Bauer Supreme Knee Pad - 2014 Model

TheGoalNet

So... I plan to test a lot of knee pads this year. This got started with 1X. 

After 1 skate, they are better than I expected! But still skeptical it’s the right style for me long term. When I initially was looking at Bauer, I wanted 1S. A couple trusted sources steered me to 1X. 

I decided to look into S18 Vapor ( 2018 updated version of 1S). After doing some research, seems like Supreme before 1S is considered the favorite of the Supreme line. 

Scored a nearly new set on Sideline Swap... more details to come. 

2E807213-70AF-44A3-9F9B-51BBC4A24F78.jpeg

53F9D05D-7396-4C75-8677-F0024E6915FC.jpeg

Angone using these? They as good as advertised?

2 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

Used 2 sets.  had to add my own padding in the inner knee cap, as there basically is none.  i use warriors now with my warrior pads, but these were great with my old RBKs.

More padding due to impact issues or for knee comfort when going down? 

26 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

More padding due to impact issues or for knee comfort when going down? 

My guess is for going down. Mine were okay for a while but it flattens out and gets hard after a while and really did a number to my knees. That’s why I switched to the 1x. That and I was tired of taping them up but that garter you got there should take care of that. 

I used a pair of Vaughn V5 knee pads, similar in shape and build to these Bauers before moving to 1X.  It's a riff on the original grey RBK knee pads.

I like the 1X a lot, I've even been able to get my toes out a bit more for a wider butterfly flare with them.  They're more of a "wrap" style knee pad as opposed to the Vaughn and Supreme style which I'd say is more of a "box" knee pad.

The comfort issue at the knee IMO is universal to all "box" style knee pads - these have a square-ish build and clearly defined edges/corners.

See my snip below (I realize I drew a box around the outside of the knee pad, oops)

The issue is that our knees aren't square, they're round.  So when you drive your knees down you're hitting a flat surface, which may cause tenderness to the bony or protruding parts of your knee.  There is a slim amount of void where your knee can shift forward-ish into the corner pocket, causing more pressure and discomfort.

image.png.5bb0f5ef93a285065df533379eb97089.png

Used that pads and agree with wox33 that they get pretty hard over time. Bauer tryed to fix this on newer models. It is better but not ideal, because the soft material should be in the whole knee area. 

Another thing is that there is a lot of rubbing on the sides - Bauer definitely should use better material here like on newer models.

tir4Yr2.jpg?2

221412417.jpg

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I used a pair of Vaughn V5 knee pads, similar in shape and build to these Bauers before moving to 1X.  It's a riff on the original grey RBK knee pads.

I like the 1X a lot, I've even been able to get my toes out a bit more for a wider butterfly flare with them.  They're more of a "wrap" style knee pad as opposed to the Vaughn and Supreme style which I'd say is more of a "box" knee pad.

The comfort issue at the knee IMO is universal to all "box" style knee pads - these have a square-ish build and clearly defined edges/corners.

See my snip below (I realize I drew a box around the outside of the knee pad, oops)

The issue is that our knees aren't square, they're round.  So when you drive your knees down you're hitting a flat surface, which may cause tenderness to the bony or protruding parts of your knee.  There is a slim amount of void where your knee can shift forward-ish into the corner pocket, causing more pressure and discomfort.

image.png.5bb0f5ef93a285065df533379eb97089.png

I used the Brian's now which are like stripped down version of these. The knee landing is very soft squishy foams. Sounds like a little mod with the Bauer's and they could be great.

image.thumb.png.0996e3eb30af692dfe54086e702b9d1c.png

I've used the Supreme knee guards since I was like 11 and at first, it feels boxy and uncomfortable until you break it in and get used to wearing knee guards that are bigger than most others. I love them and find them to be very protective and I have no fear of taking shots off of them. As they break down, sometimes landing on them can be uncomfortable but I'll usually just replace the foam where you would land.

I've used these ones and the 1S ones.  I've always needed some extra knee padding, so I was using volleyball knee pads at the time I was using the original Supremes and then used the left over Maltese slabs from my M****** knee blocks more recently with the 1S.  I really like their strapping, except the top strap always seemed a little short for my thighs.  Durability was a bit of an issue for the original ones, that got fixed with the 1S for the most part.  My originals have the internals worn through on the top section where the middle knee cap rubs against the top piece.  Didn't see anything like that with my 1S, but I also used the originals for way longer than my 1S.

Currently the originals are still sitting on a shelf in my basement, and I transplanted the anchor strap at the bottom onto a set of Vaughn V7's, which I'll be posting later.

Of all the knee pads I've used, the Bauers have been my one of my favourites in terms of fit, coverage, not being bulky, but the knee landing comfort has needed mods.

1 hour ago, Mroy31 said:

I've used these ones and the 1S ones.  I've always needed some extra knee padding, so I was using volleyball knee pads at the time I was using the original Supremes and then used the left over Maltese slabs from my M****** knee blocks more recently with the 1S.  I really like their strapping, except the top strap always seemed a little short for my thighs.  Durability was a bit of an issue for the original ones, that got fixed with the 1S for the most part.  My originals have the internals worn through on the top section where the middle knee cap rubs against the top piece.  Didn't see anything like that with my 1S, but I also used the originals for way longer than my 1S.

Currently the originals are still sitting on a shelf in my basement, and I transplanted the anchor strap at the bottom onto a set of Vaughn V7's, which I'll be posting later.

Of all the knee pads I've used, the Bauers have been my one of my favourites in terms of fit, coverage, not being bulky, but the knee landing comfort has needed mods.

Maybe these are required?

image.thumb.png.d47e2b529832353b5ea0dfed7f83a617.png

25 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Maybe these are required?

image.thumb.png.d47e2b529832353b5ea0dfed7f83a617.png

I actually used the entire base layer with the padded inner thigh and knee section, that's what got me through using them for so long.  I guess I didn't use the volleyball pads for as long as I thought with the Bauer's, but had used them most of my life before I got that base layer.

I use the Oneiric Genesis base layer now, and between the Vaughn V7's, Maltese KTP's and Bauer 1S, I only NEED the extra padding in the Bauers.

12 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

So... I plan to test a lot of knee pads this year. This got started with 1X. 

After 1 skate, they are better than I expected! But still skeptical it’s the right style for me long term. When I initially was looking at Bauer, I wanted 1S. A couple trusted sources steered me to 1X. 

I decided to look into S18 Vapor ( 2018 updated version of 1S). After doing some research, seems like Supreme before 1S is considered the favorite of the Supreme line. 

Scored a nearly new set on Sideline Swap... more details to come. 

2E807213-70AF-44A3-9F9B-51BBC4A24F78.jpeg

53F9D05D-7396-4C75-8677-F0024E6915FC.jpeg

Angone using these? They as good as advertised?

I don't care what anyone says, these were the most comfortable pair of knee pads. I had 2 of these, they rip very easily on the sides, crappy materials but you can still use it. The Bauer Supremes that are out now, more expensive, don't even come close.

9 hours ago, mik said:

Used that pads and agree with wox33 that they get pretty hard over time. Bauer tryed to fix this on newer models. It is better but not ideal, because the soft material should be in the whole knee area. 

Another thing is that there is a lot of rubbing on the sides - Bauer definitely should use better material here like on newer models.

tir4Yr2.jpg?2

221412417.jpg

I have the second pair and the are slmost identical as the black one. Even though the material is soft it's not as soft as the oroginal Supremes on top. Also, the material right ontop of you knee where is says Flex is kinda HARD! Like wwwhhyyyy....poor design by Bauer on both of theses. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, RichMan said:

So you didn't like the Vapours I presume.

You presume wrong :rofl:

Anytime I post something on IG about knee guards, I get like 20 DMs asking about them. I feel like people want to know about knee pads because few people "love" theirs. As a result, I plan to try also try Supreme / 1S and Warrior this year.

While browsing for a deal on Supreme and 1S, I noticed these. They were like new for $60 and I figured I'd jump on them. I might end up using these or might resell them if I find another model I love. 

As for the 1X, there were not "love at first skate", but I like them better each use. There's a good chance I could stick with them.

I have this model and they are great. Nice landing area for the knee, stay put with the use of anything to hold them in place and they dry fast too. New S18 feels very similar which I also use. This model or S18 are not as rock hard as the 1S variation of this line.   

2 hours ago, lummy31 said:

I have this model and they are great. Nice landing area for the knee, stay put with the use of anything to hold them in place and they dry fast too. New S18 feels very similar which I also use. This model or S18 are not as rock hard as the 1S variation of this line.   

I beg to differ, this line landing area will hold a heck of alot longer than the new s18. I've used both, the originals I used for about 4 years and they never gave me discomfort unlike the new ones after 4 month. Plus, I don't know what Bauer is thinking with these middle pieces....it's not like you knee is landing right on it. 

4 hours ago, lummy31 said:

So you believe the S18 is softer in the landing than the 1S?

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

So you believe the S18 is softer in the landing than the 1S?

Having used this style for about 4 yrs I find the S18 closer to the original Supreme than the 1S - feels like a little softer padding between the Powerlite pad and the liner. When I used the 1S I had to cut them open and slide in a 1/4' piece of Maltese foam to soften up the landing area. S18 for me is fine. Now with that said I'm using 2S with Vapor knee blocks so its a bit softer to start with.    

17 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

It was the main reason I ditched my Supremes was it felt like landing on a concrete floor every time I went down on them. My knees where killing me after every game. 

These supremes or 1 of the newer models?

Marketing language is pretty crappy for differences between 1S and S18. Is it just the removal of the Curv and new internal colors?

Archived