My Old Team has no tendy

Dharmaboy

So after a horrific season last year due to ringers and over skilled players on the opposing teams in my small 6 team Intramural Over 35 league, I found out my team has still failed to secure a goalie. I told them beginning of last season that that was my last season due to the fact that the guys we play against take it too seriously and I am losing enjoyment in playing net. I had more fun getting lit up by Midget AA and AAA players this summer and I didn't get mad once. The kids were all nice and respectful. 

After almost losing my knee in the final game of the season when a douchebag who had already scored 4 goals and needed to score on me during a break away and getting tripped at full speed and crashing into my leg in the final game, I said enough is enough. Worst part is he sniped the penalty shot on me, when I was struggling to stand after the hit. That was it. I am done with this league I told my team mates.

I was emailed a few weeks ago to confirm me missing this season due to the state of the league, and then today I see a posting by a team mate on campus looking for a tender. I think the season starts in less than 2 weeks and they have no one.

I feel a bit bad but I had to leave or else I would end up hating playing goal. I dunno what to do.

35 minutes ago, Dharmaboy said:

So after a horrific season last year due to ringers and over skilled players on the opposing teams in my small 6 team Intramural Over 35 league, I found out my team has still failed to secure a goalie. I told them beginning of last season that that was my last season due to the fact that the guys we play against take it too seriously and I am losing enjoyment in playing net. I had more fun getting lit up by Midget AA and AAA players this summer and I didn't get mad once. The kids were all nice and respectful. 

After almost losing my knee in the final game of the season when a douchebag who had already scored 4 goals and needed to score on me during a break away and getting tripped at full speed and crashing into my leg in the final game, I said enough is enough. Worst part is he sniped the penalty shot on me, when I was struggling to stand after the hit. That was it. I am done with this league I told my team mates.

I was emailed a few weeks ago to confirm me missing this season due to the state of the league, and then today I see a posting by a team mate on campus looking for a tender. I think the season starts in less than 2 weeks and they have no one.

I feel a bit bad but I had to leave or else I would end up hating playing goal. I dunno what to do.

do whats right for you. if you think youre gonna end up hating goalie from it dont do it 

If they can’t get a goalie that’s either their problem or the league’s problem. Do what’s right for you. That’s what happened to my last team, we had 3 goalies, one of them and their mom was apart of the fact that I didn’t play at all in districts which was basically gonna be the last games of the season. However it was the drama and the lack of responsibility of the coaches that made me leave, so pretty much 1 goalie doesn’t really play anymore and the other obviously left bc she felt she was better than everyone else. The coach told my dad I would be the third string goalie even though she was bullshitting me cause they didn’t even have a goalie, and this was for 19U A which simply isn’t my level plus they’re full of crap, and it took them a while to finally find a goalie too, idk if they even have one or not ?

Sorry that’s a lot of drama but like I said if you don’t wanna go back most of the time it isn’t your problem 

I'm someone who is particularly susceptible to guilt, and I've still left a few teams and stood by my decision when they said they wanted me back (I always handled it politely, giving them plenty of time to find a replacement, recommending places for them to look, etc).

Hockey should be fun, especially if you're not being paid to be there. Even when I'm tired from work and don't really feel like playing an 11pm game, it's still an oasis in my week, a time  when I can play around in net, have a good time with my teammates, and get my ya-yas out. I know that on my drive home, I'll be happy I went. I generally have an "any time I'm on the ice playing the position I love is time well spent", but there are always certain teams and leagues that threaten to erode that attitude. I think it's smart to recognize that these scenarios can damage my relationship with the game, and should be avoided. I never want to look at playing hockey as a chore.

I was in similar situation last two seasons with one of my teams - only few players show for game, everytime someone new and game was sometimes realy awfull. I started to go angry from hockey and that is big warning for me, because I usualy enjoy every minute on ice. I have friends here and they gave me chance to continue years ago when I wanted to quit. So I decided last year, if that doesn´t change during the whole season, I´ll quit here. And told them I´m at the border to not come back. It changed at the end of season and this season looks good so far.

You gave them a lot of time to find new goalie - the whole last season. If you don´t want to go back, don´t  feel guilty. If you play for fun (not for money) then it should be fun. It is not easy to leave your team (I done that two years ago in another sport after 20 years), but don´t let decision made by "guilt that they can´t find goalie"  make to ruin you another season or even hockey.

I say play but do it for yourself.  Use the ice time as practice.  Use the game situations to practice new things you may not usually use in a game for fear of not feeling comfortable using a new technique.  Tell the team you will play while they continue to find someone else but let them know that you are strictly using the time to better your game, not theirs.  

Archived