EcoProFoam vs Roughneck vs Aegis vs Maltese

chile57 thanks I appreciate it. Was kind of confused so was not sure at all when I did a google search. Then saw the Roughneck listed as a Maltese then saw this old message and figured I would check to clarify. While I do more research and before I buy something.

Appreciate it.

• Like 1

No problem @Blackops. For what its worth - I've had my gel version of Maltese for a number of years. No complaints outside of some stitch fraying (which is to be expected). I also have a Maltese that is more of the foam version (air frothed gel if I recall correctly from dealings with Mr. Maltese himself - Phil) that honestly I just haven't really gotten around to using because the gel one is still going strong. By then the shell was sublimated for colors/logos and I can report - has faded considerably. 

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

What was the story behind Maltese ending? Moved on to other things? Arrested? Died? What happened?

I emailed him after hearing about him closing.  Here was the response i got.  I don't have any further details than this.  I thought I may have remembered reading that the partner was possibly whomever runs the operation for Eco or Roughneck but don't quote me on that.Screenshot_20240102-181207.thumb.png.cd907b84a8f7448da6337ede3be4cdd1.png

13 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I emailed him after hearing about him closing.  Here was the response i got.  I don't have any further details than this.  I thought I may have remembered reading that the partner was possibly whomever runs the operation for Eco or Roughneck but don't quote me on that.Screenshot_20240102-181207.thumb.png.cd907b84a8f7448da6337ede3be4cdd1.png

Was there a trademark or patent involved with Maltese? His name is the business name yet he states his business partner called halt on production? I'm confused. Has anyone here kept ties with Phil since?

Following the topic of the thread, has any Maltese users recently used the Warrior Pro neck guard? It's very much shaped like my Maltese but I think they use their special foams like in the masks, no gel present. 

From the few reviews available and the cheap clearance price on goaliemonkey, I'm gonna assume that it's a pos and not worth the money or anything closr in quality to the Maltese.  I'd rather invest in having my combos refurbished.  It didn't seem to make sense to me either and he seemed to keep details short and vague.  I may try to email again and see if anyone answers.  

2 hours ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I was a sales rep for them for a while, so I've got some dirt.  It was a pretty sweet gig, I got to troll GGSU/other parts of the internet in my spare time to make a couple hundred extra bucks a month depending on how many units I moved.

Phil had a great product, but ran his business into the ground with late/non payments to his suppliers (gel manufacturer, collar assembly folks, water jet cutters for the mask kits...you name it).

Sean stepped in as a business partner, paid up all outstanding invoices and fronted business costs out of his own pocket (email, phones, etc) - he continued to do so until the rift. Business was good for a while and things started to turn around.  We shifted production to Passau as a ghost-manufacturer, and in return gave them access to the gel for their own lines of gear.  GoalieMonkey picked up inventory of collars and mask kits.  A padded shirt was in development, along with paddle/shaft grip tape for the stick (gel acted as a shock absorber, this latter one was my idea).

Meanwhile, Phil continued to trip over himself with late/non payments to suppliers while taking really good care of himself.  Most egregious example I can think of was a brand new Cadillac in Phil's driveway when we had some outstanding invoices to Passau, causing 6-8 month delays in customer orders.  Caused delays with production of a large inventory order going to Monkey and things spiraled pretty bad from there.

Eventually Sean shut down the website (directed it to the Maltese dog wiki), cut off Phil's cell phone, and moved on to giving Passau/Roughneck a direct line to the gel supplier, and with Eco/GoalieParts. 

There were rumblings that Phil was skimming kits off on the side (which the screenshot you shared seems to corroborate)

• Thanks 1

On 1/2/2024 at 10:28 PM, Chenner29 said:

I was a sales rep for them for a while, so I've got some dirt.  It was a pretty sweet gig, I got to troll GGSU/other parts of the internet in my spare time to make a couple hundred extra bucks a month depending on how many units I moved.

Phil had a great product, but ran his business into the ground with late/non payments to his suppliers (gel manufacturer, collar assembly folks, water jet cutters for the mask kits...you name it).

Sean stepped in as a business partner, paid up all outstanding invoices and fronted business costs out of his own pocket (email, phones, etc) - he continued to do so until the rift. Business was good for a while and things started to turn around.  We shifted production to Passau as a ghost-manufacturer, and in return gave them access to the gel for their own lines of gear.  GoalieMonkey picked up inventory of collars and mask kits.  A padded shirt was in development, along with paddle/shaft grip tape for the stick (gel acted as a shock absorber, this latter one was my idea).

Meanwhile, Phil continued to trip over himself with late/non payments to suppliers while taking really good care of himself.  Most egregious example I can think of was a brand new Cadillac in Phil's driveway when we had some outstanding invoices to Passau, causing 6-8 month delays in customer orders.  Caused delays with production of a large inventory order going to Monkey and things spiraled pretty bad from there.

Eventually Sean shut down the website (directed it to the Maltese dog wiki), cut off Phil's cell phone, and moved on to giving Passau/Roughneck a direct line to the gel supplier, and with Eco/GoalieParts. 

There were rumblings that Phil was skimming kits off on the side (which the screenshot you shared seems to corroborate)

Phil went to the School of Agatone Business I take it. Too bad, he was a nice guy to deal with and the product was gold. I still wear my neck/clavicle combo.