with each, I can't talk about things like durability. And for those wondering, I do work in hockey so I get a fantastic discount from both companies. I didn't just blow a bunch of money just to have a collection of gear. Discounts aside, both sets left a great impression when I first saw them and got to play around with the stuff. And other than Vaughn's gear, these two companies really do put out some great stuff that is top notch. But hey, I started a thread that said "Vs" in the title so for sure many of you are gonna expect a throw-down. Try to keep in mind that this is all based on my own experience and opinion and that I am not speaking for everyone. Oh and if you didn't know by this point, this comparison for the pro gear only. So let the throw-down begin.

Gear design/graphics

Let's start with the most obvious - the look of the gear. The P2 has a really eye-catching graphic, most gear sets that have been put out by Lefebvre in the last 20 years have been stellar and very likeable. This one is no exception with the sharp edges and different shapes for their color zones . The G4 is very basic and looks as though there wasn't much thought put into the process of making a graphic that many people would get behind. The bare bones of it is that the G4 is mostly just lines and stripes. And for some reason that section near the toe doesn't match the angle of the other graphics. The P2 just looks more slick overall. I almost always do a red base for gear for a Montreal Canadiens theme and the P2 came out just right. I spent a good while on the customizer trying to get a graphic I like for the G4. I even had to take a poll amongst my friends/coworkers to see which one looked the best. If we're talking just the face of pads, the P2 has 8 color zones while the G4 has 15. I try to do my best to make as much use of the all the color zones but as I said, I couldn't get a graphic that I liked. I feel the G4 graphic could have been better and maybe a limit to 10 color zones or so would have been more practical. Yes it's true that certain color combinations can enhance a graphic. It's also worth mentioning that CCM offers 3 types of materials (21 colors in jenpro, 6 in weave & 20 in Speedskin) while Warrior offers 20 colors but in jenpro only. So if by chance your desired colors are Arizona red or Washington blue or even eggplant, you're stuck. Although if you don't like the stock G4 graphic they offer the alternative vintage graphic which is nice but I'm focusing stock.

Winner: Premier 2

Gear weight

Everyone knows by now that when it comes to the weight of gear, it is without question that the G4 is superior. And if you don't know, it's time for you to get out from underneath that rock. Just picking up a G4 pad, catcher or blocker with one hand and the P2 in the other, it is an immediate noticeable difference in weight. No compromise on the protection either. I will give credit to CCM that they have really shed weight off the P2 from the previous model. But it still doesn't come close to the G4 stuff. It's freakishly light and dare I say the lightest on the market. I anticipate backlash from the BStar fanboys as they usually like to stir shit up online. Case in point:

wrong.jpg.6fa3286711bda0b53cc824de633de20f.jpg

Winner: Ritual G4

Custom Options

Isn't it nice to have options on gear? Yes! Well, sort of...Gone are the days of ordering pads and gloves and the only options you had were to get custom colors and whatever size. That was nice. But nowadays most gear companies are offering all these different options we never thought to even ask about back in 2001. The P2 gear has the choice of selecting internal breaks, external breaks, boot stiffness, strapping system, glove angle blah blah blah. You guys know all the features. And that all looks good on paper until the time comes for you to go fill it out and decide what exactly is the proper and best choice for each of those options. But how in the hell can you select the best option for yourself if you don't know what each feels like? I'v yet to see a retailer carry a CCM/RBK pad with straight angle. Or even carry all the different leg channel options. And why would they? THERE'S 6 TO CHOOSE FROM! So unless you get stock (which is what I did), it's a shot in the dark really. I must have spent close to 2 hours with a colleague selecting all the best options for me for the P2 gear. Seriously there's just way too many options for CCM and makes it too confusing for the consumer to choose easily. If every retailer was given in-store demos to show the different things you could do, that would help a lot. It's hard to take a gamble on something when you're committing to spend all that money on pro gear. Those pictures in the catalog showing the different kinds don't mean jack. Goalie equipment is all about fit and feel. Then you have the G4....with next to no options. They no longer offer external breaks (which I feel is a good thing) or different toe arrangement or choice for strapping. Nothing. You basically have Pete Smith & Warrior saying here's our gear, this is how it is, take it or leave it. And it may come across that I'm complaining about both. Truth is I'm happier with the G4 so I know what I'm getting and there's no room to misinterpret an option. To the regular consumer, I can see how the lack of options on the G4 can be equally frustrating. So in conclusion, too much of something can be a bad thing but too much of nothing can be just as bad. BOTH companies should find a happy medium. At the end of the day, several options are better than none.

Gear Features

The P2 stuff has changed very little (almost not at all) since the original RBK Premier launch way back when. It's still the same flat-faced, pre-curved, flop-around pad as always. The gloves haven't changed at all. Sure, they've made little tweaks along the way and began offering custom options as I already talked about. But in my opinion, there's nothing on the P2 gear that I can say is ground breaking or a game-changer. Going lighter on gear or making it as stiff or soft as you like may have been a game-changing feature at one point but all companies are now trying to do that with their gear. That kinna stuff is a standard and not innovation. They do offer their version of the Vaughn professor strap which l was a good idea but I feel it's a cheaper version and not as good. The introduction of the Speedskin material is about as close as it gets to a real feature. Does it work? I'm not sure, I personally didn't notice it. And well, I really don't think it serves a purpose considering you don't slide very much on your blocker or catcher, haha. If you're going from the P1 to the P2, oh yeah there's definitely gonna be some advantage for you there. The good thing is those who have worn the Lefebvre stuff in the past can always rely on getting that same stuff that they feel comfortable with that CCM will continue to make. I must give credit for them injecting D30 foam panels in parts of their high-end gear. That foam is really solid and even though it's not something you can feel or even see that much, it's a great addition to the pro gear. But the true quality features and innovation really does belong to Warrior and the G4. To be fair, most of the features have been carried over from the G3. I feel the standard toe strings on the P2 is a dated toe design. The Active Response toe along with those two stretchy velcro straps gets pads on and off quick with no leather straps or all this jumbled crap around in the leg channel area. The profile lock lock is a good idea but I think the execution with that velcro tab could be improved. Not sure how I feel about the AIRslide technology, it may turn out to be a gimmick some theoretically it should work as advertised. A feature I'm not crazy about is the removable palms to change the degree. Once you take that palm out, good luck getting back to the place you wanted it before. The removable palm on the blocker for washing was a good idea though. I should mention to that you get a pretty good pair of knee pads for free when you buy Warrior gear at any level. Pete Smith did say in an older video that Warrior is setting out to be the clear-cut innovators in the hockey industry and I feel as though they are doing so thusfar. Some would call the G4 features gimmicky. That's fair to say but not entirely accurate. Either way, the G4 has a lot to talk about while the P2 doesn't.

Catcher

This one is really tough. The Lefebvre 590 glove has been regarded as one of the top goalie gloves of all time dating back to when they still had Koho logos. I must say I absolutely love the 590 glove with the way it feels and snaps shut once it's worked in, it is second to none. However I must say that since Lefebrve moved their pro gear production offshore, I have noticed a stiffness in their gloves out of the box that wasn't there before. While I still love the feel of the 590 glove, the G4 came out of the box well worked in and was butter. Working in a glove for me a huge pain in the ass, I don't like doing it at all. So I am thrilled to have a worked in glove that is game-ready. The weight and the snappyness of the G4 is fantastic. But I like the P2 just a little bit better.

Blocker

As the old saying goes "A blocker is a blocker". Still true to a degree however some just feel better than others. While I like the overall feel in the palm area of the G4, I have to go with the P2 on this one. The side blocking board and face are always solid on Lefebvre's blockers. They just feel indestructible. Even though it's a little heavier than the G4, I like some weight on my blockers.

Pads

This one was also kinna tough. Both sets have their own distinct fit and feel. And that could attributed to that you have such an array of strapping option on the P2. I did get additional plastic calf straps on mine because I wanted the pad to hug my legs more and the stock pads didn't do that. The G4 felt just right with their limited strapping which was odd. And I don't hate the precurved construction of the P2 but I don't care for it. I did notice the thigh area on the P2 to be a bit more clunkier than then G4. Both pads were stiff and gave off hot rebounds far and away from me so I expected it. I certainly did feel more mobile with the G4 because of the lack of weight. Overall the The G4 felt a bit more comfortable and was able to maneuver better. The P2 feels great but the G4 felt that much better.

That's all I really have to say for now. Was one set better than the other? I don't think so. Bother sets were great and I plan to keep both for the remainder of the winter season. If you tally up the winners in each category, some would say there was only one winner. Truth is if any of you are planning on getting either of these sets of gear, both are a winning choice. Both have pros, both have cons. Pictures to follow. Thanks for reading.

Although my comparison isn’t exactly the same (g4 senior vs ccm E3.9 pads)I agree with a lot of your comments. I agree the premiere aesthetics for my tastes are much nicer. 

The weight difference in my sets especially with the 3.9 likely being much heavier than even the premier 2s is very noticeable. Unlike you, I like to think weight in a glove matters for speed and likely is why I’m going to try the g4 glove over a ccm despite hating the look of the warrior.

With the pads I could never get the strapping of the 3.9 to be comfortable. I expect getting new toe ties may have helped as putting enough knots in the tie to reduce strain on my ankle and knee made the pads too sloppy despite liking a loose fit. Also agree that the thicker thigh rises seemed to bother me whereas I barely ever notice interference despite a bigger pad with the g4s.

As you stated, just my opinion, and not the same comparison but I liked the warrior pad better performance wise even if I don’t like the look.

Also, get a sweet “V” bend worked into your G4 blocker... the inner edge of the front board is the mid balance point... or lead point. It will feel much better after the outer edges of the triangle are spread out... especially with loose cuff for mobility. I only ever square up the board if directing the shot to a point in front of me. Otherwise, everything is naturally to the corner/glass or back into your body. Probably 4-5 games with some paddle down. They feel kinda “tight” otherwise.

11 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Good comparison.

Definitely agree about the Warrior graphics. They really leave a lot to be desired.

It's why their 'Classic' graphic is way better.

I honestly think the graphic has a lot to do with some people not taking warrior pads seriously. That and some people associate not being in the nhl as not being good enough.

Just now, Ryan W said:

I honestly think the graphic has a lot to do with some people not taking warrior pads seriously. That and some people associate not being in the nhl as not being good enough.

I mean, I'm in warrior pads and love them. Their graphics are still missing something Imo. 

Good comparo. I had the Reebok Premier 4 18K then Warrior Ritual G2 Sr then G3 Sr. The Lefebvre/Reebok/RBK/CCM style is polar opposite to the Warrior style, haha.  CCM is super old school while Warrior is innovatively modern  

I hated the 18K’s. I felt so cumbersome and heavy. I switched them out for the G2’s and besides the obvious lightness, I swear the leg pads felt smaller/not as wide. I measured the width and didn’t see a difference. I think it was a mind trick from the extreme weight difference. 

Coincidentally, someone on my team literally noticed my energy/speed/reaction difference and asked if the pads were smaller.

Also, I love the Warrior design. I love the simple blocked design. I’m not really one for colorful artsy equipment. I love solid color pads and unpainted helmets. 

Yah, a lot of people need to understand the advantage of Warrior not being in the NHL, not assume the negative. That cost savings goes back into the pads for more features (e.g. they were the first to include real knee pads with the leg pads). Also, they are designing the equipment with crazy innovation (which would not bode well with NHL’ers who don’t like to change often) and to cater to the nuances non-pros have to deal with, e.g. AirSlide to deal with old ice towards the end of the game, multiple adjustments I get the ultimate fit, washable palms since we don’t bring 3-4 sets of gloves to our games, glove degree changing and blocker position, etc. 

I should add the 18k’s were amazingly built. The leather was top quality. I doubt most could tell the difference between them and pro pads. I had them in all white and they were stunning. The Warrior Sr’s leather didn’t look quite as stunning.

But unfortunately, better built these days means heavier and clunkier. The Bauer’s look like Chinese made plastic, but that material will be on all pads in a few years.  

1 hour ago, BonesDT said:

I should add the 18k’s were amazingly built. The leather was top quality. I doubt most could tell the difference between them and pro pads. I had them in all white and they were stunning. The Warrior Sr’s leather didn’t look quite as stunning.

But unfortunately, better built these days means heavier and clunkier. The Bauer’s look like Chinese made plastic, but that material will be on all pads in a few years.  

Warrior "Sr leather" is same as "Pro leather" 

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2018 at 12:50 AM, ULTIMA said:

A feature I'm not crazy about is the removable palms to change the degree. Once you take that palm out, good luck getting back to the place you wanted it before.

Thats one thing I don't agree with. I had G2(two seasons) and now G3 catch glove (third season) and I removed inner palm many times for washing and never had an issue to put them back on to get the same feel of the glove as before the wash.

12 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Thats one thing I don't agree with. I had G2(two seasons) and now G3 catch glove (third season) and I removed inner palm many times for washing and never had an issue to put them back on to get the same feel of the glove as before the wash.

Ditto here. In fact, it’s nice to be able to finely adjust the palm to somewhere other than the exact stock location. I like to move it slightly upwards towards the fingers and all the way inward towards the pocket. I’m talking millimeters of movement. Hey, if u like the out of box feel and worried you’ll screw it up, then just don’t remove the palm like every other glove on the market. Or .... get the GT glove. 

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

CCM runs taller. I'm a 33+1.5 in warrior, would be a 32+ in CCM.

Oh ok great. I read somewhere CCM runs taller but i m fixed know with your confirmation so for me i need to take 35+1.5 with Warrior or +2 if i take customs pads.

Thank's.

Archived