New Knee Pads

ThatCarGuy

Pants have been bought.

I'm also looking into some knee pads. My Bauer Elites (referee knee pads) just aren't cutting it anymore. I've recently started getting bruises on my knees from driving them into my pads too hard. My pads (Vaughn LT88) have zero knee landing protection. I'm not against getting rid of the XLT thigh wraps and I've heard good things about the Warrior Ritual X Pro knee pads. I need knee pads more for comfort and pad rotation. Feel free to share ideas.

Thank you,

-T

abt the tuck, the Bauer Supreme 190 pants work well for it ive found. I tuck my G4 in and have no issues. I tighten the Belt on it once i tuck it in, and with the way the Inner/Outer belt is set up (has it around the inside and then goes towards the outside for tightening/loosening) i tighten it around the crease in the c&a where the extensions would go on them.

For the knee pads, ive heard good things abt the warriors. I right now use slim x 900 kneeguards and they kinda suck for anyone but beginners, ive played for about 2 years in goal,  but didnt play competitive until a year ago, bought them asssuming they would last at an "intermediate" type level. Well, im playingg against JV and Varsity level players and any shots that hit the kneepads hurt me. I am looking to get the Rituals to replace them soon. The rituals are super bulky and look like tanks. You can lace them in to your pants if you want to ditch you thigh wraps 

SLR pants are excellent for tucking. Also are very mobile. I switched from 1S pants and the first icetime I was actually popping up from my knees so fast I was losing my balance at first. Like I had been previously fighting the 1S pants and had to recalibrate how to get up haha

Thank you for all the help in such a short time! I was looking into the CCM Premier pants but it sounds like maybe the SLR's should be my focus. I tried some pants with my thigh wraps yesterday and after a little research I found out that ever single pair I tried was designed for untucked chest pads. No wonder I couldn't get them to sit right. I had tried on pairs such as the Warrior Ritual X and CCM Shield. Hadn't considered any of the pants y'all have mentioned so once again, thank you! A final decision has not been made but I plan to head to my local Monkey Sports to try on the pants y'all suggested. Maybe I won't buy them just yet and wait for the SLR's to go on clearance.

A decision has been made. Thanks to our friendly neighborhood Goalie Monkey Warrior fanboy, we got Vaughn SLR Pro pants. The fit on those was better than any of the other options. Thank you for all your suggestions on the pants. I will be trying them out on the ice tonight.

I also had the opportunity to try on the Warrior Ritual X Pro knee pads with my pads. They seemed to fit quite well and the ability to lace into the pants would be nice. They were  comfortable and I had zero worries trying to drive my knees into the synthetic ice with my pads on. I will likely try on other knee pads before settling on these.

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

A decision has been made. Thanks to our friendly neighborhood Goalie Monkey Warrior fanboy, we got Vaughn SLR Pro pants. The fit on those was better than any of the other options. Thank you for all your suggestions on the pants. I will be trying them out on the ice tonight.

I also had the opportunity to try on the Warrior Ritual X Pro knee pads with my pads. They seemed to fit quite well and the ability to lace into the pants would be nice. They were  comfortable and I had zero worries trying to drive my knees into the synthetic ice with my pads on. I will likely try on other knee pads before settling on these.

This is my exact setup, SLR pants and Warrior Pro knee pads.

Super protective and comfortable duo.  

I'm happy to answer questions or provide pics of anything.

I'm using VE8 pads with a professor strap and I'm not sure how that compares to the LT88s. 

The biggest adjustment for me with the knee pads was using the professor strap because where it wraps around my calf is where the lower part of the Warrior knee pads sit.  So, the professor strap actually wraps around that part of the knee pad.  It was kinda awkward at first.  I since started running my knee lock strap down to the calf and it made this whole situation much more comfortable and now I don't even notice it.

Mobility in the SLR pants is awesome.  I wear a Medium.  I'm a hair under 5'11 and weight about 165 pounds.  I tighten the inner waist belt pretty snug and leave the rest of the waist straps loose.  These pants interact with the knee pads seamlessly and the whole combo just works really well.  No issues at all for me.

20 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Interesting. At least we have similar proportions. The leg channel looks comparable to the LT88 but I don't have a professor strap.

It totally changes the feel of a pad's leg channel, that's for sure.  Super awkward at first.

38 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I tighten the inner waist belt pretty snug and leave the rest of the waist straps loose.

Hopefully this doesn't derail from the knee pads too much, but do you tuck your c/a into the SLR pants and then tighten the inner belt?  As much as I love these pants, that's the one part that always kind of eluded me about the design.  The inner belt still goes to the outside of the pants, so the c/a either goes inside the inner belt, or can only go down as far as the inner belt when tucked?

I just leave the inner belt loose and tighten the one outer belt to make it work for me, but am open to the fact maybe I'm completely missing something.

7 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Hopefully this doesn't derail from the knee pads too much, but do you tuck your c/a into the SLR pants and then tighten the inner belt?  As much as I love these pants, that's the one part that always kind of eluded me about the design.  The inner belt still goes to the outside of the pants, so the c/a either goes inside the inner belt, or can only go down as far as the inner belt when tucked?

I just leave the inner belt loose and tighten the one outer belt to make it work for me, but am open to the fact maybe I'm completely missing something.

I found that kind of weird as well but when I tried them on a monkey sports I realized that this helps with mobility. This way your C/A feels secure but the pants still act loose-ish. I'm bad a describing things.

Maybe I'll mess around with this:

It looks like it would work

Image result for vaughn lt88 pads

2 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I found that kind of weird as well but when I tried them on a monkey sports I realized that this helps with mobility. This way your C/A feels secure but the pants still act loose-ish. I'm bad a describing things.

you putting the chesty inside that inner belt though, or on top?  I love how high the pants sit, so I couldn't imagine not having it tucked so low.

I agree, trying to verbally/textually explain this is ridiculous, part of why I've just basically settled on what currently works for me without really seeking out other advice :P  I might have overlooked something obvious that actually works even better than what I do now

9 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

you putting the chesty inside that inner belt though, or on top?  I love how high the pants sit, so I couldn't imagine not having it tucked so low.

The Warrior C/A's have super long torsos and simply won't fit on top of the inner belt. My C/A will go inside the inner belt.

10 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

Good question.  I'm a non-tucker, I wear my CA outside my pants.  I much prefer snug pants than floppy pants.  Other than my leg pads, I keep everything pretty tight. 

7 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Somehow the G2 Pro C/A fits inside that inner belt. It wouldn't fit outside the inner belt because the of the support straps for the inner belt.

That's what I was trying to describe haha.  All of my Reactor, SLR and 2S c/a's fit inside the inner belt too, it just makes it so there's no reason to tighten the inner belt.  

@seagoal gotcha.  I've always interpreted the design as "Made for tucking AND has an inner belt" but maybe it's more like "Made for tucking OR you can use the inner belt"  

Derail over, I'll go think on this in the meantime.

6 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

That's what I was trying to describe haha.  All of my Reactor, SLR and 2S c/a's fit inside the inner belt too, it just makes it so there's no reason to tighten the inner belt.  

@seagoal gotcha.  I've always interpreted the design as "Made for tucking AND has an inner belt" but maybe it's more like "Made for tucking OR you can use the inner belt"  

Derail over, I'll go think on this in the meantime.

My take on that belt, as a non-tucker, was always that you can make the pants feel tight and connected to you while still maintaining a wider, barrel-shaped exterior surface....contrasted to Velocity pants that taper more and hug the body externally. 

These pants are my first non-Velocity and it definitely is the case.  They are wider externally without being floppy or loose internally.

Based on Punisher's mod you posted, or something like the Kenesky option they posted on IG, you should be able to add a professor strap for not much investment.  At your age, my paranoia about using the laces on the back of the pads to put a strap on would be far less, so definitely don't need to get too invasive or complicated with it.

1 minute ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I was not aware that Kenesky made one. Thank you! I tend to over-complicate things in my head and then just never do them because of that.

A lot of their stuff isn't on their website.  Email Mike or Dave.  Insanely fast response and great customer service at Kenesky:

image.png.158ff777b893f3e50bd5cdb8afeb6607.png

Wow that was indeed, an insanely quick response time. 17 minutes.

Here's the details:

They are $60.00 CAD for the normal buckle ones and $70.00 CAD for the magnetic buckle ones. Plus shipping and tax if applicable. The padded part can be made from any colour that pad material comes in and you have your choice of strapping webbing or elastic and they only come white or black.

Alright, so the materials to make my own professor strap are ordered and should be arriving today. Still haven't purchased knee pads but it's decided, I'll be getting the Warrior Ritual X Sr/Pro. A buddy of mine has a set that came with his Warrior pads but the elastic on them is broken and he might be willing to give them away because he's not interested in sewing them.

Archived