Paddle Grip Thread

BadAngle41

If it aint broke, don't fix it. 

That has been my mindset when it comes to sticks. I'd play around with paddle height, lie, makeup of course... but never stepped into the realm of paddle modification. Seemed weird and pointless to me. Shaved down for some whole hand grip... trigger for more control... always seemed like modding for the sake of modding. 

InGoal's recent article on Lundqvist's paddle... and more specifically Sean Murray's deep dive on the why had me curious though. For those of you who don't have a membership... it essentially goes into how the repositioning the hand/wrist & elbow translates into mechanical advantages when in the proper stance and tracking. It's something I've paid much more attention to myself over the past few years as I've struggled at times with getting the same movements with my blocker hand that I have with my glove; being able to get over the puck. Holding the stick traditionally with forefinger on the paddle and the rest wrapping around the shaft... I've felt that the stick can impede the movement I want to make. 

Long story somewhat shorter now... I cut into a stick yesterday and used it last night. While I need to continue to dial it in... it did feel FANTASTIC!! Wrist felt completely opened up and free to move the way I wanted to... and I actually found that as a result I tracked much better stick side. Whereas before I would make a fair number of saves off my paddle in a skate... I was getting my blocker to those same spots and making a better more controlled save. Exactly what I was looking for. 

I'll continue to update this topic as I Goldie Locks this and get to something that is just right. In the mean time, I've linked similar topics below, but for any of you who are old hand at this already... please share...

• What shape do you have?
  • How did you find it?
  • How do you hold it?
  • What advantages do you find it has over the traditional shape?
  • What specs go into yours?
  • Where do you cut and how?

Resources:

InGoalMag Article: Lundqvist Explains How and Why of Custom Stick Grip

TheGoalNet: Brands with Trigger Grip Topic

TheGoalNet: Shaving Composite Goal Stick Paddle Topic

My Modifications So Far: 

HOW: Used a Dremel cutting wheel for the basic shape. Dremel grinding wheel for rounding it. Dremel Sanding Wheel for burr removal. Light brushing of Spar Varnish over the newly exposed foam and composite. Then wrapped it all up with some grip tape and stick tape at the top and bottom to hold it. 

IMPRESSIONS: Great mobility at the wrist. Definately going to pursue further adjustments. Notch is perhaps too deep. Found that while I could hold it very well... transitioning to playing the puck (or god forbid a poke check) the notch made it difficult to release.

NEXT UP: Shave down inside shoulder to flat. See how that feels and guage impact (if I do like it) on where I should put the notch next time (albeit a smaller notch.)

Front:

image.thumb.png.28a6fa0f5655f2345e24833e6f037d29.png

Back:

image.thumb.png.8b01aa2f386d315fb22a24f0b66da9ca.png

Taped Up:

image.thumb.png.7a76e8bacf3ff27f8dd6b24c952506d0.png

Grip: Forefinger (index) on paddle, Middle Finger in notch

image.thumb.png.4f64a5cffd071ac1dd66cf3f707d0bc3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

the shape of the blade on the bottom, that what they forgot to mention and is key in controlling rebounds and movement of stick.

getting a shorter paddle and adding knob 1" above the paddle  accomplishes the same thing with a rocker blade.

also dependent if u have big hand or not.

• Like 1

After, I'm pretty sure, reading on here about tennis overwraps, I did some experimenting with tapes on the paddle, knob and blade.  While I'm not willing to cut a fiberglass paddle (yet), I have no issues cutting the shaft down a few inches (3-6") if necessary.  I was cutting my senior sticks but have yet to cut my intermediate sticks since starting to use them this year.  For the paddle, regular hockey cloth tape is the least grippy, then grip tape, then tennis overwrap tape.  I do have to seal it up with some cloth tape, and I probably could have used more for a better tape job, but I was going for weight savings to keep my stick as light as possible.  The over wrap tape is 3 bucks at Walmart.  I've gotten at least 12 games with it so far without major wear and tear.  It definitely doesn't seem as durable as the other two tapes.  The grip is great and works well for me.

20201027_205247.jpg

20201027_210747.jpg

20201027_210756.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/27/2020 at 9:24 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

After, I'm pretty sure, reading on here about tennis overwraps, I did some experimenting with tapes on the paddle, knob and blade.  While I'm not willing to cut a fiberglass paddle (yet), I have no issues cutting the shaft down a few inches (3-6") if necessary.  I was cutting my senior sticks but have yet to cut my intermediate sticks since starting to use them this year.  For the paddle, regular hockey cloth tape is the least grippy, then grip tape, then tennis overwrap tape.  I do have to seal it up with some cloth tape, and I probably could have used more for a better tape job, but I was going for weight savings to keep my stick as light as possible.  The over wrap tape is 3 bucks at Walmart.  I've gotten at least 12 games with it so far without major wear and tear.  It definitely doesn't seem as durable as the other two tapes.  The grip is great and works well for me.

Bauer has a tape offering that might work for you too, but it comes with a Bauer price.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/stick-accessories/hockey-tape/bauer-goalie-accessories-replaceable-goal-stick-grip-tape.html

The tape seems to have a little layer of padding sandwiched in between, I'm guessing to help dampen vibration/impacts

On 10/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, dreadlocked1 said:

20201027_205247.jpg

20201027_210747.jpg

20201027_210756.jpg

I used that type of tennis wrap tape for a long time.  Lasts for a while, just the right amount of grip, loved it.  I got the idea from GSBB I believe.  Only ended up not using it when my CCM composites came with the grip coating.  If they didn't have any grip, I'd still be using the tennis wrap.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Bauer has a tape offering that might work for you too, but it comes with a Bauer price.

https://www.goaliemonkey.com/accessories/stick-accessories/hockey-tape/bauer-goalie-accessories-replaceable-goal-stick-grip-tape.html

The tape seems to have a little layer of padding sandwiched in between, I'm guessing to help dampen vibration/impacts

Thanks, I have seene that.  The tennis overwrap is probably close to the same thing.  Curious to the Bauer's durability.  3 bucks for 3 wraps, or 7 bucks for one that doesn't appear to be long enough to go down the paddle.  I'll stick with the overwrap.

On 10/27/2020 at 10:24 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

While I'm not willing to cut a fiberglass paddle (yet), I have no issues cutting the shaft down a few inches (3-6") if necessary. 

I've been a trigger grip user for years. A few years back I was looking for a solution that would work without having to cut a composite stick. This is the end result:

After going to VHB tape and taping over it, I've been very happy with the result. While the grip is a bit different than I'd been using, it is still comfortable and gives me the increased control I'm looking for.

Edited by Nova
  • Like 1

You should post a final pic of what you ended up with.  I would imagine the whole set up adds a bit of weight to the stick?  I would definitely try your idea.  I think I could make it work as I'm using a 23.5" intermediate, but was comfortable as well with a 25" senior.  I was going for a minimalist tape job or I would have added a tape bump or two (top and bottom of index finger down the paddle) underneath the tape for additional support, but wanted to try this first (pic is my covid-house stick with this).  I've never owned a top tier stick until now, so I wanted to keep the weight down.  I ended up with Bladetape and Buttendz Future knob as well.  Love the newer tech now.  I warm up with a more heavily taped CR/3 for that perception to super-light stick transition. 

20201029_204116.jpg

• Like 1

I do understand the benefits of having à trigger on the paddle, but as someone who pokes check a LOT (probably too much TBH), I think that would be my major issue with implementing such an idea.

That being said, I did play around with adding grip to the bottom of the shaft and what was initially meant to improve grip ended up improving my control of the stick and hand fatigue.  I now use the Tacki Mak Command grip and cut it in half.  Use the top half for the knob of the stick and use the bottom half for the grip just above the paddle.  it beefs up the stick just enough, helps with grip and has the added bonus of cutting down greatly on stick vibration and hand fatigue throughout the game.

If anyone wants  to give it a try, I suggest NOT using the double sided tape provided with the product, and instead apply it with hair spray.  Works just has well and makes the grip much easier to reuse when switching stick.

IMG_20201029_142234168_2.jpg

IMG_20201029_142159147_2.jpg

IMG_20201029_142222169_2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/30/2020 at 2:14 PM, RichMan said:

Kasimir Kaskisuo shows his example of his trigger cut-out on a broken (or cut) paddle in his latest Youtube vlog. I commented that he should do a video on it and more feedback. We'll see if he'll post one. 

I saw in his "What's In The Bag" video where he has a trigger along with a cut to the inside shoulder as well. While the trigger itself is pretty similar to what I've cut... he puts his index finger in the trigger whereas the InGoal article highlights the middle finger going there instead. It definitely presents the blocker differently and changes my hand/wrist/elbow positioning as well. Only 2 skates with it thus far but I feel so much more freedom on my blocker side... albeit at the expense of my ability to poke check without what feels like some decent forethought. 

On 10/27/2020 at 6:10 PM, DL42 said:

the shape of the blade on the bottom, that what they forgot to mention and is key in controlling rebounds and movement of stick.

getting a shorter paddle and adding knob 1" above the paddle  accomplishes the same thing with a rocker blade.

also dependent if u have big hand or not.

While I understand what you mean regarding the rocker on the blade to accommodate the movements in butterfly and having your stick maintain sufficient contact with the ice... mind posting any images about it or how you'd hold with the knob 1" above the paddle?

I'm envisioning the knob being the new shoulder; located between the middle and ring fingers (as well as the stop between the thumb and index) with the index on the paddle. 

image.thumb.png.fe61df149ce5f85130a795a233805d30.png

• Like 1

On 10/29/2020 at 7:45 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

You should post a final pic of what you ended up with.  I would imagine the whole set up adds a bit of weight to the stick?

My gear is packed away in storage and could very well end up staying there until next winter. But the stick is exactly like it was in the photos, only now it has a wrap of tape over top so the added plastic piece so I'm not relying solely on the VHB tape to hold it on. As far as weight goes, that plastic piece weighs next to nothing.

Edited by Nova

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

.....how you'd hold with the knob 1" above the paddle?

I'm envisioning the knob being the new shoulder; located between the middle and ring fingers (as well as the stop between the thumb and index) with the index on the paddle. 

the hand is on the knob so you  dont have to hold it too tightly and fingers keeps it in place giving free range of motion. in stance the blocker is at an angle similar to the pad in stance. it also takes vibration off the stick redirecting.

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

2 hours ago, Nova said:

My gear is packed away in storage and could very well end up staying there until next winter. But the stick is exactly like it was in the photos, only now it has a wrap of tape over top so the added plastic piece so I'm not relying solely on the VHB tape to hold it on. As far as weight goes, that plastic piece weighs next to nothing.

I pictured it as you had wrapped a good portion of the paddle for some reason, but I get what you mean now.

Thanks for the pics DL42.

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Is it just me, or does the alien hand @BadAngle41 drew look more human this the hand in his picture

image.png.d904fd3f92811a76647ff82090703ff3.pngimage.png.d9ad19a7ccbd215eb00218c348252782.png

I’m in the final round of auditions for Christian Bale’s body double in The Machinist 2... gotta stay slimmed down. 
It is an awful picture... I’d like to say I was veining out after an intense bike ride... or that my knuckles have calcified from all my fights over the years... but really I just have bony hands. 
On the upside... really liking this grip. Still need to find tune the it... round out the top of the notch... a little shallower... finding it’s holding onto my finger a bit more than I’d like. As in it makes the ability to poke check or play the puck a little challenging. Wrist mobility is amazing though. Really feel it’s accomplishing what Sean Murray touted it as. 
Once I have the shape dialed in... I’ll transfer it to my game sticks. 

7 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I’m in the final round of auditions for Christian Bale’s body double in The Machinist 2... gotta stay slimmed down. 
It is an awful picture... I’d like to say I was veining out after an intense bike ride... or that my knuckles have calcified from all my fights over the years... but really I just have bony hands. 
On the upside... really liking this grip. Still need to find tune the it... round out the top of the notch... a little shallower... finding it’s holding onto my finger a bit more than I’d like. As in it makes the ability to poke check or play the puck a little challenging. Wrist mobility is amazing though. Really feel it’s accomplishing what Sean Murray touted it as. 
Once I have the shape dialed in... I’ll transfer it to my game sticks. 

Reporting you for threatening physical violence upon me

@coopaloop1234 knows what I'm talking about

On 10/27/2020 at 11:24 PM, dreadlocked1 said:

20201027_205247.jpg

20201027_210747.jpg

20201027_210756.jpg

Great idea! I have been waiting for Butt Endz to make something with their grips for this

• Thanks 1

So I decided to have a crack at this.  I had an EF4 stick sitting around that I'd already done some reshaping of the shoulders on.   It was very little work to modify it to mimic what Lundqvist uses.  I've also used foam to fill out the grip area of my Warrior M1P+ sticks, so I decided to incorporate that here as well.  I don't pay for InGoal Premium, so I'm not sure what Lundy's logic for this is, but based on reviews here I was interested in trying a couple different grips out.

PXL_20201112_003356120.thumb.jpg.3510472c62fd175808de53e4756f4ebb.jpg

PXL_20201112_003400255.thumb.jpg.d2d6f531f9008d95bd7bd5139d502e51.jpg

By locating the foam carefully I was able to minimize contact with the sharp edges of the cutout, and a little stretchy tape made it quite comfortable.

PXL_20201112_003935503.thumb.jpg.ec4c7c76cd8d8e3c326c8a5f88b71574.jpg

PXL_20201112_003944260.thumb.jpg.05e71592cd2305603074a1b72b8e8b34.jpg

I'll admit, I didn't really expect much from this mod.  It looks horribly uncomfortable, but in fact it's just the opposite.  My hand feels locked in place on the stick (in a good way) and the square shoulder isn't awkward at all, despite the appearance. 

Unfortunately I didn't get to decide if the mod works well for me or not yet.   I got a game in with it last night, but given that it was my first game back after injuries to both legs I was moving poorly and was more focused on not moving in a way that caused my ankle to hurt more than it already does as opposed to my stickwork.  Unfortunately last night convinced me I probably need to take another couple weeks before trying to play again, but I'll update once I have a better impression of what this does (if anything) for my game.

• 1 month later...

Started to work on a custom stick grip with an old foam core stick. The first cut was slightly to wide and still to far away for my finger to curl around. The second cut is closer to the handle and not as wide. Overall feels very comfortable! The next step is putting this on a stick I would actually use. I have two V1 Pros (not pluses just pros) and a 3s Pro (no ergo spine on this). The bauer is my main stick and the one that I ideally would put it on but I don’t know if it would work. If anyone knows if it would let me know!!

A4D730D6-6699-473F-A0E7-11D97DF21C0E.jpeg

F741043A-A319-4C70-8332-AAC6B64C6795.jpeg

E5211E9F-24F3-460E-95B8-1A546CAB0404.jpeg

11 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Started to work on a custom stick grip with an old foam core stick. The first cut was slightly to wide and still to far away for my finger to curl around. The second cut is closer to the handle and not as wide. Overall feels very comfortable! The next step is putting this on a stick I would actually use. I have two V1 Pros (not pluses just pros) and a 3s Pro (no ergo spine on this). The bauer is my main stick and the one that I ideally would put it on but I don’t know if it would work. If anyone knows if it would let me know!!

A4D730D6-6699-473F-A0E7-11D97DF21C0E.jpeg

F741043A-A319-4C70-8332-AAC6B64C6795.jpeg

E5211E9F-24F3-460E-95B8-1A546CAB0404.jpeg

Look for VOGoalie on YouTube he gives all the measures on how he did his 

My CCM is still holding up, and I actually did a Warrior M1 Pro+ a few weeks back.  That stick only lasted 2 games before cracking right where I cut it.   I just did 3 more tonight (Another EF4, another M1 Pro+ and a V1 Pro+) but added some quick curing epoxy over the cuts.   I'm going to wrap it firmly with stick tape before adding my padding to see if that makes the Warrior sticks hold up better.