Rubber... The other kind

cwarnar

Hey all... I've been reading online reviews but I'm in need of a new set of tires for my 17 Explorer XLT.  The great folks at Ford were nice enough to put ultra performance sports car tires (Hankook Ventus S1 noble2) on my 4600 lbs SUV.

Looking for opinions on what people have liked or disliked on their SUV/CUV.

Right now I've got it down to 2 possibles, the BFG Advantage T/A Sport LT and the Bridgestone DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS.

looking for a touring or all season tire vs a performance or all terrain tire.

Based on specs and warranty, the Bridgestone is far and away the better choice of the two. The warranty delta between the two is astounding - 20,000 miles (Bridgestone over the BFG). Compared to the BFGs, the Bridgestones are a better value either through longevity or warranty. Plus, the TireRack data and reviews lean towards the the Bridgestones. 

48 minutes ago, dualshowman said:

Based on specs and warranty, the Bridgestone is far and away the better choice of the two. The warranty delta between the two is astounding - 20,000 miles (Bridgestone over the BFG). Compared to the BFGs, the Bridgestones are a better value either through longevity or warranty. Plus, the TireRack data and reviews lean towards the the Bridgestones. 

You've listed all of the pros I had for the bridgestone's, but the trade-off is that they are not great in snow and ice. I live on the Canadian prairies we're 4 or 5 months of the year we live in snow. But I refuse the drop an extra $2,000 on wheels and tires just for winter.

With the BFG being an all weather tire, it strikes a better balance between summer and winter versus a long lasting touring Tire.  

20 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

You've listed all of the pros I had for the bridgestone's, but the trade-off is that they are not great in snow and ice. I live on the Canadian prairies we're 4 or 5 months of the year we live in snow. But I refuse the drop an extra $2,000 on wheels and tires just for winter.

With the BFG being an all weather tire, it strikes a better balance between summer and winter versus a long lasting touring Tire.  

Just spend the cash. It's not like you live here in Vancouver where we get 5-6 days of snow a year and you can get by. You'll at least get your use out of your tires.

Archived