Jump to content

Dangler placement


Recommended Posts

Just wondering what everyone does with the dangler if they have one. In ball hockey mine is lower and more loose. For ice hockey I have it higher and tighter to the mask. I'm thinking about trying something different because it catches on my chest protector sometimes. 

Any suggestions? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CJ Boiss said:

I wear my dangler low and loose. Never had issues with it catching my chestie. Out of curiosity, how are you tying your dangler on?

Can't remember on my ball hockey mask because it's been years and it's done a different way. I'll have to check. But my ice one i just tied some small pieces of skate lace. 

Suggestions? I'm new to ice hockey goalie and learn something everyday almost 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll show you how I tie my dangler on, and explain why.

So, I use waxed laces because they don't absorb water like a regular lace, and are a bit stiffer as well, which I find helps keep the dangler from swinging around too freely and knocking against my mask.

First thing I do is make sure I anchor each lace around a weld on my cage. A solid anchor keeps the dangler from shifting around my mask the way it would if I looped it through the ear holes, or looped it around just a horizontal or vertical bar bar.

I make that anchor by doing an inside-out kind of loop, I don't really know how to describe it but it's easy to replicate by looking; the only knot in my lace ties is made at the end of the dangler. The anchor loop at the cage weld increases the separation between my dangler and mask a touch, because the laces want to push out away from the mask a bit before gravity takes over and they droop down. The single knot, made on the outside of the dangler after feeding both ends of the lace through the hole, puts yet more lace between the mask and dangler to further reduce contact between the two. The width of the laces, after feeding them both through the same hole, keeps the dangler from riding up, and pulling the dangler down against the knots just tightens them so I never have to worry about them coming loose mid-game. I make sure that the knot on each lace ends *just* at the edge of the mask, which ensures that the dangler never hangs so low that it might get caught between my mask and chestie.

The end result is a dangler that hangs low and forward, with quite a bit of separation from the mask, and very little contact between the two unless the dangler is doing it's job and catching a puck heading for my neck.

(The scratches on the dangler were caused by my buddy, who wore it very tight and close to his mask before giving it to me, because he found it too noisy. And no wonder, the way he was wearing it the thing clattered off the edge of his mask with every head motion he made)

20210416_151327.jpg

20210416_151348.jpg

20210416_153307.jpg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CJ Boiss said:

I'll show you how I tie my dangler on, and explain why.

So, I use waxed laces because they don't absorb water like a regular lace, and are a bit stiffer as well, which I find helps keep the dangler from swinging around too freely and knocking against my mask.

First thing I do is make sure I anchor each lace around a weld on my cage. A solid anchor keeps the dangler from shifting around my mask the way it would if I looped it through the ear holes, or looped it around just a horizontal or vertical bar bar.

I make that anchor by doing an inside-out kind of loop, I don't really know how to describe it but it's easy to replicate by looking; the only knot in my lace ties is made at the end of the dangler. The anchor loop at the cage weld increases the separation between my dangler and mask a touch, because the laces want to push out away from the mask a bit before gravity takes over and they droop down. The single knot, made on the outside of the dangler after feeding both ends of the lace through the hole, puts yet more lace between the mask and dangler to further reduce contact between the two. The width of the laces, after feeding them both through the same hole, keeps the dangler from riding up, and pulling the dangler down against the knots just tightens them so I never have to worry about them coming loose mid-game. I make sure that the knot on each lace ends *just* at the edge of the mask, which ensures that the dangler never hangs so low that it might get caught between my mask and chestie.

The end result is a dangler that hangs low and forward, with quite a bit of separation from the mask, and very little contact between the two unless the dangler is doing it's job and catching a puck heading for my neck.

(The scratches on the dangler were caused by my buddy, who wore it very tight and close to his mask before giving it to me, because he found it too noisy. And no wonder, the way he was wearing it the thing clattered off the edge of his mask with every head motion he made)

20210416_151327.jpg

20210416_151348.jpg

20210416_153307.jpg

Love your mask/cage combo dude. Awesome job!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Plain impressive to read these when people are doing things and thinking what they do and why they do it. 👍

I have to take a picture of mine and give my input for the topic too.

Yup that's why I like to ask. I often think i am comfortable but then take suggestions from people and like it more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ArdeFIN said:

Plain impressive to read these when people are doing things and thinking what they do and why they do it. 👍

I have to take a picture of mine and give my input for the topic too.

 

1 hour ago, Maxpower29 said:

Yup that's why I like to ask. I often think i am comfortable but then take suggestions from people and like it more. 

I've worn a dangler my whole life and the car door liner is one of the most useful life hacks I've ever found online.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

A bit of clear rubber fitting on the edge of your mask, it quiets the sound made when you dangler hits it.

Yep.

It replaces CLANK CLANK sounds with THUD THUD sounds.   I suppose it protects paint too.

You can see mine above on the chin and beneath the ears of my mask.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok thanks I see it now. I might do that. The clank doesn't bother me. I took my ball hockey one off years ago but wore my old chesty really loose. Took a ball off the collar bone and it made me throwing up feeling it hurt so bad. Put it back on and never bothered me after that know what COULD happen. 

On ice I'm interested in the few ideas here because I do find mine gets in my way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, do not leave your collarbone exposed while playing ice hockey.

I may or may not have accidentally broken a goalie's collarbone with a slapshot one time, because his chestie was too loose and he didn't have a dangler or neckguard with collarbone protection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Yeah, do not leave your collarbone exposed while playing ice hockey.

I may or may not have accidentally broken a goalie's collarbone with a slapshot one time, because his chestie was too loose and he didn't have a dangler or neckguard with collarbone protection.

I couldn't even imagine. Wasn't even a hard shot from just a ball and I was done for the night. I'm way over protected in ice so hopefully never happens 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FWIW, I'd also recommend a neck guard with the dangler on the ice, especially if you spend any time at open skates.  Some tool did this to me at a stick and puck and my Maltese was the only thing that saved me from an ambulance ride.

FB_IMG_1618769646459.jpg

Edited by Phantom31
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Now I have some pictures of my danglers. First one is the one I used a few times before shutdown. The front or chin loop goes through the holes on the mask and through the danglers front hole and knot there. I routed the ends back inside for cleaner look. This way the dangler never rises too much to my line of sight. And it also reduced some of the noice from dangler banging around. This only is possible with masks having those chin holes. Bauer NME atleast.

White stuff on the chin and at the end of the dangler is 2mm thick felt with adhesive used under furniture feet. This solution is almost noiseless.

IMG_20210418_212846_8x6.jpg.7a33c8c604640a039de1846b9977fa36.jpg

The next evolution is yet to be tested. Chin is laced the same way as it is working really well. I had some issue with the sides riding up and getting stuck to the cage occasionally. Not much of a change in lacing but effective as the dangler is now staying down really well except for the real world test.

Here the black soft material is velcro with adhesive, I wasn't able to find the felt in black but the velcro does the job as well. I have to add some as the dangler is still finding hard spots to knock.

IMG_20210418_212958_8x6.jpg.745230c3ff8a870b31d67d4dca1e0397.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 7 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 13 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
  • Member Statistics

    1,799
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    scottmcmanus
    Newest Member
    scottmcmanus
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...