CCM Premier vs Brians Optik side by side demo

Big2

So my son did a Demo today for 1.5 hrs on both the CCM Premier 2 and the Brians Optik Fly.

FYI the ice was very dry - had probably bean made last night and frozen till we got onto the ice!

So let me start by my disappointments (order is irrelevant )

1) Brians Optik - Opti slide, my son felt it did not slide as well as the CCM Speed skin

2) Optik smart toe - looks like Brians is cutting on quality, more flimsy than the one on his GNetiks

3) Optik knee area both on the pad and on the knee stack - his GNetics where in Primo these where in nylon material per the one used in the section behind the pads. Already showing sign of wear and do not expect for this section to wear well!

4) CCM Premier - the quality of the entire pads looked cheap, the Demo set which had very little use already showed tiny wear sections on top of the outer roll and the two section that meet on the break I AM NOT HAPPY!

Positive points

1) Optiks glove - this thing looked like it swallowed everything that came close to it, the CCM was also pretty good but there where a few pop outs

2) Premier obviously they have lost a lot of weight and by hand felt very similar to the Optiks

3) Premier pads - looked less flimsy per my son he felt more connected to them.

At the end of the day looks like my son will be leaving Brians for CCM - I have to inquire on a couple of things, he has massive hands and the CCM was slightly snug will be asking if he can get a slightly larger glove for his hand? Another thing I learned is that du to his hand size the break on the glove occurs just behind where his fingers meet his palm, shouldn't the break line up with the break in the palm, like a baseball glove?

i also have to find out if CCM has weave material available for their pads??

@Big2 I’ve used both extensively and rotate between them. 

Although most of your points may be accurate based on stock, there’s some stuff to consider past a 1hr demo: 

1: Speed Skin vs Opti Slide: Speed Skin may be faster on clean ice, but Opti Slide is absolutely more consistent across all qualities of ice and stays faster as ice gets choppy. IMO, Opti-Slide is the best sliding tech right now. 

Does your son’s league get a Zam between periods? Do most of the rinks have good ice? 

2: I believe you typically order custom color colorways? Brian’s will do a primo or nash Knee landing on a stock pad. I had this changed on the TGN Spec compared with my stock Optik. 

3: The stability and seal of the CCM P2 is absolutely the best on the market. It’s also like impossible to get them to over rotate. However, you can get a “hard” knee block on the Optik as a custom Option. This option absolutely makes the Optik snap shut a bit more. It closes the gap between P2 and Optik FLY.  This is also something that is very easy to order on a custom pad. 

4: CCM quality, I honestly don’t see this. CCM may not have the Canadian craftsmans approach like Brian’s does for their retail customers, but the fit and finish on my P2 is flawless. There’s not a stitch out place and the bindingless areas are tight as a drum. This may not guarantee long term durability, but CCM’s offshore QC has me impressed  

5: If you want more of a connected with the Optik, you can order a nylon strap for the outer wrap. This would be in lieu of the stock elastic strap. This will also be a very easy custom order. 

Honestly, you can’t go wrong with either.  When people ask me which one is my favorite, I have a really tough time with it.  Like you outlined above, there’s two or three features on each set of pads that I really like. If I could morf these into a single pad, I’d be in heaven. 

The one thing I have come to appreciate the most about CCM is the seal and overall sturdyness of the foams used. It’s why so many non endorsement players use their gear. 

Hopefully most of these comments make sense. From memory, your son almost jumped to CCM last year but couldn’t part with Brian’s? If he’s loyal to Brian’s, but wants a more P2 feeling pad, a few tweaks might help a lot. 

He’ll probably be happy in CCM though too 

TGN thank you very much for your feedback!

i actually looked at you review after I wrote my post and felt a lot better about changing brands - I will have to accept my son's decision and get him a set .

Question I have tried finding the CCM options catalogue on the internet and was only able to get the 2017 one! Would you happen to know if there's a 2018 and if it's possible to get in PDF format?

Also where did you order you pads from ?

Can you also answer my question I PM you as well?

21 minutes ago, Big2 said:

TGN thank you very much for your feedback!

i actually looked at you review after I wrote my post and felt a lot better about changing brands - I will have to accept my son's decision and get him a set .

Question I have tried finding the CCM options catalogue on the internet and was only able to get the 2017 one! Would you happen to know if there's a 2018 and if it's possible to get in PDF format?

Also where did you order you pads from ?

Can you also answer my question I PM you as well?

I buy my gear through @TGC-Rance 

let me see if I can post the 2018 catalog. I don’t know if that’s supposed to be published or not 

sure, I don’t always check my DMs. I’ll take a look 

TGN couple of more questions!

My son is going with the Premiers and I would like to know you thoughts on Speedskin vs weave? My son is thinking of going full weave even on the section where the pad slides?

Also did you get the normal hand palm or a larger one - my son has huge hands?

On 8/5/2018 at 9:59 AM, TheGoalNet said:

If he does end up wanting Brian’s, Rance can help you with any specs of the I added 

TGN my son is thinking of going 100% weave on the Premiers - like his Gnetiks what are your thought on speedskin vs weave on the inner gusset ( section you slide on )

He is telling me that he would prefer to keep his new pads as similar as his Gnetiks when it came to slide-ability

Also what about the life expectancy of speedskin (new) vs weave ( been around longer )?

3 minutes ago, Big2 said:

TGN my son is thinking of going 100% weave on the Premiers - like his Gnetiks what are your thought on speedskin vs weave on the inner gusset ( section you slide on )

He is telling me that he would prefer to keep his new pads as similar as his Gnetiks when it came to slide-ability

Also what about the life expectancy of speedskin (new) vs weave ( been around longer )?

I would always go with Speed Skin. It’s faster and I can’t imagine your son wouldn’t be able to get used to it. 

Anyone have EF3 with Speek Skin?

Mine is holding up great, but it’s only been 3-4 months. Maybe someone with EF3 can help. 

42 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I would always go with Speed Skin. It’s faster and I can’t imagine your son wouldn’t be able to get used to it. 

Mine is holding up great, but it’s only been 3-4 months. Maybe someone with EF3 can help. 

I agree that he should be able to get used to it- we are mainly concerned about life expectancy. My son will shortly be on the ice 4-6 times per week which is probably a lot more than most of the guys on the forum so I am just crossing all my t's and dotting all the i' s before I pull the trigger. Hopefully I can get a PDF file on the custom options for 2018 all I can find is the 2017 version and order should be placed by Wednesday!

As soon as I place the order I will provide the details - FYI he spent 2 hrs on the ice with his demo set today and he likes them 34+ 1 way to small so looking at 35 + 1 or 1.5 will depend due to the fact that he wants 1 break and the upper straight like a Bauer 2S

@Big2 I also think that that the stock p2 looks cheap that's why I only went speed skin on the sliding surface and whatever zone piece they got at the front...the rest I went bold colours...you can also add weave

The catalog is on the ccm website under customizer...when you click the pads ar the next page bottom 

I’ve had my eflex3’s for a little over a year and the speedskin has held up great. No tears and no crazy wear marks. I have been on the ice on average twice a week. I would definitely recommend the speedskin! 

I noticed you had mentioned the glove and the break. Do you know what glove break your son tried in the P2? 

7 hours ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

@Big2 I also think that that the stock p2 looks cheap that's why I only went speed skin on the sliding surface and whatever zone piece they got at the front...the rest I went bold colours...you can also add weave

The catalog is on the ccm website under customizer...when you click the pads ar the next page bottom 

Shifty - thanks but I cant find it?

I will be requesting onr from TGC today!

I will be going full weave and hopefully my son will accept to go with speedskin on the inner gusset

GOT IT - its on the page where you chose region/country at the bottom!!!!

7 hours ago, Moose30 said:

I’ve had my eflex3’s for a little over a year and the speedskin has held up great. No tears and no crazy wear marks. I have been on the ice on average twice a week. I would definitely recommend the speedskin! 

I noticed you had mentioned the glove and the break. Do you know what glove break your son tried in the P2? 

Moose thanks for the feedback!

15 hours ago, Big2 said:

Shifty - thanks but I cant find it?

I will be requesting onr from TGC today!

I will be going full weave and hopefully my son will accept to go with speedskin on the inner gusset

GOT IT - its on the page where you chose region/country at the bottom!!!!

Unfortunately, with as much ice time are your son has committed too... his gear is going to break down this year. It’s why Pro’s get 2-3 sets a year 

If everyone is saying Speed Skin makes the pads look cheap, I know understand what you’re saying. I meant the quality seems nice because no stitch was out of place, no bubbles, etc. I don’t share this opinion, but I fully understand it.  I was missing this point before 

I have a mix of Speed Skin, Jenpro, and Weave. I think the pads look very rich because of the contrast. Maybe if he goes ahead with the mix, he’ll be happy with the final result

24 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Unfortunately, with as much ice time are your son has committed too... his gear is going to break down this year. It’s why Pro’s get 2-3 sets a year 

If everyone is saying Speed Skin makes the pads look cheap, I know understand what you’re saying. I meant the quality seems nice because no stitch was out of place, no bubbles, etc. I don’t share this opinion, but I fully understand it.  I was missing this point before 

I have a mix of Speed Skin, Jenpro, and Weave. I think the pads look very rich because of the contrast. Maybe if he goes ahead with the mix, he’ll be happy with the final result

TGN I never said that the speedskin looked cheap the demos we had where jenpro except for the inner gusset and the wear I noticed was on the jenpro sections- actually my son has changed his mind I thought a mix of weave/speedskin like you have was a nice way to go he didn't think so. I will be entering the order tomorrow and before I do going through the options with the retailer one of the questions I will ask is about the life of the speedskin if I don't like what I hear I might do a mix like you did!

23 hours ago, Moose30 said:

Moose he tried the 590 but we will be ordering the 600 with a T Split and skate laces.

I will post all options picked nad colours tomorrow night order being placed in the AM

On 8/6/2018 at 8:58 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I've used Eflex3's both with all weave and Speedskin.  Personally I felt the weave slid better and was more consistent.  However, those were Varlamov EF3's which were much stiffer than a retail pad, so not a perfect comparison.  I just didn't feel anything special with the Speedskin.  

So here they are!

PADS

35 + 1.5

All speedskin

Straight single break outer core (should look like the Bauer 2S/relatively straight pad)

Loose leg channel

Quick motion strap system

Recessed foam knee with removal strap

nylon center leg

Jenpro toe lacing

Ankle boot strap

Soft boot

Glove

600 Angle

Split T with skate lace

One piece cuff

Blocker

Finger protection - straight finger

Sure grip

Half piece cuff

Centered palm position

Binding less 

CP2-180807-11 _1533741870_pad.png

CP2-180807-11 _1533741870_glove.png

CP2-180807-11 _1533741870_blocker.png

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And not have a complete matching set?

What are you? Nuts?

You have to ask?

Seriously though, why do so many people have to have matching setups?  Buy each piece that feels most comfortable and works best.  I always found it refreshing to see Markstrom with everything Bauer, and then a Vaughn glove... Ryan Miller with his CCM blocker and Vaughn pads and glove... Schneider with CCM gloves and Vaughn pads....
I don't think I have ever had a complete matching set, and currently have 3 different manufacturers for Pads, Glove and Blocker.

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And not have a complete matching set?

What are you? Nuts?

Naz - that's what I told my son to do, but he tried the 590 and we expect the 600 to be better in regards to this!

Coop is right - my son said, what are you nuts not a matching set!!

Seriously - trying to make any sense with a teenager is not obvious like taking a 2 year old to get a root canal!

Archived