Not Sure What My 2019-2020 Setup Should Be

big seven o

Hi all,

So I am in the phase of trying to decide on my next set of pads. I have been a E-Flex guy for the past 5 years and was in Bauer Vapor/RX  before that. I am looking into pads with a stiffer core as I feel than ultra soft pads no longer fit my style. I am currently looking into Warrior G4, Premier 2, and Gnetik 4 with 1:1:4 breaks. The new 2X's are interesting but I have concerns about the lack of curve as I have a semi-narrow butterfly. I am pretty open to anything though. I would be happy to hear any thoughts and/or suggestions. 

Thanks in advance!

30 minutes ago, Peter36 said:

Can’t you add curve to the 2X? I saw it on GoalieGearNerd’s Instagram.

You can, however I prefer the more of the classic "S" curve. If I'm able to get my hands on a demo set of vapors in May it might prove to be a non issue. 

54 minutes ago, big seven o said:

You can, however I prefer the more of the classic "S" curve. If I'm able to get my hands on a demo set of vapors in May it might prove to be a non issue. 

Haven’t used the Warrior, but can safely recommend by the Brian’s and CCM. They both fit your need if you order custom and it will come down to the nuances...

I’d suggest hitting up the store and checking out the strapping, the landing surface, and the other differences 

1 hour ago, Peter36 said:

Can’t you add curve to the 2X? I saw it on GoalieGearNerd’s Instagram.

Most pads stored upside down will offer some S curve.  But it helps if there's precurve already on the pads.  CCM or custom thru Passau will give that classic S shape

23 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Haven’t used the Warrior, but can safely recommend by the Brian’s and CCM. They both fit your need if you order custom and it will come down to the nuances...

I’d suggest hitting up the store and checking out the strapping, the landing surface, and the other differences 

Thanks so much for you response, I completely agree. I have my specs dialed in in my current EF3 set, and know exactly what I like. It’s very tempting to just continue with what I’m comfortable with, however I feel like trying something new and seeing how it works out.

23 hours ago, cwarnar said:

Most pads stored upside down will offer some S curve.  But it helps if there's precurve already on the pads.  CCM or custom thru Passau will give that classic S shape

Passau is definitely on my radar. I have a set of their knee pads and love them! (Review should be up in here soon) 

16 hours ago, big seven o said:

I have my specs dialed in in my current EF3 set, and know exactly what I like. It’s very tempting to just continue with what I’m comfortable with, however I feel like trying something new and seeing how it works out.

I'm in the same boat... EF4s are super tempting because they're the devil I know...softer face with smaller rebounds would be their downside. Whereas going w/ a 2X setup will give me those larger rebounds... dialing in that strapping to get an EF feel as well as the shape come into question. 

CCM could take my money now if they made a pad that gave me the rebounds of a Premier with the deep flex boot of an EFlex.

I believe these are what are referred to as 1st World Problems. 🤷‍♂️

41 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I'm in the same boat... EF4s are super tempting because they're the devil I know...softer face with smaller rebounds would be their downside. Whereas going w/ a 2X setup will give me those larger rebounds... dialing in that strapping to get an EF feel as well as the shape come into question. 

CCM could take my money now if they made a pad that gave me the rebounds of a Premier with the deep flex boot of an EFlex.

I feel the exact way you do. I love my EF3s but the rebounds are very dead. Between the rebounds, soft boot, and flexible thigh-rise of the EF line, (the EF4’s supposedly have a stiffer thigh rise) I feel that I’m ready to transition into a bit of a stiffer pad. 

I tried my friends Ritual G4’s today and I was very impressed with the all the advanced features they’re known for. However, I don’t know if it’s just because they are radically different from what I’m used to, but they weren’t very comfortable and I felt very awkward playing in them.

@TheGoalNet spec GNetik 4’s are very tempting, however I would be very hesitant to mod the pads that much from stock and risk not completely liking them.

Premier 2’s are my front runner at the moment. I hoping to get a demo set in the upcoming weeks and then I’ll go from there.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

GET BRIANSSS

21 minutes ago, Jonathon v said:

GET BRIANSSS

Hahaha... would you believe that's the path I went down first? Truth be told, I'm also VERY partial to a 580 break. Having demo'd both the Supreme and Vapor gear I thought I'd go all in and make a drastic change to something very different... but now I'm gun shy.

36 minutes ago, big seven o said:

I feel the exact way you do. I love my EF3s but the rebounds are very dead. Between the rebounds, soft boot, and flexible thigh-rise of the EF line, (the EF4’s supposedly have a stiffer thigh rise) I feel that I’m ready to transition into a bit of a stiffer pad. 

I tried my friends Ritual G4’s today and I was very impressed with the all the advanced features they’re known for. However, I don’t know if it’s just because they are radically different from what I’m used to, but they weren’t very comfortable and I felt very awkward playing in them.

@TheGoalNet spec GNetik 4’s are very tempting, however I would be very hesitant to mod the pads that much from stock and risk not completely liking them.

Premier 2’s are my front runner at the moment. I hoping to get a demo set in the upcoming weeks and then I’ll go from there.

I briefly tried a friend's G3s...but like you I just couldn't like them. The way they hang etc just didn't feel connected to my leg... like you said... awkward. To further my 580 issue... the Warrior 90 degree feels NOTHING like a 580. I had some rotation issues w/ the Bauer sets... but I don't think it was anything that couldn't get worked out.

Given the topic of "2019-2020 Setup" I'm assuming you get new sets every year... but if that isn't the case I've heard rumors of good things coming for CCM's next release this time next year. Something we'll start seeing at team camps by early fall. I've been told it may be worth the wait.

4 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

Hahaha... would you believe that's the path I went down first? Truth be told, I'm also VERY partial to a 580 break. Having demo'd both the Supreme and Vapor gear I thought I'd go all in and make a drastic change to something very different... but now I'm gun shy.

I briefly tried a friend's G3s...but like you I just couldn't like them. The way they hang etc just didn't feel connected to my leg... like you said... awkward. To further my 580 issue... the Warrior 90 degree feels NOTHING like a 580. I had some rotation issues w/ the Bauer sets... but I don't think it was anything that couldn't get worked out.

Given the topic of "2019-2020 Setup" I'm assuming you get new sets every year... but if that isn't the case I've heard rumors of good things coming for CCM's next release this time next year. Something we'll start seeing at team camps by early fall. I've been told it may be worth the wait.

I wish I got new sets every year lol. I’ve had these EF3’s for 14 months now. The reason I’m looking to switch is because they’ve worn down to the point we’re I feel that they no longer work well for me.

like you, I am also very curious to see what CCM puts out this year, either a continuation of the Premier line or something radically different.

just visited my local hockey store (Pure Hockey) and took a peak at all the new gear. 

I was extremely impressed with the 2X pro. The pads were very light and the Tune fit strapping felt outstanding. The seal was very good. The only complaint I have is that there was still some binding left exposed above the knee, which could be susceptible to wear. 

The blocker was nice. The palm felt very comfortable with a very snug fit. The face was also extremely hard for those hard rebounds.

The glove was the best part. The closure was better than my 1 year old Premier 2 590. I’ll have to get on the ice to see how it performs stinger and pop out wise though. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Not Sure What My 2019-2020 Setup Should Be

Archived