Toe/Boot Straps

cwarnar

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got tired of the toe laces that came with my new pads, they were WAAAYYYYY too long.  I saw the Smart Straps and Toe Bridge products at my local shop, and did not feel like spending $25 or $40(!) respectively to address the issue.  Took them out and replaced with a simple shock cord setup that cost about $1.50 in material and 30 minutes to put together.  One 3’ length for each pad, tied a loop in the middle for a pull loop, another knot at about 2/3 the length of the skate, then another about 1.5” in front as a lead between the skate and the pad, then laced it into the toe bridge.  Simple to pull on over the blade holder.  Will be using that setup for the second time this morning, no issues so far...

C2C72C6E-7490-45DF-9684-CFA456A8117A.jpeg

133923E7-B00B-4056-A618-F9091204AC13.jpeg

43 minutes ago, JediGoalie30 said:

I got tired of the toe laces that came with my new pads, they were WAAAYYYYY too long.  I saw the Smart Straps and Toe Bridge products at my local shop, and did not feel like spending $25 or $40(!) respectively to address the issue.  Took them out and replaced with a simple shock cord setup that cost about $1.50 in material and 30 minutes to put together.  One 3’ length for each pad, tied a loop in the middle for a pull loop, another knot at about 2/3 the length of the skate, then another about 1.5” in front as a lead between the skate and the pad, then laced it into the toe bridge.  Simple to pull on over the blade holder.  Will be using that setup for the second time this morning, no issues so far...

Neat set up but it doesn't seem like something that, during a mad scramble, has the resiliency to stay on.

Do you attach the back loop to anything?

56 minutes ago, JediGoalie30 said:

That’s very creative indeed. If you want a lightweight option for attaching to the back loop, try a OneWrap cable tie. 

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Neat set up but it doesn't seem like something that, during a mad scramble, has the resiliency to stay on.

Do you attach the back loop to anything?

Second skate with the shock cords today, had a few good scrambles with no problems.  The loops fit pretty snugly around the top of the blade holder, and I left enough of a lead between the front of the boot loop and the pad so they shouldn’t get pulled from the front too much.  The only way I could really see them coming loose is if something caught and pulled on the loop in the back, and I don’t really think that’s all that likely to happen.  So far, I like it, they don’t hinder my skate movement and they are super fast to get on and off.

21 minutes ago, JediGoalie30 said:

Second skate with the shock cords today, had a few good scrambles with no problems.  The loops fit pretty snugly around the top of the blade holder, and I left enough of a lead between the front of the boot loop and the pad so they shouldn’t get pulled from the front too much.  The only way I could really see them coming loose is if something caught and pulled on the loop in the back, and I don’t really think that’s all that likely to happen.  So far, I like it, they don’t hinder my skate movement and they are super fast to get on and off.

Good to hear. Definitely a creative solution.

I like it.

7 hours ago, JediGoalie30 said:

If you're using elastic cord you don't need slack. 

12 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

So... no one uses toe hooks? ?

Nope. 

49 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

So... no one uses toe hooks? ?

Nope

33 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Weird. They work out really well for me. Once you put them on they very rarely wear off. I’d recommend it. Keeps my ankle in place so my blade is angled more on the straight side so it’s easier for me to recover. 

Pro Laces for life

59 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Weird. They work out really well for me. Once you put them on they very rarely wear off. I’d recommend it. Keeps my ankle in place so my blade is angled more on the straight side so it’s easier for me to recover. 

No thank you. Much better options out there. 

1 minute ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Nah I completely understand why you guys use that kind of stuff. It’s working for me so I’m happy.. might consider the pro laces though.

Whatever works best for you man.  Don't change just because other people say to.  But I would say give it a shot and see what you think about.  If you don't like it then you shouldn't have a hard time telling it.

24 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Whatever works best for you man.  Don't change just because other people say to.  But I would say give it a shot and see what you think about.  If you don't like it then you shouldn't have a hard time telling it.

Thanks. I appreciate that answer a lot more than someone just saying nah, there’s A LOT better options than yours. Like I said though, I’ll consider trying stuff out but I feel that’s one of the only pieces of my gear that doesn’t need to be updated right now ?

Archived