Brown 2400 Chest & Arms Protector review

saitagoalie

1 hour ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks bildeer. I am almost sure that I will get the Russian Spec if I can get the Brown made on time. And I'll do that hot shower trick but what do you mean by move everything around?

If I pay this kind of money for the chesty, I will battle through the heat to make it work. It will be quite a change in weight though because I am coming from a Warrior RG2 Pro, which is probably one of the lightest on the market. And like I said, the rinks here are all in shopping malls so they are no where near as cold as the cement hockey arenas that I used to play in in Toronto. Maybe if I start a thread, I'll post up some pics of some of the rinks I've played in here in Hong Kong.

What I mean is that you should take extra care to flex the arms when running the unit through the shower, as they will be one of the stiffest areas. I also took a skate lace and tied both arms in a flexed position to dry to expedite the break in process.

11 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

Some quick questions about some options. I am thinking about adding:
1) Extra Bicep protection;

2) Raised Shoulder Lifts (but worried about mobility with the chin of mask and dangler);

3) Extra Rib Protection;

4) Shoulder Wing Extension (maximum 1.5");

5) Solid Raised Edges (Not Legal) and Heavy Plastic;

6) I currently tuck out with my current but I have also tucked in the past. Not sure what I want to do going forward but likely not tuck.

Comments?

The russian spec comes with extra bicep, rib protection and heavy plastic standard iirc. I personally would not do the shoulder lifts or wing extension, as I feel the unit is big enough as it is but if you feel like you can work with it, there would be no reason not to do so. No idea on the raised edges, as I have never used anything like that before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

Some quick questions about some options. I am thinking about adding:
1) Extra Bicep protection;

2) Raised Shoulder Lifts (but worried about mobility with the chin of mask and dangler);

3) Extra Rib Protection;

4) Shoulder Wing Extension (maximum 1.5");

5) Solid Raised Edges (Not Legal) and Heavy Plastic;

6) I currently tuck out with my current but I have also tucked in the past. Not sure what I want to do going forward but likely not tuck.

Comments?

Extra Bicep and Rib protection are included in the "Russian Spec". If you don't want the segmented shoulders, you should specify that, as they are also standard in the "Russian Spec" version. In my opinion, the segmented shoulders do help you feel a less stiff.

Regular shoulders vs. Segmented:

2400ca.png2400 chest protector with "Iron Man" custom colours and russian upgrade  (Includes heavier plastic, extra cushioning just below the shoul… | Goalie,  Chest, Protector

Also note above the regular bicep protection (left) vs. "Russian spec" extra bicep protection (right).

I honestly don't think that shoulder lifts/extra width/raised edges is worth it. To me, the angle a shot would have to come at that a goal would be prevented by any of those mods is so rare, but the extra weight and restriction on head and shoulder/arm mobility is constant!

I tried tucking vs. not tucking and still prefer wearing all my chest protectors untucked. If you're concerned about it shifting, you can request a "fight strap" be added to the bottom of the spine at the back - you can connect this to the loop at back of your pants even when untucked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So many contrivances to prevent goals can actually make more goals scored against you. In general, too tall of shoulders get in my way. If you have an enormously long neck, the shoulder lifts would be a great investment. Whenever I finally get a Brown, I want the shoulders as flat as possible. Can you order them with flatter than normal shoulders?

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/12/2021 at 2:01 AM, bildeer said:

What I mean is that you should take extra care to flex the arms when running the unit through the shower, as they will be one of the stiffest areas. I also took a skate lace and tied both arms in a flexed position to dry to expedite the break in process.

The russian spec comes with extra bicep, rib protection and heavy plastic standard iirc. I personally would not do the shoulder lifts or wing extension, as I feel the unit is big enough as it is but if you feel like you can work with it, there would be no reason not to do so. No idea on the raised edges, as I have never used anything like that before.

I like your idea about the dry flexing. I'm going to do that for sure.

I finally completed the order process last night. I had to wait until last night because I store my equipment in a locker at the rink and I had to measure my current chest protector and take a photo with me wearing it. There was never an option to choose "Russian Spec". Just separate individual options to select extra bicep protection, extra rib protection, and heavy plastic on the shoulder wings.

Thanks for your information.

Edited by Rayzilla

13 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

So many contrivances to prevent goals can actually make more goals scored against you. In general, too tall of shoulders get in my way. If you have an enormously long neck, the shoulder lifts would be a great investment. Whenever I finally get a Brown, I want the shoulders as flat as possible. Can you order them with flatter than normal shoulders?

I removed the raised shoulder padding from my options selected. I agree that that could get in the way of side ways head movement with the chin of the mask and dangler. I suppose I will be able to mod something like that on my own but make it removable with velcro to attach it. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks for the tip.

13 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

I removed the raised shoulder padding from my options selected. I agree that that could get in the way of side ways head movement with the chin of the mask and dangler. I suppose I will be able to mod something like that on my own but make it removable with velcro to attach it. Has anyone tried that?

Thanks for the tip.

If you were to mod that, I would get both velcro land lace-in. You could see if Brown would do that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

If you were to mod that, I would get both velcro land lace-in. You could see if Brown would do that.

I'll check with him on that. 

Quick question before I write back to him. Regarding the Width of the Shoulder Wings, how many of you went with "Standard", "+0.75" or "+1.50". I am deciding between "Standard" and "0.75". Will the ).75" be noticeable enough to be worth the extra (the +1.50 is $39.95 so I think the +0.75 will cost the same)? 

Thanks.

Just now, Rayzilla said:

Quick question before I write back to him. Regarding the Width of the Shoulder Wings, how many of you went with "Standard", "+0.75" or "+1.50". I am deciding between "Standard" and "0.75". Will the ).75" be noticeable enough to be worth the extra (the +1.50 is $39.95 so I think the +0.75 will cost the same)? 

Thanks.

I just went with standard. I didn't get mine yet it's shipped out to me. It looks big already and i don't like too much bulk that's not needed. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks.

Personally, I would go standard as this unit is already one of the larger C/A's you can purchase in the standard configuration.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

I just went with standard. I didn't get mine yet it's shipped out to me. It looks big already and i don't like too much bulk that's not needed. 

I want mobility. Bulk is acceptable if it is places that do not affect mobility too much. So if the shoulder wings will affect mobility then standard is the way I will go. Thanks.

Edited by Rayzilla

9 hours ago, bildeer said:

Personally, I would go standard as this unit is already one of the larger C/A's you can purchase in the standard configuration.

That's a good point, that it is one of the bigger ones out there already. So adding more to that is different than adding more to a smaller or normal sized one. Thanks.

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Standard for sure.  And definitely get it segmented!!

Thanks for the reminder. I need to change it to segmented too. The comment on the Brown website is that the "Solid with Raised Edges" is "(Not Legal)". Which part of it is not legal, the fact that it is Solid or the Raised Edges? Or is it that it is wider in general in that it extends out to cover the side of the ribs and under the arm? I do not mine the "not legal" part since I only play in beer leagues here.

1 hour ago, Rayzilla said:

Thanks for the reminder. I need to change it to segmented too. The comment on the Brown website is that the "Solid with Raised Edges" is "(Not Legal)". Which part of it is not legal, the fact that it is Solid or the Raised Edges? Or is it that it is wider in general in that it extends out to cover the side of the ribs and under the arm? I do not mine the "not legal" part since I only play in beer leagues here.

The raised edges are not legal.  Just keep in mind unless your getting an NHL spec chesty you won’t be legal any way.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rayzilla said:

Looks nice!

Did you request any mods to your order?

Not too much. Went with the russian spec segmented floaters, extra bicep and rib protection, measured all my upper body and arms for him, and I think that was it. Im hoping it fits well. If i need something different ill just adjust off this one. I cant wait to try it

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Not too much. Went with the russian spec segmented floaters, extra bicep and rib protection, measured all my upper body and arms for him, and I think that was it. Im hoping it fits well. If i need something different ill just adjust off this one. I cant wait to try it

That sounds basically like what I asked for but I sent him a few questions and I'm waiting for his reply. I guess they do not work on the weekend?

36 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

That sounds basically like what I asked for but I sent him a few questions and I'm waiting for his reply. I guess they do not work on the weekend?

He responded all weekend with me but it was later in the day. He was also on vacation the week I ordered so that might have been why he was responding and making sure he had the info. Even got me to wait to pay because he wasn't around. I thought about other stuff to add but i figured I'd try this out and see then if I wanted something else after having enough experience with a Brown I'll get another and sell this one. Doesn't seem like I'd have an issue moving one and the money loss to me would be worth it if I wanted something else 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

He responded all weekend with me but it was later in the day. He was also on vacation the week I ordered so that might have been why he was responding and making sure he had the info. Even got me to wait to pay because he wasn't around. I thought about other stuff to add but i figured I'd try this out and see then if I wanted something else after having enough experience with a Brown I'll get another and sell this one. Doesn't seem like I'd have an issue moving one and the money loss to me would be worth it if I wanted something else 

I replied to his confirmation of receiving my original request 3 days ago and he has not replied still. Maybe he thinks I am not serious because I am all the way in Hong Kong? Hope he will reply soon.

47 minutes ago, Rayzilla said:

I replied to his confirmation of receiving my original request 3 days ago and he has not replied still. Maybe he thinks I am not serious because I am all the way in Hong Kong? Hope he will reply soon.

He was a few days with me too. Usually late at night too. He's probably super busy I bet. If not let me know I'll shoot him a message also 

11 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

He was a few days with me too. Usually late at night too. He's probably super busy I bet. If not let me know I'll shoot him a message also 

Sure. Anything that would help to get some traction on my order. Late night reply from John would be perfect because I am 12 hours ahead over here so I would receive his reply some time around noon, so I can reply back immediately. 

My revised order now looks like this:

1) Extra Rib Protection;

2) Segmented (Multiple Breaks) with Heavy Plastic;

3) Asking if it is "possible to have the shoulder lifts made so that it can be easily removed? Like using velcro and/or laces?"

4) Asking for a shipping cost if delivered to Hong Kong. If it is too much, I'll ask my wife to bring it back for me, and;

5) Extra Bicep Protection (no extra charge because it is standard on the 2400CA).

I think this is about it. I thought I was going to go all out and get everything but it appears that might be overkill and a risk on losing too much mobility.