Shameless request - CSA /Hecc.labels

Big2

So my son will be sporting a new Protecsport 961 clone this winter - when we went to see Michel we where told that he can place approved Bauer/CCM cages on the mask.

However my son want to use the back plate that comes with this new model and this is throwing a.wrench in my plans. A few years ago I spent a lot of time and energy finding CSA/Hecc labels for his Theodore helmet, if he doesn't use that back plate I have to start the process again!

Anyone know how I can get my hands on one of each labels?

Play it again sports/Kijiji and buy some used helmets.

It's actually illegal and you can have some serious problems on your hands if you get caught with counterfeit csa/hecc decals. The decals have code in them that is registered to that company who product they are a fixed to. Warwick was caught a few years back with counterfeit hecc decals and shit hit the fan over it. There was also a helmet manufacturer in Ontario some years back who got busted and ran out of the country to avoid the.penalty  because he was using counterfeit csa/hecc decals.

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Snowman thx I know it's elegal but I would prefer my son wear a Protechsport than any/most of the Mfg's helmets out there!

??The problem with the HECC / CSA system 

Are they testing for helmet safety + concussion prevention or if a helmet passes a lab test someone developed?

@Don Straus - Care to chime in? 

22 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

??The problem with the HECC / CSA system 

Are they testing for helmet safety + concussion prevention or if a helmet passes a lab test someone developed?

@Don Straus - Care to chime in? 

Ugh. Another hot topic that pits people's opinions against facts and rules. 

It's been almost 30 years since I was first to successfully pass through the gauntlet that is CSA. There has been - and probably always will be - someone who thinks he/she has, or knows someone who has a 'better mask' than the certified versions available. Some might be, some might not. Nobody does. All the comments will be 100% opinion. 

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/
noun
  1. a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

I'm not about to get into the merits of one brand vs another, but the downsides of using a non-approved mask are plenty. Everyone has heard all of them. Your mileage WILL vary. That's why there are governing bodies in place. To play in the game - skater or manufacturer - you need to perform.

If any of them have an opinion that their 'stuff' is up to the challenge, and they really want to join the party, they need to belly up to the bar, hit the required notes, pass the tests (adequate or not), have your insurance/liability requirements covered, it then changes from 'opinion' to 'fact'.

@Don Straus I certainly understand where you’re coming from; it is the mystery meat construction helmets and lexan death traps that would be certified opposed to something made better, like your helmet. 

But- you put your money where your mouth is and did the process to have the certified sticker on the helmet. Protechsport used to have the sticker, but Michel told me how financially painful it is to have said certification. It seems that the certification process favours those with deep pockets...

I am still going to build a mask after I get the stick done. I will not sell my wares to the public (likely) as I don’t want to go through the process for certification, though I want my helmets able to be worn in any league and any rink if I were selling them. I will most likely sell a couple to very exclusive clients and friends.  I will use my engineering contacts at my local Uni for testing before I even think about trusting my life with it! 

39 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

@Don Straus I certainly understand where you’re coming from; it is the mystery meat construction helmets and lexan death traps that would be certified opposed to something made better, like your helmet. 

But- you put your money where your mouth is and did the process to have the certified sticker on the helmet. Protechsport used to have the sticker, but Michel told me how financially painful it is to have said certification. It seems that the certification process favours those with deep pockets...

I am still going to build a mask after I get the stick done. I will not sell my wares to the public (likely) as I don’t want to go through the process for certification, though I want my helmets able to be worn in any league and any rink if I were selling them. I will most likely sell a couple to very exclusive clients and friends.  I will use my engineering contacts at my local Uni for testing before I even think about trusting my life with it! 

Everyone has their own reason for building/selling their wares. Some markets require a certification of sorts. Others do not. 

I've heard that cert costs have grown considerably over the years! An ongoing assessment of the mission and budget would help with the decision to participate with certification. A decision I am happy I no longer need to make. :)

45 minutes ago, Don Straus said:

Everyone has their own reason for building/selling their wares. Some markets require a certification of sorts. Others do not. 

I've heard that cert costs have grown considerably over the years! An ongoing assessment of the mission and budget would help with the decision to participate with certification. A decision I am happy I no longer need to make. :)

From what I understand, the expense of the  process has basically pulled many out of being certified. For a company with deep enough pockets, this is easy; for a mom and pop operation, it is pretty hard financially.

I think you seem pretty happy about not participating...

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

From what I understand, theexpense of the  process has basically pulled out of being certified. For a company woth deep enough pockets, this is easy; for a mom and pop operation, it is pretty hard financially.

I think you seem pretty happy about that you are not participating...

Hahaha! Yes, I was happy to be in the game when I was - a time that was populated with boutique builders and freedom. I didn't plan it that way - just happened to be in that spot, at that time. IfI had a choice, I think that 15-20 years earlier (full face mask era) would have been a great time for a maker. Individuality and creativity were applauded. Now, the 'cookie cutter' seems to rule all. All industries seems to take the same/similar paths. I was fortunate to be a part of it when it was more 'innovation' and less 'corporate'.

42 minutes ago, Don Straus said:

Hahaha! Yes, I was happy to be in the game when I was - a time that was populated with boutique builders and freedom. I didn't plan it that way - just happened to be in that spot, at that time. IfI had a choice, I think that 15-20 years earlier (full face mask era) would have been a great time for a maker. Individuality and creativity were applauded. Now, the 'cookie cutter' seems to rule all. All industries seems to take the same/similar paths. I was fortunate to be a part of it when it was more 'innovation' and less 'corporate'.

I can see that. 

It’s just like the bikes became very cookie cutter by the time I got out of it. Road bikes all pretty well look the same, Time Trial bikes look the same, etc., etc.

While I do like Protechsport and his masks, I think it's just too slippery of a slope if I were to put myself in a position where I had a child who wanted to wear an non-certified mask. If something were to happen to them, I'd only blame myself for having allowed it. That CSA/HECC sticker gives some protection if their product fails (in terms of a lawsuit situation). I'm not defending plastic masks that pass certification. I'm saying it would be negligent on my part to just say okay and put a certified sticker on a product it wasn't made for. As far as certified masks go, I try to put goalies in Sportmask as much as I possibly can.

While we're on the topic, Canada goalies require BNQ certified neck guards to play yet any store that carries Vaughn, Brian's and Bauer can stock (and sell) those non certified neck guards to ANY goalie whereas cat-eye cages/masks are not allowed to be sold (by most). Figure that one out.

47 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

While I do like Protechsport and his masks, I think it's just too slippery of a slope if I were to put myself in a position where I had a child who wanted to wear an non-certified mask. If something were to happen to them, I'd only blame myself for having allowed it. That CSA/HECC sticker gives some protection if their product fails (in terms of a lawsuit situation). I'm not defending plastic masks that pass certification. I'm saying it would be negligent on my part to just say okay and put a certified sticker on a product it wasn't made for. As far as certified masks go, I try to put goalies in Sportmask as much as I possibly can.

While we're on the topic, Canada goalies require BNQ certified neck guards to play yet any store that carries Vaughn, Brian's and Bauer can stock (and sell) those non certified neck guards to ANY goalie whereas cat-eye cages/masks are not allowed to be sold (by most). Figure that one out.

To add on to this, my understanding is that Maltese collars cannot be displayed in Canada because it does not meet BNQ cert. 
Weird that non-certified neckguards from the big 3 can be displayed and sold, while the Maltese stuff cannot.

Gel kits can't be displayed for sale either, because installing it voids CSA cert.

Since GM is carrying the Maltese product, kits and collars are on display at stores in the US and from what I have been told, have been selling very well.

Archived