Leg pad strap broke tonight. Should I replace it or use this as an opportunity to try less strapping?

WillyGrips13

So one of my leg pad straps broke tonight. It's the one at the top of the calf but below the knee. I can shift the three calf leg straps around if I need to. Should I replace it or should I try going with only two straps in this area? I'm assuming when you use two straps in this area you skip the middle one, right? So I'd have to move one of the good ones up a slot. Please advise. 

IMG_1491.JPG

On my Reactor 9000's I use the bottom calf strap and knee strap only.  So the middle and top calf straps are gone, but there are velcro straps on the calf and knee that I use as well.  I was kind of forced into this strapping as the pads are pro return and were customized this way, but I really like it.

Less straps.  There is no need for so many straps on a modern pad.  Old pads had no rigidity and where worn tight so you needed lots of straps.  With modern gear, one strap is all it takes to stop it from falling off your leg.

17 hours ago, tony20 said:

...Old pads had no rigidity and where worn tight so you needed lots of straps. 

The pic below is circa 1978 - check out the daylight you can see between my left leg and the pad.

LOL: Someone once said every generation is the same - they think they are the ones who discovered sex, drugs and music that annoys their parents - I guess we can add loose leg pads to this list...

PS - Fibrosport JP mask, duct taped* GM 12 blocker and and real wood stick (notice the sharp heel)

*Edit - not duct-taped but hockey-taped)

Hockey007.jpg

37 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I moved the middle calf strap up one slot. Played last night. I didn't notice a difference from normal, which is good. I'll play again on Thursday and I imagine it'll be the same. 

Sounds like a pretty good starting point 

Archived