Passau guys

Looks like ill be in the market for a new C&A soon and was looking into Passau. I see that they have two level of protection and wanted to know if the pro pack is really warranted and how protective is the stock normal C&A. I am coming from a Simmons 995 chesty and only thing that is beefed up on it  are the elbow floaters (Simmons beef up kit) and is about 8-10 years old. I haven't really felt any stingers through it just the odd shots to the side that I didn't see coming. I play intermediate adult league and face some good shooters, but nothing super crazy or ex-NHL players. would the stock chesty do the job or would you guys/gals recommend forking over the extra money and just getting the beefier one? I'm also curious about the mobility of the unit, I hate big clunky C&A and prefer more streamlined mobile units. My Simmons right now is pretty basic and has done its job well but just want to try something new.

Also I wear suspenders over my shoulder floaters, do the floaters on the Passau unit move enough to run the suspenders under the floaters or are they fixed in place and require them to sit on top of the floaters?

I have both. My standard is almost 3 years old now. I am just now starting to feel belly shots.  I have had the pro pack about 30 days, but it hasn't seen the ice yet, only the synthetic ice in the basement to work it in. Both very mobile, but the pro pack is heavier duty in all areas but still feels mobile. I wear my suspenders over the floaters and it is fine.

I have an older model standard Passau and a newer version pro pack. I have used both quite a bit and offer the following:

Regular is more mobile, though the pro pack is still more mobile than say a rebook P2

Pro pack definitely has more protection, which can also be a function of the unit being a lot newer than my regular. The regular works fine for typical shots, but you do feel hard shots from college level and up if they hit you in the right areas.

I would say if you like streamlined and mobile units, get the regular. You can wear suspenders just off the side of the shoulder floaters. The shoulder floaters are adjustable so that you can make it work quite seamlessly. I used suspenders for a few years before I switched over to tucking in and tying into the pants.

The standard unit is equivalent to a pro in store, the pro pack is a package made for the high level goalie (college, NHL, KHL).

In your case, I recommend the standard, the level of protection is more than enough for your level of play. 

I also moved from a Simmons 995 to a Passau C/A. I tried both in store, but settled on the Pro since I do go up against pretty serious shooters. 

Very very happy with it overall, but I do find the mobility lacking when compared to the 995 (which shouldn't be surprising given how much less padding the 995 has). I'd say unless you are really worried about shots, get the standard it's going to be a fantastic unit, and more mobile than the Pro

I've had my gen 2 for over a year now and love it. Standard has been more than enough for amateur / beer league. No stingers yet and I've seen heavier shots at this point - some former pro, a lot of former D1/2/3, prep, etc. I use suspenders with floater straps and they've worked out great.

28 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

I also moved from a Simmons 995 to a Passau C/A. I tried both in store, but settled on the Pro since I do go up against pretty serious shooters. 

Very very happy with it overall, but I do find the mobility lacking when compared to the 995 (which shouldn't be surprising given how much less padding the 995 has). I'd say unless you are really worried about shots, get the standard it's going to be a fantastic unit, and more mobile than the Pro

Thank you for the feedback! I do like the 995 since it is pretty mobile its just the elastic on the floaters is so stretched that they kind of flap around and some padding on the floaters is starting to pop through. right now the 995 lets me feel the shots so I know it hit me but doesn't hurt more of a thud so I'm guessing the standard will be good for me since I've been protected this long with less padding.

2 minutes ago, dstew29 said:

I've had my gen 2 for over a year now and love it. Standard has been more than enough for amateur / beer league. No stingers yet and I've seen heavier shots at this point - some former pro, a lot of former D1/2/3, prep, etc. I use suspenders with floater straps and they've worked out great.

thank you for the feedback! most of the shots I face are people who played growing up or played local high school hockey every so often there will be a hard shooter but is few and far between.

how do you run your suspenders on yours? I use to just put them over the floaters and it held them down but now they started sliding off my shoulders so I had to put them over/under the floaters closer to my neck...if that makes sense

34 minutes ago, Puckducker said:

what size in Simmons were you and what size did you go to? I still need to measure myself to see where I fall

3 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

thank you for the feedback! most of the shots I face are people who played growing up or played local high school hockey every so often there will be a hard shooter but is few and far between.

how do you run your suspenders on yours? I use to just put them over the floaters and it held them down but now they started sliding off my shoulders so I had to put them over/under the floaters closer to my neck...if that makes sense

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to do that but would usually have some slippage during the game/skate. I haven't had any issues with the new suspender/floater strap setup since. I actually keep my pants loose (no tightening of internal belt), tuck the gen 2 CA, secure the suspender straps and use my pant laces to tie up to the CA pant loop (I stand up straight (lean back slightly) and make the knot so its just taught but not pulling with the CA tucked). I've never had the CA pop out or feel constricting. It moves with me but stays in place (if that makes sense). Just my preference anyways...

For the straps I ended up finding Topi (owner) at Kova Goalie through this forum and ordered a set from him (see pic). Very reasonably priced and amazing quality. You just need to give him your pant make/model and distance between fasteners/buttons. They still look brand new and it's been almost a year in them. I think some of the Finish and other goalies in NHL use these too (Saros, Rinne at least).

The straps wrap behind the floaters and secures with velcro at the front.

image.thumb.png.18c6f4e707628f84c015b92123bb0577.png

Stew - the design has changed (the 3 sections that hook onto the pants) did you ask for this set up or are they from a previous model?

Also regarding the tie straps - are they sown to the suspenders or loose ?

@Big2 Funny you noticed that. When I ordered I had seen @TheGoalNet ‘s set with the floater straps so I assumed the pant connections would look like his (the thinner, horizontal leather pieces that I think you’re referring to?). Turns out mine came like you see. No issues with them at all but was a little curious as to why I got those vs the ones you’re thinking of. Maybe bc of my pant model - CCM shield 2?

they’re actually not sewn to the elastic per se, but they are definitely secured. There’s a leather backing to the straps that has a thin opening  that the elastic feeds through. So you can adjust the height of the floater strap before locking in the velcro.

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 2:28 PM, dstew29 said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. I used to do that but would usually have some slippage during the game/skate. I haven't had any issues with the new suspender/floater strap setup since. I actually keep my pants loose (no tightening of internal belt), tuck the gen 2 CA, secure the suspender straps and use my pant laces to tie up to the CA pant loop (I stand up straight (lean back slightly) and make the knot so its just taught but not pulling with the CA tucked). I've never had the CA pop out or feel constricting. It moves with me but stays in place (if that makes sense). Just my preference anyways...

For the straps I ended up finding Topi (owner) at Kova Goalie through this forum and ordered a set from him (see pic). Very reasonably priced and amazing quality. You just need to give him your pant make/model and distance between fasteners/buttons. They still look brand new and it's been almost a year in them. I think some of the Finish and other goalies in NHL use these too (Saros, Rinne at least).

The straps wrap behind the floaters and secures with velcro at the front.

image.thumb.png.18c6f4e707628f84c015b92123bb0577.png

I was actually looking into a pair of those since my cheaper ones keep breaking and lose their elasticity pretty quick. the straps that go around the shoulder floaters they do a pretty good job and keeping them in place? I really like the idea of that being able to connect them more

15 minutes ago, Quadzilla32 said:

I was actually looking into a pair of those since my cheaper ones keep breaking and lose their elasticity pretty quick. the straps that go around the shoulder floaters they do a pretty good job and keeping them in place? I really like the idea of that being able to connect them more

Excellent job - zero issues since day 1. Great investment.

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2020 at 1:40 PM, Puckducker said:

What size Simmons were you in and what size passau did you go with? My measurements say I’m a large but my torso length says XL. My Simmons is 19” from collar to bottom and gets good overlapprotection when I tuck. 

going to be purchasing a pro pack but had some sizing questions. Right now I’m in a Simmons c/a and from the collar to the bottom of the chesty it’s right around 19”  and when I wear the chesty it sags down a little more for belly protection. This puts me in the XL length on the  sizing chart but my arm measurement puts me towards a large. I do tuck in my chesty but feel like there will be a good size gap from my belly button to my hip area  

did anyone find that the unit was on the shorter side? 

Mike 

1 hour ago, Quadzilla32 said:

going to be purchasing a pro pack but had some sizing questions. Right now I’m in a Simmons c/a and from the collar to the bottom of the chesty it’s right around 19”  and when I wear the chesty it sags down a little more for belly protection. This puts me in the XL length on the  sizing chart but my arm measurement puts me towards a large. I do tuck in my chesty but feel like there will be a good size gap from my belly button to my hip area  

did anyone find that the unit was on the shorter side? 

Mike 

I went from a Senior Large Vaughn V3 7500 to an XL torso/arms Passau (without the pro pack).

I measured my torso at 19" and my arms at 35" (18/2 + 26). Both of these measurements pushed me into the bottom range for XL sizing. After discussing my measurements via email with Alexandra Lanthier I decided to go with the XL torso/arms. It fits me very well; I've never felt like the arms or torso were too long, and I've never had an issue with pucks sneaking up between my pants and the bottom of the unit. (for the record, I don't tuck)

I'd trust their sizing guide. [EDIT] And they can always make a belly extension if you feel like you want some extra length.

13 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

I went from a Senior Large Vaughn V3 7500 to an XL torso/arms Passau (without the pro pack).

I measured my torso at 19" and my arms at 35" (18/2 + 26). Both of these measurements pushed me into the bottom range for XL sizing. After discussing my measurements via email with Alexandra Lanthier I decided to go with the XL torso/arms. It fits me very well; I've never felt like the arms or torso were too long, and I've never had an issue with pucks sneaking up between my pants and the bottom of the unit. (for the record, I don't tuck)

I'd trust their sizing guide. [EDIT] And they can always make a belly extension if you feel like you want some extra length.

My torso measurements I would like 19” to make sure I am covered but from my clavicle to my belly button I’m at 18 which is large. My arm measurement is at the lower end of 33” which puts me into the large arms. 

might have to reach out to passau and see what they say. As far as I know after discussing some minor things with them via email they don’t make and adjustments to their stock gear. 

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Quadzilla32 said:

For you guys with the pro pack have you noticed that there are two separate loops on the inside of the belly area? Anyone know what those are for, I was thinking be able to run a belt through it? 

I think they are just another option for pants attachments 

Archived