Paddle Grip Thread

BadAngle41

Update: Finally did go ahead and cut my first paddle. Just shortened it an inch (no fancy cut-out this time) but did the trick. 

Will be using it tomorrow so it should play like the paddle size I'm used to playing (25").

Covered the cut area with stretch wrap tape and sealed along the edges with white tape, covered by some clear on the ends, as well as the middle.

I don't mind using clear tape in this area as it doesn't interfere with me gripping the stick, but I still feel I can throw out a poke check and am still able to reel the stick back in with ease. 

EDIT: Used the stick and it felt great!

Now hoping it holds up. You just never know with a paddle mod how it may affect durability/longevity of a stick (i have heard varying opinions on this subject), but here's hoping. I am not a big puck-playing goalie, so hoping this will help a paddle cut mod last a bit longer. 

C8F567EF-CC3B-461F-A940-A2EA0DBCC755.thumb.jpeg.8c33ee0bf6984e8bc68eabb2deb6ab38.jpeg

Edited by creasecollector
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought in light of the V1 stick thread being resurrected I'd dig this up and report some results.  I've tried cutting a variation of the Lundquist grip into 4 different stick types:

Warrior RV1 Pro+: 1 of 2 sticks cut failed.  Failure was after many uses and I was really leaning on it.   Uncut 3rd stick from the pack was given away 2 years ago and is still going strong in low level beer league.

Warrior M/1 Pro+: 2 of 2 sticks cut failed.  Failures were almost instant and with minimal force.   Uncut 3rd stick from pack is taking up space in my stick rack.   I may dig it out occasionally if I want to try a stick without a custom grip, but that's unlikely.

CCM Eflex 4: 2 sticks cut, 0 failures.  These are my primary game sticks and I have an uncut, unused backup from the 3 pack, which I'm profoundly thankful for!  

Bauer Supreme Ultrasonic: Picked up a pro-stock one of these in red to match my EF5 setup.   So far so good, it's been used 3 times since being cut down and hasn't show any signs of failure.  

I see others cutting Warrior sticks in this thread, but the circular cuts are a little less aggressive than what I do.  If I were going to cut a Warrior, I'd do so carefully and stay to just trimming the paddle a bit.  

On 10/11/2023 at 6:18 PM, jerd31 said:

Got bored, whipped out my jigsaw and went to town on an old Warrior V1 Pro+ I retired a while back

IMG_8524.thumb.jpeg.bd98d73c6e8062e88ce515d52094e0c5.jpeg

I’ve done this to two of my Warriors and absolutely love the grip.  I’ve actually modified it a bit to shave down some more on my thumb side.  Both have held up with no issues, including the occasional post smash after letting in a goal.  

IMG_8989.thumb.jpeg.3fe2d13df8671085931f128cb79ee22f.jpeg