Too much padding in goalie mask?

southpawtendy48

So long story short, after OTNY telling us again and again the mask would come in at x time, they stop responding all together and finally a mask comes in after sending them the circumference of my head, and the helmet fits horribly even though my head is around 21 inches in circumference even though it says on the site that it fits 21 best. 

Ok, enough of my complaining, just had to get that off my chest.

anyway, I love the look of the mask aesthetically and I want to make it work. I added a chin sling and it works great but I still need to add foam. like almost an inch and a half around the top of my head and my cheeks/temples. I noticed when putting it on it suppressed my hearing, this is after putting in some foam and I’m wondering if there’s a limit for too much foam in a mask. Thanks. I’ll send in pictures if asked

4 hours ago, aircanuck said:

They botched something like this so badly and you still want to tuck your brain under there? 

I know, it’s just at the moment if I wanted to get a helmet that’s perfect for my head It’s gonna take some time so I wanted to make do for now I guess? But I guess that confirms it for me

3 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

I know, it’s just at the moment if I wanted to get a helmet that’s perfect for my head It’s gonna take some time so I wanted to make do for now I guess? But I guess that confirms it for me

I feel your pain, you want to rock that new bucket and have it dialed in, but they came up short. The mask is my most picky piece of equipment, they just should be helping you out with this. 

17 hours ago, aircanuck said:

I feel your pain, you want to rock that new bucket and have it dialed in, but they came up short. The mask is my most picky piece of equipment, they just should be helping you out with this. 

They are helping in a way, I just now realized they wanted pictures of the mask on my head but at this point I’m realizing the gaps are so big that I’d basically just be putting a foam block around my head. and on top of that they took weeks to respond. I can list what other things they botched too

6 minutes ago, GoalieParts said:

This is Dennis from GoalieParts. We have a 100% fit guarantee and will work to make sure it is right. Please contact me at dk@goalieparts.com and we will figure it out. 

Dennis 

My dad got your guys’ email a few weeks ago regarding pictures with the mask on and I will start working on that with you guys. Thanks. 

On 12/11/2018 at 1:11 AM, southpawtendy48 said:

So long story short, after OTNY telling us again and again the mask would come in at x time, they stop responding all together and finally a mask comes in after sending them the circumference of my head, and the helmet fits horribly even though my head is around 21 inches in circumference even though it says on the site that it fits 21 best. 

Ok, enough of my complaining, just had to get that off my chest. 

anyway, I love the look of the mask aesthetically and I want to make it work. I added a chin sling and it works great but I still need to add foam. like almost an inch and a half around the top of my head and my cheeks/temples. I noticed when putting it on it suppressed my hearing, this is after putting in some foam and I’m wondering if there’s a limit for too much foam in a mask. Thanks. I’ll send in pictures if asked

Mask fit relies on more than circumference.  Trust me, I have wanted a 961 to fit me right so badly that I've purchased and later sold 5 of them just hoping I would get one that would work.  They fit my head fine circumference wise,  but the shell shape just does not work for my head, not matter how many foam shims or different thicknesses I've tried.  I found that Protechsport was a great option for me as its fully custom and that the Sportmask VX-5 and PC/Vaughn VM Pro also fit me pretty well.  Masks are kind of like skates in that regard, the fit is adjustable and customizeable to a degree, but sometimes it's just the wrong fit for you.

Just now, jayluv54 said:

Mask fit relies on more than circumference.  Trust me, I have wanted a 961 to fit me right so badly that I've purchased and later sold 5 of them just hoping I would get one that would work.  They fit my head fine circumference wise,  but the shell shape just does not work for my head, not matter how many foam shims or different thicknesses I've tried.  I found that Protechsport was a great option for me as its fully custom and that the Sportmask VX-5 and PC/Vaughn VM Pro also fit me pretty well.  Masks are kind of like skates in that regard, the fit is adjustable and customizeable to a degree, but sometimes it's just the wrong fit for you.

Thank you for the input. That’s probably part of what’s wrong. I’m leaning towards Warwick if I’m going long term. 

@southpawtendy48 while we're all certainly on here to give our two cents on anything and everything gear/goalie related... if you have made requests to the manufacturer (or their rep) and they have asked you to provide information to help service your purchase... my advice is to jump on that prior to asking any of us. They know their product and how it's intended to fit/work for their customers. 

Had you sent them pictures a few weeks ago perhaps they could have ironed out the padding issue or found that maybe it just wasn't the right one for you and get something in your hands that is. This sort of thing happens when you make a purchase based on what you want instead of perhaps what you need... and I'll give you the lack of opportunity to try on prior to purchase may be a factor here too. I now I'm certainly guilty of that on several occasions. Please follow up with @GoalieParts and follow up on this thread or another to tell us about the fitment process and how satisfied you are once everything is said and done. 

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

@southpawtendy48 while we're all certainly on here to give our two cents on anything and everything gear/goalie related... if you have made requests to the manufacturer (or their rep) and they have asked you to provide information to help service your purchase... my advice is to jump on that prior to asking any of us. They know their product and how it's intended to fit/work for their customers. 

Had you sent them pictures a few weeks ago perhaps they could have ironed out the padding issue or found that maybe it just wasn't the right one for you and get something in your hands that is. This sort of thing happens when you make a purchase based on what you want instead of perhaps what you need... and I'll give you the lack of opportunity to try on prior to purchase may be a factor here too. I now I'm certainly guilty of that on several occasions. Please follow up with @GoalieParts and follow up on this thread or another to tell us about the fitment process and how satisfied you are once everything is said and done. 

What you said is absolutely true. However what I thought is this was gonna be something I needed.. it is a senior shell but says it fits 18.5-23.5... which is a huge difference.. and I thought it would’ve fit initially anyway. They just came out with a junior certified but I’m not wasting more money until I figure this out. I will update this once I get pictures. My question was if you can put too much padding and yes that does depend on the fit. I was seeking this to see if I’m able to make a quick fix before I do anything else, I probably could have sent them pictures first but I’m not at home and with the helmet at the moment lol. 

58 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

What you said is absolutely true. However what I thought is this was gonna be something I needed.. it is a senior shell but says it fits 18.5-23.5... which is a huge difference.. and I thought it would’ve fit initially anyway. They just came out with a junior certified but I’m not wasting more money until I figure this out. I will update this once I get pictures. My question was if you can put too much padding and yes that does depend on the fit. I was seeking this to see if I’m able to make a quick fix before I do anything else, I probably could have sent them pictures first but I’m not at home and with the helmet at the moment lol. 

Agreed with @BadAngle41 .

You had a concern and @GoalieParts  created an account to respond directly to you.

I've not purchased anything from Goalie Parts, but that type of actions feels like pretty good customer service to me. Please work with them to get it right. If they have a 100% fit guarantee, push them to honor that and make it right. Please only complain on the board if they leave you out at to dry... Like your D man on a 2-0.

Please be realistic that fitting a goalie mask is a not black belt 6 sigma process and some mistakes may occur. Let us know how this works out. I have a feeling you'll end up with a good fitting mask.

1 minute ago, TheGoalNet said:

Agreed with @BadAngle41 .

You had a concern and @GoalieParts  created an account to respond directly to you.

I've not purchased anything from Goalie Parts, but that type of actions feels like pretty good customer service to me. Please work with them to get it right. If they have a 100% fit guarantee, push them to honor that and make it right. Please only complain on the board if they leave you out at to dry... Like your D man on a 2-0.

Please be realistic that fitting a goalie mask is a not black belt 6 sigma process and some mistakes may occur. Let us know how this works out. I have a feeling you'll end up with a good fitting mask.

You’re absolutely right. I wanted to get this off my chest and by doing so I might’ve created more of an issue, if I did it’s my bad. my initial question was if there was ever too much padding you could put on a mask but I guess that’s been answered. @GoalieParts thank you for the quick response, I did not want to give you guys a bad name. Me and my dad will send pictures as soon as we can. I hope we can work this out. 

Archived