Brown 2400 Chest & Arms Protector review

saitagoalie

The bla-bla part

Lets begin with some background information on me; I'm a 27 year-old female goalie in Finland, who is no longer is playing at a competitive level. Nowadays I play with a bunch of guys 2 or 3 times a week. Difficult to describe what the level would be. Some guys can really shoot the puck and some not so much. 😅 Anyways, when playing with women I preferred 2nd hand c/a's just because they're already broken in, cheap and well.. I didn't need that much protection. When I switched to playing with men, I realized it's time for a new c/a. I got tired of feeling the shots to my ribs & arms. Originally I had an CCM X-Pulse Pro, then I switched to I think Brian's SubZero 2. The SubZero was fine, only I wasn't happy with how short it was and how there wasn't enough rib protection. 

In February 2019 I was on a holiday in Canada and found an used Brown 2100 c/a at a 2nd hand sporting goods store. I bought it, tried it on ice when I got back home. Loved it, but it was slightly too big for me. Protection was superb though and I was really impressed with the quality. The c/a was nicely broken in and very flexible, but still very protective. I find that most chest protectors once they're "broken in" you start to feel the shots a lot. This wasn't really the case with the Brown. I finished the season with it, but I knew I needed to get something that fits. During the summer I was thinking what I should do: 

- Get a CCM or Bauer Pro unit (made in Asia, questionable durability) if I find one on sale

or

- Get a custom Brown or Passau.

I also considered McKenney, I had one in 2012 but I couldn't really find them online and the price seems to have gone up (used to be really good quality for the price). Also custom sizing was something I kind of wanted, as a woman its sometimes a bit difficult to get a good fit with gear off the shelf.

In late August I had made up my mind, I decided to get a Brown c/a.  I used to be a member on the GSBB and I remember Brown had a great reputation and was known to be the most protective c/a on the market and very durable. Their c/a's haven't changed that much since.. Some would say that they're stuck in the past, but I think they have a product that simply works. I guess I had always dreamed of getting a Brown unit for myself some day. :D 

The actual review

After some discussion with Mr. Brown, I decided to go with the 2400 model. I wanted to get protection, without going over the top (no Russian spec for me 😄). Custom options I went with; colour (all black) and segmented shoulders. The order form on the website is very nice, all the basic custom options are well described.

Originally Mr. Brown was thinking that I would fit in the intermediate sizes (I'm about 5'7, normal weight), but after all he was able to fit me in the smallest size of the 2400 model. Also, I wanted to get a quite long belly on the c/a, but he recommended not to, because it would cause mobility issues because I tuck my c/a to my pants. He was absolutely right. I followed his advice and I ended up with a well fitting c/a.

At first the c/a was veeeeery stiff, but luckily I had played with the 2nd hand Brown before. I knew that eventually the c/a would break in and feel a lot better... Mr. Brown also warned me of the stiffness in the beginning haha. First few times on ice were terrible, I couldn't move and I couldn't get the c/a to stay inside my pants etc.. I didn't do any special break-in stuff with the c/a (like shower with it or something). I just played with it. Took about 10 ice times to feel comfortable.

After the break-in period and a few adjustments the c/a is great to play with. At the beginning to get the c/a to feel right I had to use a carabiner clip to attach the back of the c/a to my pants. After the break-in period, the c/a stopped "riding up" and I could ditch the clip. The protection is great, shots to the chest I can barely feel. Shots to shoulders - no pain. Only shots to arms I can sometimes feel, but I think that's just something that a goalie has to live with. In the pictures you can see the adjustments I have made;

• Changed the straps wrapping around the body to elastic (I wear my c/a pretty tight around my body)
  • Added a loop to the bottom of the stomach padding (the padding would sometimes fold, my current pants are slightly too small around the waist)
  • I attach my suspenders to the shoulder floaters with velcro (my version of the TGN straps) and tie them together with skatelace

Pros

• Protection
  • Good durability (no fancy materials, just plain jenpro & tough nylon)
  • Sizing, custom options
  • Short wait time
  • Direct contact with the manufacturer

Cons

• Heavy
  • Clips on the arm elastic straps come off without tape
  • Back piece is too big, the design could be different 
  • The unit is pretty hot to wear
  • Prefer elastic on the back straps 

The list of cons is pretty long.. but my complaints about the non-elastic straps and the design of the back piece are just personal preference. I prefer to wear my c/a pretty tight, I don't like if my equipment feels too "loose". I changed to elastic straps just to be able to get that tight feel without sacrificing mobility. For the same reason I want to modify the c/a's back piece by making it a bit smaller. Now the back piece's "wings" feel too long, they wrap too far around. I'm still trying to decide if I'll do it myself or if I'll send the c/a to a repair shop. For sure the back piece works fine for most male goalies, for other smaller goalies like me -> maybe an issue yes. 

I personally wouldn't get any other c/a. The protection and quality with Brown are superb. I think I won't need a new unit for at least 5 years if I keep playing 2-3 times per week. Next time I'll probably go with the 2200 model, with 2400 breast plate and segmented shoulders. I don't think I need the 2400 model rib protection. :) 

And.. Is it expensive? Yes. Was it worth it in my opinion? Also yes. :) 

20200107_103753.jpg

20200115_161734.jpg

20200115_161830.jpg

20200105_233609.jpg

20200105_233243.jpg

• Like 4

My 503 (AKA 1800) lasted me a decade and I had bought it lightly used as well. It seems heavy but not really, and for the amount of protection it has, it's nothing to worry about. I too had issues with the back plate. I almost did the Roy mod to it but instead simply cut off the lower wings that wrapped over/under the ribs off of the spine padding basically squaring it off, and I replaced the 2 straps with simply 1 larger one. Gave me a better rib wrap from the sides.

As for the arm straps, I simply did some stitching work to keep them in place.

Good choice. And as an ex GSBB myself, welcome to the new crib 😎

Edited by RichMan

2 hours ago, RichMan said:

My 503 (AKA 1800) lasted me a decade and I had bought it lightly used as well. It seems heavy but not really, and for the amount of protection it has, it's nothing to worry about. I too had issues with the back plate. I almost did the Roy mod to it but instead simply cut off the lower wings that wrapped over/under the ribs off of the spine padding basically squaring it off, and I replaced the 2 straps with simply 1 larger one. Gave me a better rib wrap from the sides.

As for the arm straps, I simply did some stitching work to keep them in place.

Good choice. And as an ex GSBB myself, welcome to the new crib 😎

I agree. The weight doesn't bother me, that is just something one has to sacrifice to get the durability & protection. But there are definitely lighter units available for those who value that.

What is the Roy mod? I think I will too just cut the wings off and change to one wider elastic strap.

For the arms I added small strips of black tape.. no more issues. Just annoying when you pay 700+ dollars for a chest protector and the bloody straps keep coming undone. Easy fix though :D

I was very sad when I noticed that the whole GSBB has disappeared from the internet.. Plenty of cool pictures of gear and information was over there. But I'm happy there is a new board and it's nice to notice all the familiar user names from the GSBB. :)

I got the 2400 from Brown a few years ago with the Russian Spec upgrade and what a beast of a unit.

Was facing some pretty good shooters at the time and never felt a thing.

Got used the heat pretty quickly (never really noticed it, maybe i sweated a bit more but not sure)

Haven' had any issues yet with straps coming loose or coming off, i dialled it in and it's been the same ever since, maybe i'll have a look see if anythings moved but i usually double back the long end of the fabric, holds it pretty tight.

The roy spec brown is this.

back protector only like 7 " long in the upper back spin going down, rest is nylon webbing and same 2 straps.

the elbow sides have hard nylon plastic plates.

What roy modified is he took the soft foam on the sides off that wraps around, probably to get rid of the heat.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 12:25 AM, DL42 said:

The roy spec brown is this.

back protector only like 7 " long in the upper back spin going down, rest is nylon webbing and same 2 straps.

the elbow sides have hard nylon plastic plates.

What roy modified is he took the soft foam on the sides off that wraps around, probably to get rid of the heat.

Ok, thanks for the clarification! Now that I think about it, I'm sure I've seen pictures of Roy spec Brown.. The back protection sounds like something I've seen before.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 2:45 AM, Desert Tendy said:

Does anyone have any feedback on the raised edges on the chest floaters for brown chest protectors?

I have them on mine and can't tell any real difference for a bear league level. I don't remember ever gotten any shots because of them. 

And structure-vise they are so soft that I don't really think that a puck hitting them will really change it's path at all. 

But after all that is said the raised edges look nice and maybe with them the C/A gives me that subconcious edge over being without. 🙂

Edited by ArdeFIN

On 4/20/2020 at 10:15 AM, StevenC said:

I got the 2400 from Brown a few years ago with the Russian Spec upgrade and what a beast of a unit.

Was facing some pretty good shooters at the time and never felt a thing.

Got used the heat pretty quickly (never really noticed it, maybe i sweated a bit more but not sure)

Haven' had any issues yet with straps coming loose or coming off, i dialled it in and it's been the same ever since, maybe i'll have a look see if anythings moved but i usually double back the long end of the fabric, holds it pretty tight.

How heavy is the Russian spec compared too the regular? I face all different levels of shooter in pickup skates but my league games are basically all guys who’ve played D1 hockey in the last 5 years or less and or have played some level of pro from sphl too nhl. Just not sure if I should jump right up too having the Russian spec if it wouldn’t be necessary if it’s extremely heavy

1 hour ago, Silv_30 said:

How heavy is the Russian spec compared too the regular? I face all different levels of shooter in pickup skates but my league games are basically all guys who’ve played D1 hockey in the last 5 years or less and or have played some level of pro from sphl too nhl. Just not sure if I should jump right up too having the Russian spec if it wouldn’t be necessary if it’s extremely heavy

If I had the possibility (and need of) I'd go for the heaviest possible armour with most protection. Makes good amount of confidence when you don't have to worry about it. And training&pickup plays are a good place to exercise with heaviest gear available. Then for official games if any I'd get another set of gear as similar as possible but a lot lighter and maybe some sacrifice with protection like catcher with game ready palm.

Only one unit is a bit difficult. If you feel you need the best possible(?) go for it. If you feel that you cannot carry the whole weight with you or it'll affect your moving and speed then the lighter one.

Edited by ArdeFIN

1 hour ago, Silv_30 said:

tldr;

Most non-Brown units are around 6 lb.

image.png.b4e7203e9137b8bff69cf51c81a889ad.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silv_30 said:

I have a 2400 Russian Spec and the last time I weighed it, it came in at around 9 pounds. I believe it was somewhere in between a medium and a large. I came from a Vaughn Ve8 that weighed 6.4 pounds and it took me a week to adjust. 

If I recall correctly, I believe the standard unit is about 7-7.5 lbs depending on size.

Edited by bildeer
added more information.
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 10:00 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think that you would most likely be fine with a stock Brown c/a.  A stock Brown is about on par with most enhanced retail units.

Do they keep stock for sale or does it have to be custom ordered? Is it a different price if you custom order to size only (in other words it is the same as a stock version but according to your size specifications)?

I think I am interested in the 2400 and probably the Russian spec if the price difference from the regular version is not too much. I don't see the current prices on the Brown website. 

Any information is appreciated.

2 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Do they keep stock for sale or does it have to be custom ordered? Is it a different price if you custom order to size only (in other words it is the same as a stock version but according to your size specifications)?

I think I am interested in the 2400 and probably the Russian spec if the price difference from the regular version is not too much. I don't see the current prices on the Brown website. 

Every unit is made to order. I believe what @SaveByRichter35 was referring to was the stock padding configuration versus the Russian Spec (with plastic over the foam). But if you want straps to hold your suspenders, fight strap or carabiner holder, etc., etc., you can spec those items as the only items they keep in stock are their suspenders and possibly their neck guards. You have to email Brown for prices. I don’t own one (yet), but am familiar with the process of ordering from Brown. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

I am unsure if they keep stock on hand for sale.  I do know that they do make your regular S/M/L/XL sizes for whatever retail shops still stock them.  However, if you're going to order why not just get it spec'd to your own measurements?  As far as I know they do not charge extra for ordering a custom unit compared to a S/M/L/XL unit.  They do charge extra for the Russian Spec though.  I really don't think you're going to need that though.  The stock unit is on par, if not still more protective than most other company's "beefed up" models.  The one thing I suggest you do take from the Russian Spec is the segmented shoulder floaters.  

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2021 at 2:53 AM, Rayzilla said:

I don't see the current prices on the Brown website. 

Their website is rarely updated. Updated information and products are on their social media accounts, Facebook and Instagram. I compiled a list of prices based on Brown replying in comments of their posts. If you go back far enough, you see their prices go up occasionally. For example as seen below, the JB2400 and JB2200 were $769.95 and are now $850. The JB2000 price is probably old. Collar prices are now obsolete because they apparently no longer offer them. All prices below are in Canadian dollars. So for example, the $850 price tag comes to $717.87 American dollars at the time of this post.

Chest Protectors

JB2400CA $769.95/$850

JB2200CA $759.95/$850

JB2000CA $739.95

Extras

Custom Colors $69.95

Built-in Collar $29.95

High-cut Built-in Collar $39.95

Extra Cushioning $29.95

Shoulder Lifts $39.95

Extra Rib Protection $29.95

Fighting Strap $24.95

Wider Shoulder Flaps $29.95

Suspender Guides $19.95

Russian Spec $79.95

Embroidery $48

• Thanks 2

On 7/29/2021 at 6:44 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Every unit is made to order. I believe what @SaveByRichter35 was referring to was the stock padding configuration versus the Russian Spec (with plastic over the foam). But if you want straps to hold your suspenders, fight strap or carabiner holder, etc., etc., you can spec those items as the only items they keep in stock are their suspenders and possibly their neck guards. You have to email Brown for prices. I don’t own one (yet), but am familiar with the process of ordering from Brown. 

Thanks. Is there an list of the changes under the "Russian Spec".  Like is it a group of the individual modifications, i.e. Shoulder Lifts and Extra Rib Protection, or something like that?

On 7/29/2021 at 7:18 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am unsure if they keep stock on hand for sale.  I do know that they do make your regular S/M/L/XL sizes for whatever retail shops still stock them.  However, if you're going to order why not just get it spec'd to your own measurements?  As far as I know they do not charge extra for ordering a custom unit compared to a S/M/L/XL unit.  They do charge extra for the Russian Spec though.  I really don't think you're going to need that though.  The stock unit is on par, if not still more protective than most other company's "beefed up" models.  The one thing I suggest you do take from the Russian Spec is the segmented shoulder floaters.  

Thanks and good point, I may as well order to my own measurements. I have the large Warrior GT2 (I think) Pro now and the body is fine but I fine the arms to be a bit too long and that is annoying to me when I am on the ice.

Do you know how long it takes to make a one? My wife will be taking a trip back to Toronto between August 20th and returning to Hong Kong on September 8th or something like that. Is this enough time?

Can you share what information you know about the Russian Spec? I know you do not recommend it but I think I will play with more confidence if I can take my mind off of the impact so that I can focus on the shooter. I just played two consecutive games in my current chest arm and got two big bruising stingers on each elbow and one on the ribs.

Thanks!

On 7/31/2021 at 2:50 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

Their website is rarely updated. Updated information and products are on their social media accounts, Facebook and Instagram. I compiled a list of prices based on Brown replying in comments of their posts. If you go back far enough, you see their prices go up occasionally. For example as seen below, the JB2400 and JB2200 were $769.95 and are now $850. The JB2000 price is probably old. Collar prices are now obsolete because they apparently no longer offer them. All prices below are in Canadian dollars. So for example, the $850 price tag comes to $717.87 American dollars at the time of this post.

Chest Protectors

JB2400CA $769.95/$850

JB2200CA $759.95/$850

JB2000CA $739.95

Extras

Custom Colors $69.95

Built-in Collar $29.95

High-cut Built-in Collar $39.95

Extra Cushioning $29.95

Shoulder Lifts $39.95

Extra Rib Protection $29.95

Fighting Strap $24.95

Wider Shoulder Flaps $29.95

Suspender Guides $19.95

Russian Spec $79.95

Embroidery $48

Thanks for all your hard work here Willy, this is great!

That's a shame about the collar pieces. I think I would be interested in that.

What exactly is "Extra Cushioning"? Is that throughout the entire CA? If one got this mod, would it make "Extra Rib Protection" less relevant? 

I'll need to check up some more about the Russian Spec.

Thanks again for your time spent to inform us of the prices.

10 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Do you know how long it takes to make a one? My wife will be taking a trip back to Toronto between August 20th and returning to Hong Kong on September 8th or something like that. Is this enough time?

I think Brown does a summer shutdown around August. At least they have in years past. This may affect your production time. 

Thanks for all your hard work here Willy, this is great!

That's a shame about the collar pieces. I think I would be interested in that.

What exactly is "Extra Cushioning"? Is that throughout the entire CA? If one got this mod, would it make "Extra Rib Protection" less relevant? 

I'll need to check up some more about the Russian Spec.

Thanks again for your time spent to inform us of the prices.

Back in 2006 when I ordered mine, I wanted the built-in collar. The shop that I bought from actually sent one without. I had to send it back and they sent one with one. I wanted my shipping money back because it was their mistake. I never heard back from them. The shop went out of business shortly thereafter. Pretty sure no hockey shops carry Brown unless it’s old inventory. I know as recently as three years ago when I lived in Connecticut, Wesco in Brookfield had a few 2100 units. Now dealing directly with Brown you’re going to get something built specifically for you. 

Roughly a year ago, I removed the integrated throat guard from my 2100 and started to use the Maltese throat guard I use with my Vaughn 8800 Epic C/A. I found the integrated one had a gap in protection. It’s just a ring of foam attached with fabric. No padding in the connecting fabric. Every now and then a puck would sneak in there. And I do wear a dangler. Now the Maltese throat guard and C/A together cover with no gaps. 

Aside from the upper arm addition, I’m not sure if Russian spec includes anything else. 

No idea what extra cushioning entails. 

Extra rib protection might be for units that don’t have the part that is standard on the 2400. 

It seems that many components are interchangeable between models. It’s possible telling them which components you like vs the ones you don’t will help them choose the right model to build off of. As with most things regarding their products, asking them directly will get you the most accurate response. My price list may be outdated by now, too. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

No idea what extra cushioning entails.

Pretty sure it's just a cushier interior

• Thanks 1