Fullright's 2018-2019

Fullright

Did better than the last skate this time out. Opposing goalie didnt want the teams to switch ends so it turned into kinda of a heavy night for a 90 min skate. And, of course, pucks found meat on the right arm, right thigh and the right calf. Finished up with one of my favorite drills: the rebound drill. Could have used the oxygen mask once we were done. :)

Comments welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work Joe! Unreal saves at :56. That sucks getting pucks where your gear isn’t, I hate that. Looks like your really held your own in rebound. Our rink guy literally throws open the gates the second our ice time ends and yells at us to get off of the ice, so never any time for rebound or a shoot out at the end of a skate. 

Thanks Cam. I don't know why but going all the way back to the Dark Ages when I started, I've always had a lot of fun with the rapid fire and rebound drills. The chirping during the latter  should be on a comedy show; some of the funniest nonsense I get to hear.

I feel you Joe, I get way more angry in shinnys than in a game. You can’t take a shinny to heart, it is very unlike a game, the speed is different, shooter always had way more time and space, the passing lanes seem to almost never be taken away. You did make some great saves in there. That was a Perfectly executed skate save at 1:02. Great save at 4:05. That was a bit of a dink move at 5:05 where you make the save, hold on (game it would be a whistle) you drop if for a teammate and the opposition tries to shovel the puck in for a goal. That stuff pisses me off. 

18 hours ago, Fullright said:

Rough outing below. I wasnt very good. Externally, I kept my cool. Internally, I was highly annoyed. Onto the next one.

Thanks for taking a look. Commentary welcome.

Looked pretty damned good to me. As Cam said, your opponents had way too much time and way too easy as far as not being checked was concerned. I'd be pretty proud to put in a performance like that.

From where I stand you made them work for their goals - all that and the gauntlet at the end? Man you've got stamina - I'd be carried off on a stretcher at  that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks fellas. I appreciate the encouragement.

Below was another rough night. Andrew, the other goalie got more than he wanted from white despite playing pretty well. After the swtich, white, led by Tom, tore me to pieces. The skate was a little disjointed. Turn out was the lowest since the first one back in late October and white was much stronger than dark. I played less than ok but not terrible overall. Tom had his own high light reel. You'll know who Tom is pretty quickly.

Thanks for taking a look. Let me know what you think please.

Overall Joe that was a good skate... Loved the saves at 3:33 and 3:50 especially.

I enjoy watching your style... as much as goaltending has evolved being more traditional still stops the puck.

Have you given any thought to updating your pads?  Kenesky and Brown still make traditional pads with some updates

@seagoal, @beansbats & @cwarnar, thank you very much fellas! means a lot to me. Cam/Imperative knows I want his autograph going back 5 yrs so he already knows I thank him as well. The D is/was awful but loosely organized drop in with some genuinely skilled skaters means getting lit up. I don't worry about GA  (nice thing about not being a game goalie anymore); I do worry about my breakdowns and failures and there were a lot here. Tom (the wiry guy in white) tends to use me as his highlight reel. Hard to hate him...good guy. The glove save was just dumb luck. He killed me on everything else. 

@cwarnar , yes I have. In fact 3 yrs ago I tried a modern pad (a decent but second tier pad made by Thompson) and 2 yrs ago I tried CCM eflex and both times my hips killed me for about 4 or 5 days. I am sure I just haven't found the right ones, and my joints are kind of "set in" like an old hinge. The hips, knock on wood, have never been an issue since I started in 1971 and my two episodes kinda scared me. They also, this is going to sound weird, made me feel top heavy. Such light pads felt so odd, like all my weight was above my belt line. If I had more time to play left, my "status" is pretty much week to week, I'd put more effort into changing the pillows. You guys use them so effectively to get across the crease so much better than me and my peers ever did. My "style" was more effective in the last century when I was kind of in shape; I was kind of ok then. :)

You best get some soap and a rag, because that blocker is FILTHY. In other words you robbed ‘em blind with that thing. 

Regarding pads, many goalies who’ve been around for a while struggle to adjust to newer pads. Sometimes the older gear is just better suited to their game. For those guys who aren’t interested in updating the methods they use on the ice, I think it’s better to stick with the old pads, especially if the pads still feel fine and aren’t falling apart. If they need to be replaced, looking for older pads in good condition is one option or having a small manufacturer like Brown or Kenesky build a set to the old shape and feel would be another option. 

Also, with new style pads, often those used to old style pads will put the pads on far too tight. You’re especially going to cause hip, ankle and knee issues if you tie the toe-ties tight. They either need to have 1-2” of slack or use a modern device like Prolaces that provide elasticity that saves your joints. It’s amazing how strapping adjustments can have a massive affect. 

As well as what @WillyGrips13 said, you made some awesome skate saves! No. 6 looks like he could wash 2nd story windows without a ladder.

Lots of "good" goals - i.e very difficult for you to have even a small chance on. One thing I noticed - don't know how different this group was from others, but I don't recall them  making as many cross-crease passes converted on to 1-timers before this session which was where they got the bulk of their goals and probably one of the hardest things to defend against.  Great outing Joe!

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, Fullright said:

@WillyGrips13 and @Colander thanks fellas. I agree I probably put the pads on wrong incorrectly.

Here any type of pads would not have mattered. Just a goal-nado. Try and do better this Saturday.

Oh, I’ve let in that many - and even got asked back! Lol!

I can’t get over your D on that 2-on-1 around 3:15. He was right there, had his stick in the path, and did NOT even try to help. I think it took more effort to miss than to lay his stick on the ice and intercept it! Yeesh!

@Colander No, Fridays broke up in late October 18 because the building wanted to make it 35 and older. Most of us left that building preferring to play against younger guys who are, in my opinion, much safer to play against although they do tend to score a lot of goals on me. :)  So, since then, it has all been Saturday evenings at a different rink with a younger group who are really great offensively. But this building,  like the last one,  wont let me wear my real mask.  I did get a little age related shock this past Saturday, however, when #20 in black put two and two together telling me he graduated high school with my daughter 4 yrs ago. :( 

Thanks @Lucky Pucker and @cwarnar....just didn't go well. Do better this Saturday.

My struggles continued here but during the last half, I began to feel a little better about things. I got the crap knocked out of me with a very heavy night. Our skate is 90 mins and most of the film is from the last hour after white beat up Andrew at the other end. Best thing for me though. For me to either get squared away or try and catch up to the skaters is to just simply get bombed. I got my wish here.

Thanks for checking it out. Commentary welcome.

I don’t know how you hang in there for 90 minutes and get shelled the whole time, that wasn’t a shinny that was a 90 minute breakaway and odd man rush challenge. I thought you played great, so many big saves, just robbing guys! Shinny like that is not a good measuring stick for your game/ability. You faced more grade A quality scoring chances in that skate than I have faced in all my games combined this season. 

Pretty good skate offensively with a lot of skaters; made for a decent pace. I played better than I have during the past month or so. Also had some luck with pucks that just hit me. My confidence has been lacking so hopefully this helps establish it some. I am going to miss the next one; sucks but it gives a nagging stomach muscle a chance to rest. Let me know what you think please. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Too many saves to count ok this one Joe! I didn’t count but it seemed like you made at least 15-20 saves before they were finally able to score on a one timer and then you immediately Rob them with the paddle down! I thought you looked confident, really trusted your positioning and angles and it paid off! 

only criticism i would have from that last one is maybe you got caught too deep in your crease a few times, but otherwise you made some really insane saves, and don't let pick-ups get to you, it's happened to me a lot. i don't have the best temper and i've gotten on myself a lot for goals that don't even matter. keep up the good work :) 

Archived