Toe/Boot Straps

cwarnar

Finally got a decent pic of my DIY shock cord toe straps and my elastic boot straps.  I wear Passau Axiom pads, that already are the best I've ever worn, but with these mods I've noticed a significant reduction of stress on my ankles, knees and hips.  While improving my pad response/rotation and helping with my attack angle while pushing.

Hoping to get into a VH or Bauer cowlingless skate to really help my game.  If anyone wants more info or pics let me know! 

16427271_10154741191330041_1334447368185855716_n.jpg

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/9/2017 at 9:53 AM, cwarnar said:

Mine are similar to pro laces... Pics attached

cwarnar nice work!

my son also has a set of Passeau Axiom, retro, I would like to better understand your toe tie system.  Is the attachment made with the two rectangular pieces on the top of the skate via a Velcro system?

can you also elaborate on what type of bungee type material are you using!

my sons toe tie is currently with laces - albeit very loose and a strap that runs under his skate.  Typical set up but loose in order to avoid any stress on his ankles...

i just got him a pair of Reactor 9000's with the Lundy strap that I will like for him to start experimenting with in order to improve the skates ability to work sooner than later on pushes when In his bfly.

On 2017-02-09 at 9:13 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Can you make a compatible set to Brian's? My have a the toe attachment sewn in

I might be able to come up with something... with the Velcro pieces being sewn in I had these built directly on the toe bridge

5 hours ago, Big2 said:

cwarnar nice work!

my son also has a set of Passeau Axiom, retro, I would like to better understand your toe tie system.  Is the attachment made with the two rectangular pieces on the top of the skate via a Velcro system?

can you also elaborate on what type of bungee type material are you using!

my sons toe tie is currently with laces - albeit very loose and a strap that runs under his skate.  Typical set up but loose in order to avoid any stress on his ankles...

i just got him a pair of Reactor 9000's with the Lundy strap that I will like for him to start experimenting with in order to improve the skates ability to work sooner than later on pushes when In his bfly.

The shock cord is 3/16" that I picked up Canadian Tire. The attachment pieces are jenpro with hook and loop Velcro. 

The issue with loose skate lace ties is that the pad is delayed in rotation or getting back into place.  The shock cord eliminates this issue with reducing stress on your joints

2 hours ago, Big2 said:

Got it on the reaction time - il be honest with you it doesn't seem to be an issue with my son's set up but I will monitor. I will try to get a similar set up made.

question: what is the length of the bungee on your system?

8". You don't want them too tight... it also helps the young ones get their gear on 

I came up my own design for bungee toe ties that is similar, yet a bit different.   Actually, this is my 3rd version of them.    I made them out of the standard tarp tie-downs that you can find at any Home Depot or Lowes.   I remove the plastic ball on the end, leaving just the knot.  If there is no knot, just tie one.   I decided to add a small washer to keep the knot from pushing through, however, it may not be needed.  From there, just push the loop end through the holes in the toe bridge (you may need to use some long nose pliers to pull it through, or expand the hole slightly).   From there, just route them through your skate cowling like you would with laces and then clip them to the S-clip on top of your skates.   Cost me less than $10 for a set and took less than 15 minutes to do both pads.  I decided to just leave the clips attached to my skate laces all the time, however, that is optional.  See pics below:   

V3 Toe Ties 1.JPG

V3 toe ties 4.JPG

V3 Toe Ties 2.JPG

201282-3.jpg

S_hook ring.jpg

On 2/16/2017 at 12:03 PM, Srsieve said:

I came up my own design for bungee toe ties that is similar, yet a bit different.   Actually, this is my 3rd version of them.    I made them out of the standard tarp tie-downs that you can find at any Home Depot or Lowes.   I remove the plastic ball on the end, leaving just the knot.  If there is no knot, just tie one.   I decided to add a small washer to keep the knot from pushing through, however, it may not be needed.  From there, just push the loop end through the holes in the toe bridge (you may need to use some long nose pliers to pull it through, or expand the hole slightly).   From there, just route them through your skate cowling like you would with laces and then clip them to the S-clip on top of your skates.   Cost me less than $10 for a set and took less than 15 minutes to do both pads.  I decided to just leave the clips attached to my skate laces all the time, however, that is optional.  See pics below:

Bloody genius!

On 2/16/2017 at 3:07 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I use smart toe straps and I've had no issues, but with all these new designs... I'm very tempted to do something new

this is the most interesting because it eliminates Velcro 

I've been toying with another closure option other than the hook and loop Velcro. I've thought about using 2 plastic hooks (see attached pic)

The only issues is foresee is breakage or not sitting right on the skate or the bottom of the pad

5A9E6D1D-2E38-480C-BB7C-8D0E9B0953AA-2449-000001803690C73C_tmp.png

On 2/16/2017 at 7:58 PM, cwarnar said:

I've been toying with another closure option other than the hook and loop Velcro. I've thought about using 2 plastic hooks (see attached pic)

The only issues is foresee is breakage or not sitting right on the skate or the bottom of the pad

Why not use a clip like the previous poster? Looks metal, shouldn't break 

The first 2 versions of my design used single bungees.  In fact, only A single bungee on one side, with a small brass hook on it.  (See V1 below). 

It worked well, however, with a single bungee, I felt that there was too much give to it, and not enough pull to get the pad re-centered every time.   Occasionally, the pads would get stuck and I would have to help them back to center.    I also had one of the bungees break during a game (which is why I have since added some electrical tape around the front post of my skate to minimize the wear).  

With my latest version, I not only have two strands instead of one, but the bungee cord is slightly thicker and stronger than the ones I used before.  So far, the pads always re-center perfectly, and the feel is exactly how I want them to feel.    

I also decided to remove the boot strap, as it became over-kill with double bungee system in place.   

You can certainly get away with a single cord, but having the loop allows the use of the S hook, instead of clips or something else that could break or come loose.

The S hooks that I used are metal, yet are very light, and only cost about $4 each at Lowes.   Give it a shot.   Super easy, very inexpensive and functions as well or better than any other I have seen, so far (IMO).  

BungeeFlexV1.JPG

BTW, another big upside of my latest version is the ease of swapping out a bungee if one starts to show wear.    I bought a package of 10 bungees for $8 from Lowes. I used 4 of them on my pads, leaving 6 spares.    If one needs to be replaced, I just have to pull the old one out, put a new one in place and I am good to go.  It would take less than 5 minutes to switch one out.    With the other designs, you would have to order new ones, or replace some clips, sew in some new velcro tabs, etc.  

For example, in my first version, to replace a bungee I first had to cut the old one off of my pad, then I had to remove one of the brass hooks from the new bungee, and re-sew the non-hook end to my toe-bridge.   That was a pain, so I avoided doing that until it was too late and I had one break during a game.   

Given how much they rub against the skate and cowling during play, they will need to be replaced at some point, so IMO, it makes sense to make that process as easy as possible.   

On 2/17/2017 at 11:11 AM, Srsieve said:

BTW, another big upside of my latest version is the ease of swapping out a bungee if one starts to show wear.    I bought a package of 10 bungees for $8 from Lowes. I used 4 of them on my pads, leaving 6 spares.    If one needs to be replaced, I just have to pull the old one out, put a new one in place and I am good to go.  It would take less than 5 minutes to switch one out.    With the other designs, you would have to order new ones, or replace some clips, sew in some new velcro tabs, etc.  

For example, in my first version, to replace a bungee I first had to cut the old one off of my pad, then I had to remove one of the brass hooks from the new bungee, and re-sew the non-hook end to my toe-bridge.   That was a pain, so I avoided doing that until it was too late and I had one break during a game.   

Given how much they rub against the skate and cowling during play, they will need to be replaced at some point, so IMO, it makes sense to make that process as easy as possible.   

I wonder if that has to do with the thickness of the bungee/shock cord.  The Monster HALs I used prior showed little to no wear in 9 months of 1 skate per week use.

On 2/19/2017 at 0:44 PM, cwarnar said:

I wonder if that has to do with the thickness of the bungee/shock cord.  The Monster HALs I used prior showed little to no wear in 9 months of 1 skate per week use.

It could be.  My latest version has 2 per side for a total of 4 cords, vs a single cord on one side with my earlier models.   In addition, each cord is significantly thicker and stronger than the previous versions.   All of that combined should make them last much longer.   For point of reference, I had one bungee break (earlier version) after about a year of usage, playing 2-3 times per week.    I am guessing with the latest version, they should last multiple years before I have to replace one.   

With this version, I was able to remove the boot strap altogether, as it was not needed any longer, and the pads have re-centered them-selves perfectly so far.  

Archived