Brown 2400 Chest & Arms Protector review

saitagoalie

32 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

Sure. Anything that would help to get some traction on my order. Late night reply from John would be perfect because I am 12 hours ahead over here so I would receive his reply some time around noon, so I can reply back immediately. 

My revised order now looks like this:

1) Extra Rib Protection;

2) Segmented (Multiple Breaks) with Heavy Plastic;

3) Asking if it is "possible to have the shoulder lifts made so that it can be easily removed? Like using velcro and/or laces?"

4) Asking for a shipping cost if delivered to Hong Kong. If it is too much, I'll ask my wife to bring it back for me, and;

5) Extra Bicep Protection (no extra charge because it is standard on the 2400CA).

I think this is about it. I thought I was going to go all out and get everything but it appears that might be overkill and a risk on losing too much mobility.

Sounds like a good start.  I would add in a request to have the back plate dip down at the top so it doesn't poke out of the back of your jersey and touch the back of your mask when you're down.  Used to happen to me all the time on my older Brown.  I asked for that on my current custom unit and I have never had it happen again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Sounds like a good start.  I would add in a request to have the back plate dip down at the top so it doesn't poke out of the back of your jersey and touch the back of your mask when you're down.  Used to happen to me all the time on my older Brown.  I asked for that on my current custom unit and I have never had it happen again.

Ooooo. That's a good one that I never thought of. I've had that happen to me before. It can look pretty clumsy when you have that bump sticking up at the back of your neck. Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Sure. Anything that would help to get some traction on my order. Late night reply from John would be perfect because I am 12 hours ahead over here so I would receive his reply some time around noon, so I can reply back immediately. 

My revised order now looks like this:

1) Extra Rib Protection;

2) Segmented (Multiple Breaks) with Heavy Plastic;

3) Asking if it is "possible to have the shoulder lifts made so that it can be easily removed? Like using velcro and/or laces?"

4) Asking for a shipping cost if delivered to Hong Kong. If it is too much, I'll ask my wife to bring it back for me, and;

5) Extra Bicep Protection (no extra charge because it is standard on the 2400CA).

I think this is about it. I thought I was going to go all out and get everything but it appears that might be overkill and a risk on losing too much mobility.

Ya that's the same as mine except the lifts. But talking to people i opted not to. I'm sure you could home make something if you wanted also. 

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Driving home after picking it up. This is not as bulky as the pictures so. Definitely looks like i will like it 

PXL_20210817_210932774.jpg

I found it a bit difficult making sharp turns in my car until the unit was broken in properly.

I hope the drive home was uneventful. 😁 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

First quick reviews are that trying it on with my gear it takes adjustments. Felt VERY restrictive (like any new unit would) at first but after adjusting a bunch of stuff how I like it and trial and error it fits very well. I look forward to trying it hopefully Friday 

I was very lucky to be able to spend a whole weekend camp breaking in my current Brown.  It was pretty much a wet sloppy mess the whole weekend.  It broke in very nicely that weekend lol.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 3:27 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I was very lucky to be able to spend a whole weekend camp breaking in my current Brown.  It was pretty much a wet sloppy mess the whole weekend.  It broke in very nicely that weekend lol.

Nice I am playing the next three nights. Hopefully it does it 

• Like 1

Could I have some feedback on whether my email that I will be sending to John makes sense? Here it is:

"1) Russian Spec. You stated this "segmented shoulders with heavier plastic and the Extra  Bicep protection that is the Russian Spec." In your original reply to me, you stated that Extra Bicep Protection is standard on the 2400CA, so does this mean that Russian spec is just Segmented Shoulder with Heavier Plastic, or is the Extra Bicep Protection different on the Russian Spec than the Bicep Protection on the stock 2400CA. 

2) Extra Rib Protection. This does not appear to be part of Russian Spec and I would like to have it so I would like to include this in my order.

3) And a customer of yours suggested this:  "I would add in a request to have the back plate dip down at the top so it doesn't poke out of the back of your jersey and touch the back of your mask when you're down.  Used to happen to me all the time on my older Brown.  I asked for that on my current custom unit and I have never had it happen again." Can you do this modification?"

Thanks in advance guys!
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

John must be busy because hasn't replied to my email from a few days ago.

One question I asked about is that I did not see an option to choose Russian Spec. Is there such a thing or is it a couple of individual options?

I think it's an option and it just includes the few things. It's what i did. Extra rib/bicep, heavy plastic on floaters. 100% worth it 

• Thanks 1

Third ice time last night and I'm starting to really like it. Close to broken in already. I did however have an elbow strap come undone when I was playing and the clip went on the ice. The paper he gives you suggests to keep them attached or taped i forget, which I did not. I specifically remember looking at it and thinking "I don't need that....". Well now I would suggest it. Great movement. Nothing more than feeling a few picks and I played against some really good players last night. 

But the most obvious thing to me is that if you decide to get one made I think it's definitely worth the little extra to get the Russian spec. I don't even know if there is much of a difference you feel when wearing it because i never had the normal on but it's not like it's this gigantic chest protector now, it's just a really well protected one 

• Like 5

On 8/21/2021 at 9:09 AM, Rayzilla said:

John must be busy because hasn't replied to my email from a few days ago.

One question I asked about is that I did not see an option to choose Russian Spec. Is there such a thing or is it a couple of individual options?

Here's a pro stock Bobrovsky unit for comparison.

I'd guess the component upgrades are part of what make it a Russian Spec

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/3683738-bobrovsky-pro-stock-goalie-chest

• Like 1

On 8/25/2021 at 8:23 AM, Chenner29 said:

Here's a pro stock Bobrovsky unit for comparison.

I'd guess the component upgrades are part of what make it a Russian Spec

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-chest-arm-protectors/3683738-bobrovsky-pro-stock-goalie-chest

The link doesn't open for me. I get a "403 Forbidden" message. Does the link work for anyone else?

6 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

The link doesn't open for me. I get a "403 Forbidden" message. Does the link work for anyone else?

I tried on both my home PC, work PC, and phone and they all pulled up

Here's some snips

Outside of the segmented floaters and doubled up shoulder caps, it looks like there's some reinforcement around the collar on the interior (see second pic below)

I also like how he uses nylon straps around the waist instead of elastic.

image.thumb.png.0d60013492b2914bdf2f576c3d69838c.png

image.thumb.png.61ee8930cb06b34099666708696db63e.png

image.png.f71ca147b82d173b370da6023a78f60e.png

image.thumb.png.2f8cc8202612152c402a3c222d4f5fec.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I got it all sorted with John. My wife's trip to Toronto has been cancelled so I'll be getting the 2400CA shipped directly to me here in Hong Kong. John will be sending me the invoice some time today.

The new season here starts at the end of this month. I'm signed up for two nights each week. Maybe I'll start up a new thread now so that I will make it a 2400CA to Hong Kong and I'll include some photos of the new rink that I will be playing on.

• Like 2