Heaton Helite 5 by Lefevre

TheGoalNet

This will go down as something of urban legend... but we have pics to prove it!

timeline might be a tad off here, but it's close.

Luo agreed to endorse Heaton gear in the NHL and wore it his last year Junior. He was a 1st round pick of the Islanders. He used Lefevre gear somewhere along the line and ready wanted to wear in the NHL. Karhu's goalie department, Heaton and Koho, sent Lefevre the Heaton logos and graphics.

Lefevre built a Lefevre pad, probably similar to the eventual Koho 530, for Luo and he wore them. About a year after this, Koho formally partnered with Lefevre and the Koho by Lefevre 530 was launched.

7BA140C4-D76A-467B-BD00-B50EB14B0195.png

image.thumb.png.73ab8b89027968933f67dda5c581a194.png

32EA895F-69B0-4AB2-BA35-CB0F2AB4A32C.jpeg

I have a feeling that Felix Potvin used a Lefevre-built pad as well (for a short time anyway). If you really wanna flex the detective muscle...

my reasoning is that there is a definite difference between the Heaton-built 510 with the split roll and the ones he was wearing that had the knee swooshes like Thibault’s 530 set. 

EEE460D6-816B-45A8-A95A-181800EE3BD1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Taco said:

I have a feeling that Felix Potvin used a Lefevre-built pad as well (for a short time anyway). If you really wanna flex the detective muscle...

my reasoning is that there is a definite difference between the Heaton-built 510 with the split roll and the ones he was wearing that had the knee swooshes like Thibault’s 530 set. 

EEE460D6-816B-45A8-A95A-181800EE3BD1.jpeg

You're 100% correct. This one is less of a big foot. I believe after the Koho 530 came out, Potvin used his graphic on the Koho 530 and then his second generation pads with the black base came out.

I am pretty sure you could see the Lefevre badge and Don Simmons may have even sold these.

image.png.e8ee0f53772d8a5e435da9a6f736ab37.png

image.thumb.png.6a0e7414e63d2d95ca7d5c3e9c211746.png

Cool. Don Simmons didn’t sell these exact ones, I used to look at the catalogs every day as a kid. They did have the split roll ones, the shark ones, and then some limited Heston series for Olaf Kolzig. 

1 minute ago, Taco said:

Cool. Don Simmons didn’t sell these exact ones, I used to look at the catalogs every day as a kid. They did have the split roll ones, the shark ones, and then some limited Heston series for Olaf Kolzig. 

These were a few years after that though. Do have catalogs past that era?

I was thinking Don Simmons sold these with the second edition Helite IV Kolzig. I know I saw these somewhere and knew they were Lefervre.

Heres another look at them:

Externally they don't look that different to stock Heaton 5's (although its hard to tell given the low res pics of the time) I wonder whether the Lefevre input was mainly the internals and stuffing - in Roy's book he details how Lefevre modded his stock Koho Revolutions.

img691 - Copy.jpg

Ok, so geeked out slightly after my initial post and did a trawl of getty which has some much better looks at them: 

Knee strap and toe caps are immediately the most noticeable Lefevre elements. They still have no straps through the face of the pad like the actual Heaton 5s.

gettyimages-55971970-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-55971995-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-55971997-2048x2048.jpg

3 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Ok, so geeked out slightly after my initial post and did a trawl of getty which has some much better looks at them: 

Knee strap and toe caps are immediately the most noticeable Lefevre elements. They still have no straps through the face of the pad like the actual Heaton 5s.

gettyimages-55971970-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-55971995-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-55971997-2048x2048.jpg

man look at those skates! looks like 70's stuff

16 minutes ago, Snowman30 said:

Seem to happen a little bit back then. Mostly in the QMJHL. Mathieu Garon has TPS Lefevre gloves.

Mathieu-Garon.jpg

???  Maybe I need to put my reading glasses on, but where is the Lefevre logo on the gloves?

1 hour ago, Snowman30 said:

Seem to happen a little bit back then. Mostly in the QMJHL. Mathieu Garon has TPS Lefevre gloves.

Mathieu-Garon.jpg

That is a Louisville TPS blocker in Cujo-style Livery. 

It’s kind of confusing because the Louisville branding ended up dropped at one point, though was still Louisville before the brand was sold from what I gather. Could not see the trapper branding.

At one point, there was Louisville TPX and TPS, going back to their baseball/softball branding. They also did the same with hockey, but sometime dropped TPX, and eventually the Louisville, even before (was it Sherwood?) Louisville sold the brand. 

5 hours ago, Scythe said:

I have always pronounced Lefevre as Le- fev- rah am i wrong or close? Sorry if it's a dumb question. Thanks 

You are actually correct, although I believe the last consonant would be "re" with a "short e". Most anglophones would not pronounce the last syllable, opting for, as TGN put it "La-fav". It's the same as Patrick Roy - most announcers (with the probable exception of the French stations) pronounce it "Wah". But correctly there's quite an r-Roll for the first letter - not something we practice in English... Here in western Canada you say Le-fav and Wah, unless you like getting beat up...

8 minutes ago, Colander said:

You are actually correct, although I believe the last consonant would be "re" with a "short e". Most anglophones would not pronounce the last syllable, opting for, as TGN put it "La-fav". It's the same as Patrick Roy - most announcers (with the probable exception of the French stations) pronounce it "Wah". But correctly there's quite an r-Roll for the first letter - not something we practice in English... Here in western Canada you say Le-fav and Wah, unless you like getting beat up...

I was under the distinct impression that “r” was actually pronounced “hwh...” in French. Case in point: there was a skin care product called “Roc”. When it was first in North America, on the Tele commercials, it was pronounced “hwhock”; the longer the brand was in North America, the voice over pronunciation became “rock”. 

On 6/28/2019 at 11:30 PM, Scythe said:

man look at those skates! looks like 70's stuff

A former minor leaguer whom used to post a lot on GSBB and the vintage goalie mask forum still wears ICM goalie blades just like those on his Lange goalie skates. In fact, if you run into some in size 9, he would be eternally grateful as this cat STILL plays! His handle is Neums30 on many forums. 

1 hour ago, Colander said:

Lefever and Roy (to rhyme with Toy).  Pisses off the Francophones every time.  

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

That is a Louisville TPS blocker in Cujo-style Livery. 

It’s kind of confusing because the Louisville branding ended up dropped at one point, though was still Louisville before the brand was sold from what I gather. Could not see the trapper branding.

At one point, there was Louisville TPX and TPS, going back to their baseball/softball branding. They also did the same with hockey, but sometime dropped TPX, and eventually the Louisville, even before (was it Sherwood?) Louisville sold the brand.

The blocker looks like it has a blacked out Koho logo and it looks like a 530 graphic?

Archived