If only Gear Could Grow

A.YOUNGoalie13

Bauer at one point had an adjustable knee cradle. Smith had an adjustable thigh rise. The combination would be awesome for youth to intermediate sizing.

The unfortunate side of a growth spurt is that you won't know if it will be all legs or arms or torso or the whole package. Lets hope for the best :) 

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Bauer at one point had an adjustable knee cradle. Smith had an adjustable thigh rise. The combination would be awesome for youth to intermediate sizing.

The unfortunate side of a growth spurt is that you won't know if it will be all legs or arms or torso or the whole package. Lets hope for the best :) 

Man, I was trying to remember who had that adjustable thigh rise. It was so many years ago but I thought it was such a great innovation in gear. If it wasn’t for companies planned obsolescence on gear it would be amazing of one of the big boys to put adjustable thighs and knee stacks in their youth and intermediate gear. It would be nice if they considered a Velcro in boot riser as well.

1 hour ago, Pauly35or00 said:

Man, I was trying to remember who had that adjustable thigh rise. It was so many years ago but I thought it was such a great innovation in gear. If it wasn’t for companies planned obsolescence on gear it would be amazing of one of the big boys to put adjustable thighs and knee stacks in their youth and intermediate gear. It would be nice if they considered a Velcro in boot riser as well.

My V2s also had a lace in Knee block with 3 or 4 height positions.

This is something I really have harped on in the past – having pads that have adjustability. Had I gone through with my purchase of leg pads from Passau, the blocks, flaps and or wraps for the leg would not have been permanently attached. Instead I was going to have two material strips lined with Velcro sewn the length of the leg channel, one on either side and all parts exclusive of the actual padded body proper would be attached via the Velcro. Then not only would they be adjustable, but I could remove as desired, or even add a different part. Say you get access to an old set of pads with a nicer knee block, cradle or calf wing. Part those out, add a matching Velcro strip on and Frankenpad is born. When something wears out, instead of tossing the pads*, you toss that piece and replace with either something off another set or have something made. And in case you think it wouldn’t work, there was a guy on the old GCN that did something similar when he ordered a set of Passaus, but instead of Velcro, he just had plain tabs about an inch wide installed with holes to allow lacing the parts in. I talked to him originally and he seemed happy with the way it worked out, but never got a chance to update before the forum went dead.

*I'm sure there are those who feel worn out or damaged pads are a great reason to get some new stuff, but at some point money does become an issue, for me anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Wasnt there a company that tried an edoskeleton approach? You could change the height of it as a teen grew, but needed to buy different exterior shells. 

To the OP, buy used pads. Esp if u end up going thru 3 sets in a year. There's soooo much stuff on the used market and youll end up flipping it frequently. 

Archived