EcoProFoam vs Roughneck vs Aegis vs Maltese

So, here's a comparison having owned all four neckguards mentioned in the title, including two iterations of the Maltese.

The EcoProFoam (EPF), Roughneck, and Maltese are all variations of a theme.  The Roughneck and Maltese both have the "mullet' or skirt in the back.  The EPF does not.  I can't tell you whether the Maltese foam is the same as in the EPF and Roughneck, but it's certainly similar.  

They all weigh roughly the same.  I've heard the Maltese is heavier but I sold mine so I can't compare.  But any difference in weight is negligible.  

In terms of comfort, those three are all pretty much the same with one minor variation, but it's a moderately significant one.  The EPF uses a wider velcro closure and covers it with material.  The Roughneck is a thinner piece and doesn't cover it.  I don't remember the Maltese.  The roughneck is slightly less comfortable because of the exposed strap and because it's thinner.  It's a slight disadvantage.

In terms of material covering the guards, both the EPF and Roughneck use spandex or something like it.  It's a tiny complaint, but both already show signs of fading where the material pulls, such as at the corner.  Maybe not fading per se, but it's pulled so tight that it shows lighter than it is.  Not a huge issue, but my Maltese didn't do that.  

I'm going to throw the Aegis in for a quicky review.  It's the most comfortable of the bunch.  It's lightweight and doesn't retain heat like the others.  However, I'll only wear it at low level skates because I'm not that confident in its ability to deaden impacts like the gel-based ones.  I think that D30 is an interesting concept, I'm not sure I want to risk my neck with it.  What would be interesting would be a thinner gel piece covered with D30.  If someone came out with that I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  (Who am I kidding, I'm a goalie, tell me it will change my game and I'd buy anything in a heartbeat).

Long story short, I'll probably keep both the EPF and Roughneck but the EPF gets a slight nod for comfort.  Service from both companies was top notch.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kind of odd to throw doubt at D30. D30 is essentially the same as Poron XRD and those have been used in gloves and chest protectors for at least three years now. It's not going to feel protective when pressing it because it's rate sensitive. When hit with a hard enough force, the D30 stiffens up and spreads the energy around diffusing it. In theory, it should be more effective protection. They've been using D30 in other non-hockey protective equipment for years. I've got mechanics gloves with D30 and I've dropped a torque wrench on the back of my hand and definitely didn't feel a thing. Here's a demonstration:

57 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Kind of odd to throw doubt at D30. D30 is essentially the same as Poron XRD and those have been used in gloves and chest protectors for at least three years now. It's not going to feel protective when pressing it because it's rate sensitive. When hit with a hard enough force, the D30 stiffens up and spreads the energy around diffusing it. In theory, it should be more effective protection. They've been using D30 in other non-hockey protective equipment for years. I've got mechanics gloves with D30 and I've dropped a torque wrench on the back of my hand and definitely didn't feel a thing. Here's a demonstration:

Not an apples to apples comparison here.

The Aegis uses a very thin sheet (1/8"?) cut into multiple segments so there are some gaps in coverage.

The EcoPro, Roughneck, and Maltese use 1/4" HD plus 1/4" LD foam layered on one another.  The collar and clav pad are flush so there are no gaps in padding.

Besides their use in hockey gear for impact protection, there is little similarity between the two materials.  D30 is a plastic based material while Poron is a closed cell foam.

Not downtalking D30 here, I think it's a fantastic material when used correctly...but the force of a falling wrench at 9.8 meters per second (gravity on earth; roughly 22mph) is not the same as a puck shot at 60-70 mph.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Not an apples to apples comparison here.

The Aegis uses a very thin sheet (1/8"?) cut into multiple segments so there are some gaps in coverage.

The EcoPro, Roughneck, and Maltese use 1/4" HD plus 1/4" LD foam layered on one another.  The collar and clav pad are flush so there are no gaps in padding.

Besides their use in hockey gear for impact protection, there is little similarity between the two materials.  D30 is a plastic based material while Poron is a closed cell foam.

Not downtalking D30 here, I think it's a fantastic material when used correctly...but the force of a falling wrench at 9.8 meters per second (gravity on earth; roughly 22mph) is not the same as a puck shot at 60-70 mph.

This.  (although gravity is -9.8 meters per second squared.  One of the few things I remember from physics. ;))  

It's a thin layer of D30 and it's not flush.  I could see using it with something else, but I guess one way of looking at is like a kevlar vest.  A kevlar vest will stop most bullets.  But it's thin and it's right on your body, so you may still break a rib and certainly will get bruised if shot.  Not comparing bullets to pucks (I guess I am), but a thin layer right against your neck and you might still face some damage.  The thicker gel types will spread the impact more.

I think the Aegis is a good concept, but I'd layer it on top of a gel based one and I'd think it would be more protective that way.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

This.  (although gravity is -9.8 meters per second squared.  One of the few things I remember from physics. ;))  

It's a thin layer of D30 and it's not flush.  I could see using it with something else, but I guess one way of looking at is like a kevlar vest.  A kevlar vest will stop most bullets.  But it's thin and it's right on your body, so you may still break a rib and certainly will get bruised if shot.  Not comparing bullets to pucks (I guess I am), but a thin layer right against your neck and you might still face some damage.  The thicker gel types will spread the impact more.

I think the Aegis is a good concept, but I'd layer it on top of a gel based one and I'd think it would be more protective that way.

My apologies. I thought you were being skeptical of the D30. I didn't realize you were commenting on the construction of the neckguard, which, I agree with.

10 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

My apologies. I thought you were being skeptical of the D30. I didn't realize you were commenting on the construction of the neckguard, which, I agree with.

Correct.  I've got no beef with D30.  I've had D30 kneepads that were fine, but nothing special (although they hurt when dropping into the butterfly for obvious reasons).  Just because something is good in one context doesn't mean it necessarily is in another.  

28 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

Correct.  I've got no beef with D30.  I've had D30 kneepads that were fine, but nothing special (although they hurt when dropping into the butterfly for obvious reasons).  Just because something is good in one context doesn't mean it necessarily is in another.  

Yeah. Knee pads are the wrong application for D30. Because just the same way the gel firms up when it hits the ice, it also firms up where your knee lands in the pad. It would feel like concrete. It's great for chest protectors and glove palms because your body is staying static against the gear and all you want to do is dampen the impact of a puck. You don't really care if the puck is "comfortable" when it hits the D30. 

5 minutes ago, goalieThreeOne said:

Yeah. Knee pads are the wrong application for D30. Because just the same way the gel firms up when it hits the ice, it also firms up where your knee lands in the pad. It would feel like concrete. It's great for chest protectors and glove palms because your body is staying static against the gear and all you want to do is dampen the impact of a puck. You don't really care if the puck is "comfortable" when it hits the D30. 

Exactly.  

3 hours ago, goalieThreeOne said:

You've also got a (few) layer(s) of padding between the D30 and the user.  Every application I've seen of D30 is where it's used as a support layer closest to point of impact, with some layering of other materials before it contacts the athlete.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
5 hours ago, D6_EBUG said:

First pic is my Roughneck after well over a year of use and dozens of trips through the washer. 

Second pic is my EcoProFoam after just two uses and one trip through the washer.

IMG_E7687.JPG

I hand wash my Maltese, this way I avoid material damage. Mine is maybe 10 or 15 years old now and still holding up. Despite what they are built for, you do have to be delicate with it when caring for.

2 minutes ago, RichMan said:

I hand wash my Maltese, this way I avoid material damage. Mine is maybe 10 or 15 years old now and still holding up. Despite what they are built for, you do have to be delicate with it when caring for.

That's fair, but given the resiliency of my Roughneck I was expecting better from the EcoPro.  My mistake, I suppose...

On 4/11/2021 at 9:48 AM, D6_EBUG said:

First pic is my Roughneck after well over a year of use and dozens of trips through the washer. 

Second pic is my EcoProFoam after just two uses and one trip through the washer.

IMG_E7687.JPG

IMG_E7686.JPG

5 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

On the rare occurrences that I put my Maltese in the washing machine I always put it in a mesh laundry bag.  Does it help?  I don't know.  But I feel better about it lol.

Don't worry, the Eco wore through from the inside because it slightly denser foam, which would create a hot wear point on the outside when machine washed...and I believe the skin is slightly different

Passau was making everything for Maltese the last year and a half or so; the skin is identical.  The Roughneck and Maltese used the softer version of the gel foam that wouldn't create hot spots from the inside.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Don't worry, the Eco wore through from the inside because it slightly denser foam, which would create a hot wear point on the outside when machine washed...and I believe the skin is slightly different

Passau was making everything for Maltese the last year and a half or so; the skin is identical.  The Roughneck and Maltese used the softer version of the gel foam that wouldn't create hot spots from the inside.

Mine is pretty old, maybe 2010-2011ish timeframe, 2012 max.  Whatever the first year was that Phil moved to the foamy gel.  Was Passau behind the scenes that far back?

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

New to this in regards to looking at neck guards to clavicle protection. Just heard about Maltese. Wanted to get some clarification I heard they went out of business so that product is no longer available is that correct?

Also when I searched Maltese I saw Roughneck but thought it was actually the Maltese neck guard. 

So just wanted to figure out as I am looking into picking something up. I was leaning towards the Aegis as that is one of the few that I have been able to feel and touch and try on. 

i use my alex von mach neck guard like 8 years or so created by alex and the vaughn rep as a school project.  alex has them for 100$ shipped.

kevlar and big thick d3o..

collar is just kevlar, dont need the collar protection of foam , mask is there.

better then the 2 other products and cheaper