Brian's Heritage Series

Hills

http://www.goalies-only.com/page-heritage.php

As I am sure a lot of you on these forums know, Brian's has recently released their Heritage line. Since Brian's has a presence now I figured I'd ask a few questions here.

From what I understand the line is meant to be a more flexible style of pad for a more older-school/hybrid style goalie. Is that correct and has there been significant changes to the core of the pad to get that more flexibility.

One of attractive things about Brian's as a company is the customization abilities within their pads. With that is it possible to order a Gn3tik line or a SZ3 pads with the same soft feel?

Finally is there any pros wearing the Heritage line? Or are they using a Gn3tik or SBZ with Heritage graphics, I know Kaskisuo was wearing a pad with the graphics.

kasimir-kaskisuo-of-the-toronto-marlies-

This red/blue/white set would look great with my team...

20 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

How old school on your pads will you do with your Heritage series? Do you make old spec gloves? 

I moved this into the thread that was created for the Heritage series.

Hey Hills, 

To answer your questions...

Yes - pro's like Kaskisuo and Hellberg have worn the Heritage pads this season, while others just graphics on a GN3Tik pad.. (Demko/Sparks/Raanta) 
Many of our pro's prefer a stiffer-style pad, so the Heritage wouldn't be ideal.

The overall goal of the Heritage line is to not forget about another segment of the goalie market. The G-NETik and SubZero lines are incredible, but are designed for the forward thinking goalies craving technology and innovation. We do realize that some goalies are very traditional and resistant to changes such as Smart Straps, Smart Toe, etc.. and want a softer core pad. 

The Heritage leg pad is completely different than the SubZero / G-NETik in the core and its composition.. borrowing only a small few features here and there from each model respectively. 

The goal of this pad is instead of consumers taking a SZ3 or G-NETik 3 model, and spending hundreds of dollars to add leather strapping, softer flex core, sba material instead of primo, binded blocking surface, 2 pc cuff, retro graphics, sewn on Brian's script.. etc... they can take this as a base model and could easily just add Smart Straps (at no charge) etc... 

When you say order G-NETik/SZ3 with softer feel, what is it you like over the Heritage model overall (strapping, graphics, etc?) May be cheaper and more effective to take Heritage and add w/e features from the others you desire.

On 4/11/2017 at 9:45 AM, goalie said:

What is the advantage of a 80 vs 90. Is there a gap when you are down on the ice?

More boot angle means the pad touches the ice later on in a deep and wide crouch and interferes less when pushing off while in the butterfly.

2 minutes ago, Hills said:

More boot angle means the pad touches the ice later on in a deep and wide crouch and interferes less when pushing off while in the butterfly.

On flip side though, does't less mean more of the pad will have ice contact in the butterfly? 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

On flip side though, does't less mean more of the pad will have ice contact in the butterfly? 

Yes, it is give or take and it is personal preference. It is said that a non-90 degree boot can make the pad not seal properly and open up the thighs off the ice as well.

18 minutes ago, Hills said:

Yes, it is give or take and it is personal preference. It is said that a non-90 degree boot can make the pad not seal properly and open up the thighs off the ice as well.

Thanks, just wanted to make sure we didn't skip over the pros and cons! Each one has a trade-off. 

Thanks for the info. I tried the original Subs with the 78 toe and felt really unbalanced when I was down on the ice. Dumped them and went to the CCM.

I asked the question, because I was interested in the Heritage, but I assume there is an upcharge to change the toe. I don't get it that Pro pads are now $2k CAD and you have to pay for mods they already have patterns for (not just Brian's).

1 hour ago, goalie said:

Thanks for the info. I tried the original Subs with the 78 toe and felt really unbalanced when I was down on the ice. Dumped them and went to the CCM.

I asked the question, because I was interested in the Heritage, but I assume there is an upcharge to change the toe. I don't get it that Pro pads are now $2k CAD and you have to pay for mods they already have patterns for (not just Brian's).

Gear prices are getting out of hand, its ridiculous.

On 4/12/2017 at 11:08 AM, goalie said:

There is a $40 upcharge to mod boot taper. It can be seen on the customizer.

The old subzero taper was VERY aggressive (78).. it really affected the seal of the pad. 

Since then we have re-designed the cores, changed how the knee cradle is designed, etc.. you get perfect seal with both 80 or 90 degree tapers on any of our current models. 

I prefer the 80, as you are not 'locked' down, provide hybrid feel, and still seal ice completely, however the 90 is great too, just not for me. 

Just to add to this thread since I've seen the Heritage set in person. I am pretty sure it is the same as this set pictured. It looks fantastic, the creme and retro brown look really great together. Blocker feels good and I wouldn't mind giving it a try, but the glove felt awful to me. Then again I have only had about 2 gloves ever not feel awful so I am extremely picky. The pads were SO nice, I loved the stiffer thighs compared to many other pads on the market.

goalies-plus-brians-ice-hockey-goalie-ge

On 4/12/2017 at 0:18 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

Gear prices are getting out of hand, its ridiculous.

I think you would be shocked to find out how little we make off a set of pads due to the quality of materials, labor, etc we use.. Unfortunately due to the Canadian dollar etc, our costs have increased. 

The thing that boggles my mind is how brands can charge the price they do for import 'pro' gear.. I know they justify it as marketing expenses / product development etc.. but thats just fluff... They are making the gear for half the cost and charging same price as North American products.

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:41 AM, Brians_Joz said:

There is a $40 upcharge to mod boot taper. It can be seen on the customizer.

The old subzero taper was VERY aggressive (78).. it really affected the seal of the pad. 

Since then we have re-designed the cores, changed how the knee cradle is designed, etc.. you get perfect seal with both 80 or 90 degree tapers on any of our current models. 

I prefer the 80, as you are not 'locked' down, provide hybrid feel, and still seal ice completely, however the 90 is great too, just not for me. 

Do you inventory any pads with the other tapers, or does that make it custom, and into the wait time?

6 hours ago, Brians_Joz said:

I think you would be shocked to find out how little we make off a set of pads due to the quality of materials, labor, etc we use.. Unfortunately due to the Canadian dollar etc, our costs have increased. 

The thing that boggles my mind is how brands can charge the price they do for import 'pro' gear.. I know they justify it as marketing expenses / product development etc.. but thats just fluff... They are making the gear for half the cost and charging same price as North American products.

That post wasn't directed at Brian's directly, it just so happens the comment came up in a Brian's thread.  Goalie gear as a whole these days are out of control.  Granted I know, inflation.

Archived