Piranha Peg - New Net Peg

Joe Messina

19 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

None of ours have those, likely due to the time for install and maintenance... The rink guys never set up the nets either... They're usually left out against the boards... ours here is just the typical standard junk peg.  Most have been around so long that they've rounded off on the bottom

download.jpeg.acd5d1a173a84a7e4c367cbb94802fcf.jpeg

I don't understand the "time" problem for setting up and maintenance. Once the rink operator gets off the ice, someone skates out, grabs the drill from the rink guy, goes to drill out the holes and brings the drill back. It's not as though the hole fills up and freezes every time either, it's just full of water and you've gotta get that out so that it doesn't freeze solid.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

I don't understand the "time" problem for setting up and maintenance. Once the rink operator gets off the ice, someone skates out, grabs the drill from the rink guy, goes to drill out the holes and brings the drill back. It's not as though the hole fills up and freezes every time either, it's just full of water and you've gotta get that out so that it doesn't freeze solid.

You trust the "missed three spots while simultaneously flooding the arena" guy or the "aims for your head in warmup" guys to do this properly? :P

38 minutes ago, insertnamehere said:

Absolutely zero chance of that happening where I play. 

One of the rinks here in Victoria has 2 younger guys employed that do the marsh pegs for every session.  Man, it's sooo nice.  The rink is on the Naval Base though, so does not have the usual budget/staffing concerns that most community rinks have.

One of the rinks I play in has pegs similar to the Pirahna but with 4 spikes, on a few of the pegs two of the spikes have already blown off.

22 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Absolutely zero chance of that happening where I play. 

This will be the answer for 99% of the rinks... Ultimately they don't care... for them pegs are pegs.  Cheapest bidder wins, regardless of function.

5 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

This will be the answer for 99% of the rinks... Ultimately they don't care... for them pegs are pegs.  Cheapest bidder wins, regardless of function.

Yep. I mean our nets have posts that have rusted holes in them and netting that have been tied together in so many places.... They just do not care. 

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Yep. I mean our nets have posts that have rusted holes in them and netting that have been tied together in so many places.... They just do not care. 

I actually have that problem with the Piranha pegs. The pick up nets are not round and they are rusted through. Sometimes they don't pop on perfectly on the first try. This is not the pegs fault, but kinda funny 

Just now, TheGoalNet said:

I actually have that problem with the Piranha pegs. The pick up nets are not round and they are rusted through. Sometimes they don't pop on perfectly on the first try. This is not the pegs fault, but kinda funny 

I've caught my skate blade in the holes a couple times. Hurts the ankle like hell when you don't realize the post is holding your foot horizontal and you try to stand up. 

I like these pegs a lot and I think most goalies would love the ability to push from the posts without the net becoming dislodged, but there's still some logistics that are less than ideal with bringing your own pegs (at least in my league).

We switch ends after each period.  What a pain that would be to switch the pegs out and carry them to the other end.  Where's the original pegs?  Refs wouldn't allow unused pegs to sit on the net due to safety issues of them flying off during play, so now you skate to the bench, grab the old pegs, skate back, swap the pegs out, now skate back to the other end with pegs and water bottle in your glove?  Seems excessive to me.

And if you leave them in, you benefit for two periods only.  Seems the market for this product would be to have the arenas on board to purchase 2 sets for each ice sheet.

On 3/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, TheGoalNet said:

I think what happens is the posts on the net frames get dented from rink attendants leaning the nets up against the walls when the Zamboni is out. Do that time and time again, it will cause the circular circumference of the posts to sometimes dent depending on the quality of the goal post frame. However, if you maneuver the Piranha Pegs around if this is the case on the net, it will wiggle in as we made the peg nub slightly smaller. 

21743394_1865239777124490_59909271575877

23 minutes ago, Joe Messina said:

I think what happens is the posts on the net frames get dented from rink attendants leaning the nets up against the walls when the Zamboni is out. Do that time and time again, it will cause the circular circumference of the posts to sometimes dent depending on the quality of the goal post frame. However, if you maneuver the Piranha Pegs around if this is the case on the net, it will wiggle in as we made the peg nub slightly smaller. 

21743394_1865239777124490_59909271575877

Yes, 100% correct. The posts in question are rusted through and deformed at the bottom. 

I think they use the oldest and worst possible nets for the pick up or open ice

Archived