Bauer Supreme Knee Pad - 2014 Model

TheGoalNet

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

These supremes or 1 of the newer models?

Marketing language is pretty crappy for differences between 1S and S18. Is it just the removal of the Curv and new internal colors?

The shape of the pad inside the knee (like right on the knee cap) is at least different if not a different material. Beyond that I have no idea. 

40 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Yeah, it's this G Form tear drop shape in the 1S

20181229_154256.jpg

Feels like this piece should be on the inner edge where your knee actually hits. 

I’m also confused about the use of this material here. It says that it stiffens on impact, wouldn’t we want something that gets more absorbent on impact?

13 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Feels like this piece should be on the inner edge where your knee actually hits. 

I’m also confused about the use of this material here. It says that it stiffens on impact, wouldn’t we want something that gets more absorbent on impact?

Yeah, I don't really have any argument supporting it. These are the one pair of knee pads I've used over the last couple years that always required some extra padding, like the padded Bauer base layer. 

I will say that although your are right that there should be some more on the inner edge of the knee, I think you may be discounting how often we are actually landing almost straight down on the knee cap. The hip does most of our rotating in butterfly flares, so it's mostly when we stretch out our groins to extend further out that we roll over into the inner side of our knee. Even then it's more like the inner side of the knee cap. 

Some have also argued that this material hardens in cold temperature, but the proximity to the body probably is what they are expecting to keep it in its softer state.

That being said, the size of that pad kind of defies logic and if it also behaves like D30, then there's not much I can justify there. 

35 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Yeah, I don't really have any argument supporting it. These are the one pair of knee pads I've used over the last couple years that always required some extra padding, like the padded Bauer base layer. 

I will say that although your are right that there should be some more on the inner edge of the knee, I think you may be discounting how often we are actually landing almost straight down on the knee cap. The hip does most of our rotating in butterfly flares, so it's mostly when we stretch out our groins to extend further out that we roll over into the inner side of our knee. Even then it's more like the inner side of the knee cap. 

Some have also argued that this material hardens in cold temperature, but the proximity to the body probably is what they are expecting to keep it in its softer state.

That being said, the size of that pad kind of defies logic and if it also behaves like D30, then there's not much I can justify there. 

Very well thought out response there... it’s clear you’ve studied your knee pads! Hence the goldy locks post 😂 

yoy make some great points about where the knee actually hits 

Im no material scientist, which bauer does have on staff, but it would seem like no one considered how the material reacts when your knee hits it? Or it’s not clearly explained how it reacts differently for a knee vs a puck. 

For me, it feels like Max Sorb or something gel like for the internal side body side of the knee cup and then XRD on areas that pucks could hit and you don’t land on is the perfect layup? 

6 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

These supremes or 1 of the newer models?

Marketing language is pretty crappy for differences between 1S and S18. Is it just the removal of the Curv and new internal colors?

The 1st gen. Supremes. One of the least comforatable knee pads I wore. The newer ones on the market seem like the material used now is softer on landing. I want to get a pair of the s18 ones and give them a go but am still loving my CCM pros.

On 12/16/2018 at 11:46 PM, wox33 said:

My guess is for going down. Mine were okay for a while but it flattens out and gets hard after a while and really did a number to my knees. That’s why I switched to the 1x. That and I was tired of taping them up but that garter you got there should take care of that. 

A bit late in replying, but just saw this.  Confirmed, for comfort when going down.  They start to hurt after a short time.  Great knee pad other than the lack of padding directly at the knee cap.

On 12/29/2018 at 8:40 PM, Snowman30 said:

The 1st gen. Supremes. One of the least comforatable knee pads I wore. The newer ones on the market seem like the material used now is softer on landing. I want to get a pair of the s18 ones and give them a go but am still loving my CCM pros.

I'll sell you mine..the s18, the ccms are too bulky...1 skate snd I returned it. 

On 12/29/2018 at 4:29 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Very well thought out response there... it’s clear you’ve studied your knee pads! Hence the goldy locks post 😂 

yoy make some great points about where the knee actually hits 

Im no material scientist, which bauer does have on staff, but it would seem like no one considered how the material reacts when your knee hits it? Or it’s not clearly explained how it reacts differently for a knee vs a puck. 

For me, it feels like Max Sorb or something gel like for the internal side body side of the knee cup and then XRD on areas that pucks could hit and you don’t land on is the perfect layup? 

Believe it or not, Flexorb and Poron XRD behave almost the exact same way and are essentially the exact same material. Flexorb's gimmick is that it's segmented to form to the body's shape as opposed to being a sheet like XRD or D30.

The real problem with the 1s knee guards, in my opinion, was not the Poron. It was how it was constructed on the inside. Not all of the interior was covered in foam. Instead it's a mix of foam, stitching and binding. There are so many hard parts on the inside, it would leave marks and scrapes on my knee. Plus it really doesn't take long for the foam in the inside of the knee guard to compress and get hard.

Contrast that with the interior of the 1x knee guards, and you'll notice there isn't a single non-foam covered portion for your knee to hit. Couple that with the great strapping, and that's why the 1x is the best knee guard out in my opinion, with the G3/G4 coming in a distant second.

Archived