Played for the first time since my last surgery

Just a stick and puck, and there were a whole five people there. That was fine with me. Aerobically, I am not quite ready for a game, though would be fine as the Third or Fourth goalie at a drop in. 

Highlights: once I got the reps in, I was stopping everything. My Lemelin Atlanta Flames kit was on point!  Glove hand was unusually good once the reps got going.

Lowlights: fatigue set in early in the going; penalty shots and set play drills will fatigue the hell out of you. Did not drill with two blockers, as it was better to just play with a conventional set up for the first time back. Need to get the aerobic training back up a few notches, though it was only three weeks back on the bike, as I was restricted from the bike. Note to those of you under 40: aerobic conditioning is fleeting if you don’t keep it up after a certain age; it is important to not let it lapse the older you get! Use it or lose it!

3 hours ago, mik said:

Congrats. Now when you are back on ice, it will go only better!

It’s getting ice time at a not so late hour on the end of the weekend or the middle of a work day that I have to sort out.

My metro area is building a complex with four sheets! That should solve some problems.

I can't imagine the feeling of finally getting back on the ice and into the crease - way to hang in there, @bunnyman666 There were certainly some tough weeks and months in that period wandering through the off-ice wilderness, but you made it. Respect!

So I'm curious - emotionally, did you feel right at home right away, flooded by the old familiar feeling? Or was it more nerves and apprehension as you re-familiarized yourself?

23 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I can't imagine the feeling of finally getting back on the ice and into the crease - way to hang in there, @bunnyman666 There were certainly some tough weeks and months in that period wandering through the off-ice wilderness, but you made it. Respect!

So I'm curious - emotionally, did you feel right at home right away, flooded by the old familiar feeling? Or was it more nerves and apprehension as you re-familiarized yourself?

Thank you.

As far as familiarity goes, oddly enough, I went back to really old habits I was trying to break. Having always been a defensive forward, I always squared with the body and not the puck. I had been trying to unlearn that. 

Once things started to feel better, I started squaring to the puck, rather than the shooter. Then getting myself to drop helped. Tracking the puck even when it was behind me into the net started happening. 

This is but a mere beginning.

Archived