Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Pro Demo vs CCM Axxis vs CCM Premier II Pro

Big2

So as hockey slowly resumes my son is working on getting ready for the upcoming season - after 2 weekends of on ice training we will start demoing some pads: first set being tried will be the Bauer Supreme Ultrasonics XL.

We got the Bauer Demo's today and the initial comments are that they are not lighter than his CCM Premiers 35'' + 1.5'' i actually think their heavier. Anyhow he will have two outings to try them I hope they really slide better than the CCM - TBA

CCM Axis Demo coming shortly as soon as i know when we will be getting I will advice - i have seen a couple of sets and depending on the color scheme they are either a hit or miss regarding the design

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Big2 said:

So as hockey slowly resumes my son is working on getting ready for the upcoming season - after 2 weekends of on ice training we will start demoing some pads: first set being tried will be the Bauer Supreme Ultrasonics XL.

We got the Bauer Demo's today and the initial comments are that they are not lighter than his CCM Premiers 35'' + 1.5'' i actually think their heavier. Anyhow he will have two outings to try them I hope they really slide better than the CCM - TBA

CCM Axis Demo coming shortly as soon as i know when we will be getting I will advice - i have seen a couple of sets and depending on the color scheme they are either a hit or miss regarding the design

This is probably accurate. Vapor is significantly lighter than Supreme when I weighed them side by side. This is because Supreme is stiffer and that requires the use of stiffer foams.

• Big2 changed the title to Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic Pro Demo vs CCM Axxis vs CCM Premier II Pro

TGN - would it be possible to get your point of view on both the Bauer Ultrasonic vs the CCM Axis ?

I have also been told that the Axis is substantially lighter than the Premier II - also how do they slide one vs other ??

I can't comment on Axis vs Ultrasonic as I still haven't seen US in person.  I CAN say that Axis is lighter than P2.  Whether it's substantially so is a judgement I'll allow each person to make for themselves.   It's certainly not as noticeable as the difference between P1 and P2 was, but P1s were godawful heavy.

If a combination of stiffness and lightness is what you're after I'd look at a custom set of G5s with the optional X-Stiff package.  Even with that option my set isn't as stiff as a pair of last gen Bauer Supremes, but they were close to the Axis demo set I checked out recently.  Depending on your timeframe to order I do have a set of Axis on the way (should be here this week or next) and can provide thoughts on Axis vs Warrior.  I ordered my Axis set with a weave inner gusset, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Speedskin that was on the demo set I tried.

8 hours ago, Big2 said:

TGN - would it be possible to get your point of view on both the Bauer Ultrasonic vs the CCM Axis ?

I have also been told that the Axis is substantially lighter than the Premier II - also how do they slide one vs other ??

US vs Axis

Weight - Axis

Torsional Flexibility - Axis

Boot Flexibility - Axis

Stability - Ultra Sonic

Slide - Ultra Sonic

Rebound - Ultra Sonic

Seal - Ultra Sonic

Axis vs P2

Weight - Axis

Boot Flex - Axis

Stability - P2

Slide - Axis

Rebound - Axis

Seal - P2

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I can't comment on Axis vs Ultrasonic as I still haven't seen US in person.  I CAN say that Axis is lighter than P2.  Whether it's substantially so is a judgement I'll allow each person to make for themselves.   It's certainly not as noticeable as the difference between P1 and P2 was, but P1s were godawful heavy.

If a combination of stiffness and lightness is what you're after I'd look at a custom set of G5s with the optional X-Stiff package.  Even with that option my set isn't as stiff as a pair of last gen Bauer Supremes, but they were close to the Axis demo set I checked out recently.  Depending on your timeframe to order I do have a set of Axis on the way (should be here this week or next) and can provide thoughts on Axis vs Warrior.  I ordered my Axis set with a weave inner gusset, so I'm looking forward to comparing it to the Speedskin that was on the demo set I tried.

PS - any feedback would be appreciated my son will be trying the Axis shortly and then we will pull the trigger: unfortunately this year we will not be going with a set of customs 8-10 week lead times we find too long !

7 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

US vs Axis

Weight - Axis

Boot Flexibility - Axis

Stability - Ultra Sonic

Slide - Ultra Sonic

Rebound - Ultra Sonic

Seal - Ultra Sonic

Axis vs P2

Weight - Axis

Boot Flex - Axis

Stability - P2

Slide - Axis

Rebound - Axis

Seal - P2

TGN = thanks always appreciated and strait to the point !

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

TGN = thanks always appreciated and strait to the point !

I don't have a ton of reps in US or Axis, but it seems sorta obvious?

I think they are both good pads. I think Axis is a more conservative pad if that makes sense? I don't think anyone will dislike Axis? It's like a stiffer EFlex that slides better and kicks our rebounds harder.

I could see some people disliking US and saying it's too extreme? It's very stiff and doesn't give too much with that knee block, I love that though.

For me though, if I had to pick a winner at the moment, I would take US. That could change with more reps of each.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't have a ton of reps in US or Axis, but it seems sorta obvious?

I think they are both good pads. I think Axis is a more conservative pad if that makes sense? I don't think anyone will dislike Axis? It's like a stiffer EFlex that slides better and kicks our rebounds harder.

I could see some people disliking US and saying it's too extreme? It's very stiff and doesn't give too much with that knee block, I love that though.

For me though, if I had to pick a winner at the moment, I would take US. That could change with more reps of each.

Andersen disagrees haha 

Just tried Axis on in store and it felt better than expected. I could never get ccm pads to sit right for me in butterfly but these are different and work for me. Due to the price difference between axis and ultrasonic I’ll probably go axis for my next set in junior hockey.

On 7/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Big2 said:

PS - any feedback would be appreciated my son will be trying the Axis shortly and then we will pull the trigger: unfortunately this year we will not be going with a set of customs 8-10 week lead times we find too long !

So, bad news on this.  I just found out that CCM somehow didn't have a record of getting paid for my pads, so the order hasn't even been sent for production yet!  The last timeline they offered for delivery was mid-September.   I provided proof of payment back in May and asked them to do better than that, so we'll see how it goes.  Regardless, I probably won't have any useful insights to offer you before you make your purchase.  Sorry!

1 hour ago, Puckstopper said:

So, bad news on this.  I just found out that CCM somehow didn't have a record of getting paid for my pads, so the order hasn't even been sent for production yet!  The last timeline they offered for delivery was mid-September.   I provided proof of payment back in May and asked them to do better than that, so we'll see how it goes.  Regardless, I probably won't have any useful insights to offer you before you make your purchase.  Sorry!

Apparently my order only went in at the end of June when we sent an email June 1, 2020. They are a little slow over there, some of the reps as well. I paid straight to ccm since is was an "employee discount ".

So we just got back from my sons goalie practice here are the initial comments:

Glove/Blocker

He liked them both more that his P2 - their both more comfortable and he found that the US glove closed better. Its a new glove vs a 2 year old P2 so advantage on the glove blocker for the US

Pads

They do slide a lot better than his P2 and the rebounds are a lot livelier - so advantage there for the US!

However the pads over rotated on him - so we are reviewing the strapping so he can tighten them more tomorrow ?

I do have to say two things - the Demo pad did not come with Bauer's equivalent of the professor strap, which he has on the P2.  Not sure why i have informed the store we sampled them from !

I also have to say that the straps on the Bauer's are cheap, they are flimsy vs the P2 - and this comment applies to most of the set the quality of the CCM product is way higher than the Bauer.

We will try them with some revised strapping tomorrow - hopefully they don't over rotate !

+ for performance

- poor quality of product (typical Bauer) the demo set already showed some wear on area at the bottom/front of the boot and the material is a lot thinner is numerous areas of the pads!

Look forward to having him try the Axis - I'm crossing my fingers that we can get a set for next week!

On 7/25/2020 at 3:04 PM, Big2 said:

Pads

However the pads over rotated on him - so we are reviewing the strapping so he can tighten them more tomorrow ?

I do have to say two things - the Demo pad did not come with Bauer's equivalent of the professor strap, which he has on the P2.  Not sure why i have informed the store we sampled them from !

Professor strap comes free with the pads, but it’s not “stock” in that it’s not assembled on the pads at assembly. So not surprised it’s on the demo? Did they have a boot strap / Lundy strap? 

this shocks me though on the over rotation? I had that issue on 1S and 2X Pro. The Stabilislide knee block is sorta over / under rotation proof. I definitely would play with the strapping  and give these another crack!

13 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Professor strap comes free with the pads, but it’s not “stock” in that it’s not assembled on the pads at assembly. So not surprised it’s on the demo? Did they have a boot strap / Lundy strap? 

this shocks me though on the over rotation? I had that issue on 1S and 2X Pro. The Stabilislide knee block is sorta over / under rotation proof. I definitely would play with the strapping  and give these another crack!

So my son got another two more outings with the US this weekend- professor strap and lundy strap installed and the over rotating issue disappeared !

However at the end of the day he did not like the pads - the two main reasons are that he found them too stiff and also he didn't like the sliding ( they slid too much for his liking). I have too say that this last comment surprised me, but I'm not on the ice.

We where also disappointed with the overall quality of the product especially the straps ( except the lundy) we found that the elastic was flimsy, the professor strap looks like an afterthought and it looks cheap.

So at the end of the day we are passing on Bauer - look forward to trying the CCM Axis, will report back when this happens. Finally I will tray to get a set of Vaughn SLRs to demo ( not sure this will be a possibility ) will tray GM in Montreal!

As much as I liked the feel of Axis, two of my friends already had the knee stack speedskin on their pads wear through in under 3 months which is very discouraging. One is in a AA travel Pre-tryout camp and the other is on a AAA team. Both see roughly 5-6 ice times a week currently 

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

As much as I liked the feel of Axis, two of my friends already had the knee stack speedskin on their pads wear through in under 3 months which is very discouraging. One is in a AA travel Pre-tryout camp and the other is on a AAA team. Both see roughly 5-6 ice times a week currently 

Carguy  - I have heard this about speedskin in the past but FYI my sons last pair of pads where custom CCM P2's and he is on the ice about 4 times a week on average and there are no issue with them.  100% speedskin still intact ?

Anyone else have issues with their speedskin ??

23 minutes ago, Big2 said:

Carguy  - I have heard this about speedskin in the past but FYI my sons last pair of pads where custom CCM P2's and he is on the ice about 4 times a week on average and there are no issue with them.  100% speedskin still intact ?

I had Speed Skin on P2s. Those probably had the most use of set since TGN started. I had no out of the normal on them.

I know some people how echoed what @ThatCarGuy said

I don't think Axis has issues at all, but based on your comments, I think you value Made in Canada quite a bit. Why are you not considering Brian's Optik 2 Max or Lefevre 20.1? 

TGN - I have pushed him to consider Brians the brand he had the most over the years he said no ?

I will inquire about the lead times on the Lefevre and maybe have him consider those, I'm worried about the delay ?

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

TGN - I have pushed him to consider Brians the brand he had the most over the years he said no ?

I will inquire about the lead times on the Lefevre and maybe have him consider those, I'm worried about the delay ?

RE: Lefevre

My order went in on 5/11 when they reopened the plant.

Rance said gear should ship 8/7.  So about 12 weeks to the shop, maybe 13/14 weeks to my door depending on shipping.

If you are in the US, it makes sense to order through a Canadian retailer so you can take advantage of the CAD/USD conversion rate (saved me almost $500 at time of order)

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

Re: Speedskin

My EF4s have Speedskin on the sliding surface.  Honestly have not noticed much of an upgrade over Jenpro in terms of performance.  I do use the GoalieParts sliding polish to squeeze a little more performance out of them.  As far as durability, no issues either.

I've been on the ice maybe 2x a week since getting them, but I'm guessing I'm also a bit heavier than your kid so it may balance out.

1 hour ago, Big2 said:

CCM is running about 10 weeks on Axis. My order went in on 6/1 and should have them shipping from the shop to me next week.

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I had Speed Skin on P2s. Those probably had the most use of set since TGN started. I had no out of the normal on them.

I know some people how echoed what @ThatCarGuy said

I don't think Axis has issues at all, but based on your comments, I think you value Made in Canada quite a bit. Why are you not considering Brian's Optik 2 Max or Lefevre 20.1? 

Not sure if you were referring to me or Big2 but I couldn’t care less about Made in Canada. I’m a guy who wears warrior and will probably wear bauer next season. Brian’s and Lefevre are simply out of the price range even ordering through my source.

Unless of course I start hearing some better stuff soon. Trust me I’d rather go CCM for the price difference but durability is super important to me and can overrule price sometimes. 

Archived