Thoughts - New skates For My Son

Big2

So I'm looking at new skates for my son, thanks to Bynnyman and his update on the fat blades for the Bauer cowlingless skates.

Current skates Bauer reactor 9000 which he likes and are still in very good condition ( the boot atleast ) the cowling is starting to show  some normal wear on the front section.

He has always had 4mm blades but as Bunnyman stated recently Step has come out with fat blades for the Bauer skates which opens the door to this HOLDER. 

So I have limited knowledge on the options other than Bauer and True VH (boot only - would bot buy their 1 piece or Holder). Regarding the Bauer skates I would like to know if their trigger system works well and will hold up well to at least 2-3 blade changes a week during the season? 

CCM ?

Graf ?

Vaughn????

QUESTION are the new holders on the Bauer skates taller than their older Cowlings?

The new 2 piece from the 1s, 2s, and 1x goal skates holder is a lot higher up, its like a player holder so its taller.

if you look on @TheGoalNets instagram highlights, there is a comparison between true 1 piece, which is lower, like a cowling-boot skate is, and the 2 piece, which is much higher up. You drop weight with the cowlingless skate, and can get better pushes.

If your son likes the reactor skates, but the cowlings are wearing, you can purchase the vertexx cowlings and change them out.

Personally, I like the CCM RBZ skates, but it is entirely his preference. 
Your best bet is to try skates on in a store, like a Pure Hockey, if you live by a Bauer store, or a Goalie Monkey store, etc.

1 hour ago, Max27 said:

The new 2 piece from the 1s, 2s, and 1x goal skates holder is a lot higher up, its like a player holder so its taller.

if you look on @TheGoalNets instagram highlights, there is a comparison between true 1 piece, which is lower, like a cowling-boot skate is, and the 2 piece, which is much higher up. You drop weight with the cowlingless skate, and can get better pushes.

If your son likes the reactor skates, but the cowlings are wearing, you can purchase the vertexx cowlings and change them out.

Personally, I like the CCM RBZ skates, but it is entirely his preference. 
Your best bet is to try skates on in a store, like a Pure Hockey, if you live by a Bauer store, or a Goalie Monkey store, etc.

Don’t put the Vertexx Edge holder on skates it’s not designed for! 

If your son like’s Reactor boots, go to Vapor. That’s the same fit. 

The new CCM skates with the custom option should be a nice skate to look at too. They’ll have the same attack angle as a cowlingless skate, but with a toe cap. It’s really a nice middle ground.

I skate 1-2 times a week and have / had both 1S and 2S. No issues with the steel popping out. I also had no real issue transitioning from 4mm to 3mm, but I actually had 3mm in my One100... so I’ve been in them for 7ish years? 

The only recommendation I have if you go with Bauer 1X is the steel height. Swap that 3G steel for 5G. The taller and more durable steel is way better 

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Don’t put the Vertexx Edge holder on skates it’s not designed for! 

If your son like’s Reactor boots, go to Vapor. That’s the same fit. 

The new CCM skates with the custom option should be a nice skate to look at too. They’ll have the same attack angle as a cowlingless skate, but with a toe cap. It’s really a nice middle ground.

I skate 1-2 times a week and have / had both 1S and 2S. No issues with the steel popping out. I also had no real issue transitioning from 4mm to 3mm, but I actually had 3mm in my One100... so I’ve been in them for 7ish years? 

The only recommendation I have if you go with Bauer 1X is the steel height. Swap that 3G steel for 5G. The taller and more durable steel is way better 

exactly. I meant that you could buy the vertexx cowling for the reactor boot if the cowling was wearing. sorry if i worded that wrong lmao

TGN thanks here's the picture I had posted on a thread a while back!

True - with their player holder the highest

Bauer - in the middle between the CCM and True in height

CCM slightly lower than Bauer

I will compare the Bauer Reactor 9000 to the Bauer 1S/2S this week end

True 3.jpg

@Big2 If I were to venture into cowling-free waters once again, I would go with Bauer holders now, over True for a variety of reasons:

1) The Bauer holder is actually designed for goal

2) now non-Bauer steel is available in the US for the Bauer holder

3) The Bauer holder, with Step or Tydan steel is a pretty good height

That being said- I am most likely going to design my own cowl for those of us who have ZERO faith in cowling-free, but have found ourselves with few (if not zero) options for a cowling.

First, I need to see if my tool making skills are good enough to make a stick. I have been out of the composites game for a bit. 

21 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Bunnyman -thanks!

QUESTION - why the flip/flop on the VH (please do not reference their holder only the boot)?

I am all set on the blade side - Step is go to for steel it has been for years!

Oh no- I should clarify: NO Bauer boot fits me; True only for this hard to fit rabbit!!!!

Love True boots; HATE their holder!!!!

On 8/8/2018 at 5:23 PM, Big2 said:

So I'm looking at new skates for my son, thanks to Bynnyman and his update on the fat blades for the Bauer cowlingless skates.

Current skates Bauer reactor 9000 which he likes and are still in very good condition ( the boot atleast ) the cowling is starting to show  some normal wear on the front section.

He has always had 4mm blades but as Bunnyman stated recently Step has come out with fat blades for the Bauer skates which opens the door to this HOLDER. 

So I have limited knowledge on the options other than Bauer and True VH (boot only - would bot buy their 1 piece or Holder). Regarding the Bauer skates I would like to know if their trigger system works well and will hold up well to at least 2-3 blade changes a week during the season?  

CCM ?

Graf ?

Vaughn????

QUESTION are the new holders on the Bauer skates taller than their older Cowlings?

True will no longer be offering the boot only option.

You can order the one piece, two piece, or two piece unmounted.

The trigger works fine, I'm skating up to 3-4 times a week and only change steel once a week, max.

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

True will no longer be offering the boot only option.

You can order the one piece, two piece, or two piece unmounted.

The trigger works fine, I'm skating up to 3-4 times a week and only change steel once a week, max.

Chenner thanks for the input on th Bauer holder!

Bynnyman - Step also has thin blades   from 4MM to 3MM not sure for what skates but I learned that today!

13 hours ago, Big2 said:

TGN thanks here's the picture I had posted on a thread a while back!

True - with their player holder the highest

Bauer - in the middle between the CCM and True in height

CCM slightly lower than Bauer

I will compare the Bauer Reactor 9000 to the Bauer 1S/2S this week end

True 3.jpg

If the TRUE skate didn't have a step steel like blade, it might be as low as the CCM. I wish the runner was lower. It gives my knees and ankles undo strain everytime I recover from my b-fly. With proper technique, you can still get ample push off or angle attack with a lower runner.

3 hours ago, RichMan said:

If the TRUE skate didn't have a step steel like blade, it might be as low as the CCM. I wish the runner was lower. It gives my knees and ankles undo strain everytime I recover from my b-fly. With proper technique, you can still get ample push off or angle attack with a lower runner.

Richman - thank you for this information about the height of the skate. You bring up a valid point, a couple of years ago I samples an extreme blade from Step on my son's Bauer Reactors at the time and he did not like the extra height. I will certainly make it a point to stick to a set up that is not higher than the one he has know. 

Does anyone know if the Step blades for the Bauer cowlingless skates are higher than the OEM ones and by how much?

Question also applies to the CCM skates, I was told today that they are pitched forward more than the Bauers by 3 degrees if I'm not mistaken. Also CCM is coming out with a new cowling/holder that will use 1 screw to hold the blade, its being presented to retailers so next spring to us!

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Step does it all!!!!

That’s why I will start carrying their stuff in my shoppe.

You're in the US right?

I was under the impression Step wasn't allowed to sell the Vertexx Edge steel to US dealers.
If untrue, let me know when you get some DLC Edge steel!

5 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

You're in the US right?

I was under the impression Step wasn't allowed to sell the Vertexx Edge steel to US dealers.
If untrue, let me know when you get some DLC Edge steel!

Yes I am.

They aren’t (yet). I have a funny feeling that somehow, this may change sooner than later...

I don’t have my Step dealership yet. When I do, I am going to pimp that like a BOSS!!!

7 hours ago, RichMan said:

Food for thought...

Not sure if I caught it - is Maria referencing regular step steel or Extreme Step blades. If she's referencing the latter I would agree the regular step steel is only slightly taller than the OEM blades?

10 hours ago, Big2 said:

Not sure if I caught it - is Maria referencing regular step steel or Extreme Step blades. If she's referencing the latter I would agree the regular step steel is only slightly taller than the OEM blades?

Extreme. I had a chat with her about it after she posted it, pointing out the MASSIVE benefits to Step steel over stock Bauer. She clarified that she really meant the extreme. 

3 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Extreme. I had a chat with her about it after she posted it, pointing out the MASSIVE benefits to Step steel over stock Bauer. She clarified that she really meant the extreme. 

IP6 - thanks Extreme blades are not on the agenda, good information 

3 minutes ago, Big2 said:

IP6 - thanks Extreme blades are not on the agenda, good information 

The only time Extreme blades work is on something like my Vaughn cowls. I can’t think of many other places they work.

FYI- Step will not make Extreme blades for Graf cowls. Graf cowls are actually quite tall.

To all VH boot owners are there any options that you would recommend in regards to the

liner ( clarino/ moisture wicking - what are the differences )

tongue ( T guard / thin low - what are they talking about ? )

extra protection ( not sure where??)

My comments in bold:

3 hours ago, Big2 said:

To all VH boot owners are there any options that you would recommend in regards to the

liner ( clarino/ moisture wicking - what are the differences )

- I got clarino.  There's an option for a mesh looking material that lets moisture escape.  Think Graf G50 goalie boot.

tongue ( T guard / thin low - what are they talking about ? )

- I think this is a reinforced tongue to help combat lace bite.  Not necessary IMO unless you have a tender spot from prior boots

extra protection ( not sure where??)

- Also not necessary, it's more for players who block shots.  It's built into the sides

Archived