Who tires of “coach” in games and drop in?

bunnyman666

I am a 49 year old hack. I learnt the modding quite early knowing that my game was literally going to be different. I literally play how I feel the shot is going to go. But I am not playing any games that would cost a team owner a league bonus and my play isn’t going to have much impact on anything. I am a proud duffer, though the competitive side that I had whilst racing bicycles and duathlon can come out. 

None the less, it seems there has to be a “coach” every once in awhile. Well, I met him in this group I play with. Keep in mind that myself and my goalie partner are the younger guys. This guy is a mere infant compared to the rest of the group. Well, I let in a goal in a weird little play. “Coach” says in this serious, nearly screamy tone “you gotta keep your stick down!” 

Duh. I made a mistake that cost a goal. Whoop dee fuckin’ do. Nobody is getting shipped off to a minor league town 250 miles away from a major airport.  Nobody is getting fined by the coach for a stupid penalty (yes- I was on a team where coach fined us $10 per stupid penalty). We only have two goalies, so I am not going to be wearing the ball cap on the bench. You bring your own puck bunnies and the scouts are at real games! This game means NOTHING. It is FUN, NOT competitive. I got that out of me YEARS back and WILL NOT play in competitive league. I wouldn’t join one OUT OF RESPECT to guys and girls who still have that FIRE. I was there once. I have a job to come home to after the game. When I am competitive, it is no longer fun as I will literally shut down other areas of life to better myself in sport. Not interested any longer. Nothing to prove for me. 

So, what do I do? Put on my best, mocking Canadian accent and say “whatever you say, coach. You’re da best and I am merely a mortal.” Every time he’d score, I would let out a “whoop de doo!” 

If this jack ass is on my team Sunday, it’s going to be tough. If he’s on the OTHER team, I will have to resist the urge for aggressive poke checks intended to trip or just outright hammering him with a stick. But a message needs to be sent, dontcha think?!?

Edited by bunnyman666

I once pushed back against people like this. Now, I say nothing or 'uh-huh' and continue to do whatever I was gonna do anyway. If I can have a private moment with the idiot, I may dispassionately tell them that he's acting like an idiot, but I would never go outta my way to do so. I won't spend one more second of my life meeting people on whatever lower intellectual plane they're on. My Dad used to say, "Scrape 'em off". I never really did get the hang of doing that until my mid/late 30s. Once I started habitually scraping off the hoards, I freed up so much more bandwidth for every other good person, good thing, and good moment in my life. 

Everyone deserves compassion. Sometimes little or no interaction with largely innocuous knuckleheads is an appropriate amount of compassion. More importantly, show yourself compassion by not feeling one ounce of anything for the idiot. You first - for you, your family, friends, people that rely on you. Idiots come in a distant second, third, or maybe they never show. Free up that bandwidth.

• Like 3

@dualshowman There is an appropriate time to coach. Yesterday, a fellow who is obviously a beginner and I were the only two on the ice. He remarked that he can never score in a game. So, I gave him actual examples, such as when it is appropriate to miss the shot for a winger to get the tap in, how close he should be keeping the puck to him, how to beat the poke check, what to do when the goalie makes a bad read and opens his stick, how to read a goalie better, etc. This ended up being a training session for both of us. It was beneficial to both of us. Hopefully, he is a bit more confident and will score more goals, hopefully not on me in a real game LOL That would be the ONLY time to coach, and ONLY if the advise was solicited. It’s much less exhausting than playing shoot out simulations. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MangoRhinehart said:

Awful pylon defenseman yelled at me to get back in net after I moved out to cut down angles on a high percentage shot last night.

No I wasnt going back in my crease... its haunted... 

“Get back in the net because you’re making me look bad!” 🤣

I can't say I have ever had anyone get on my case in a scrimmage game. I guess I'm lucky where everyone understands it's just for shits and giggles.

I've had a few instances of teammates "coach" me. Albeit it was more of a discussion and these are guys that I've played with for years and do have a good grasp on the game as a whole.

My suggestion: Any time he comes down the ice on you, just stand fully upright, arm on the cross bar and wait for him to shoot/score. Nothing takes the wind out of the sails of forwards like refusing to even challenge them.

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

Just now, coopaloop1234 said:

I can't say I have ever had anyone get on my case in a scrimmage game. I guess I'm lucky where everyone understands it's just for shits and giggles.

I've had a few instances of teammates "coach" me. Albeit it was more of a discussion and these are guys that I've played with for years and do have a good grasp on the game as a whole.

My suggestion: Any time he comes down the ice on you, just stand fully upright, arm on the cross bar and wait for him to shoot/score. Nothing takes the wind out of the sails of forwards like refusing to even challenge them.

How did you guess “coach” is also the cherry picker? 🤣

If I notice something that the other team is doing in one of my rec leagues, and my team isn't responding to it, or if the other goalie has some bad habits that my team isn't exploiting, then I'll talk to them about it during the "intermission" or whatever. But I'm sure as shit not going to "coach" them. Especially not during shinny.

I'll never tell a goalie how to do their job, though. I'll tell them about the tendencies of certain players - whether they like to pass, shoot, or deke, to what side, etcetera. (for example, there's one guy I see quite frequently, we call him "Dangle Berries", that likes to float around just behind the play, never passes, and always shoots top-corner glove-side) - but I'll never tell them how to do their job. Unless they ask me for advice.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

If I notice something that the other team is doing in one of my rec leagues, and my team isn't responding to it, or if the other goalie has some bad habits that my team isn't exploiting, then I'll talk to them about it during the "intermission" or whatever. But I'm sure as shit not going to "coach" them. Especially not during shinny.

I'll never tell a goalie how to do their job, though. I'll tell them about the tendencies of certain players - whether they like to pass, shoot, or deke, to what side, etcetera. (for example, there's one guy I see quite frequently, we call him "Dangle Berries", that likes to float around just behind the play, never passes, and always shoots top-corner glove-side) - but I'll never tell them how to do their job. Unless they ask me for advice.

This is the difference! It’s a league. You’re trying for something! You had better believe if a trophy, prize money, or BOTH were on the line, the “coaching” would go BOTH ways in my case.

This happens in every drop-in group. I just thought we had guys old enough that they don’t pull that crap. I am a smarty pants when it happens, and “Okay cooooh-ch. you’re da best. We’re soooooo lucky you’re here!” comes out. 

When the puck goes in, you already knew you had made the mistake, especially seeing it go into a soft hole where the stick would have prevented it! 

I now recall this guy “coaching” in the dressing room. I probably would have kicked his ass if he were anywhere near me in the dressing room. 

21 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

This is the difference! It’s a league. You’re trying for something! You had better believe if a trophy, prize money, or BOTH were on the line, the “coaching” would go BOTH ways in my case.

This happens in every drop-in group. I just thought we had guys old enough that they don’t pull that crap. I am a smarty pants when it happens, and “Okay cooooh-ch. you’re da best. We’re soooooo lucky you’re here!” comes out. 

When the puck goes in, you already knew you had made the mistake, especially seeing it go into a soft hole where the stick would have prevented it! 

I now recall this guy “coaching” in the dressing room. I probably would have kicked his ass if he were anywhere near me in the dressing room. 

Guys like that normally shut up after a simple "Bud, it's shinny; there's no scouts here".

3 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Guys like that normally shut up after a simple "Bud, it's shinny; there's no scouts here".

When I mentioned this fellow, three guys said “Oh- your turn in the barrel. He needs to stop playing with us fogies and play with guys his own age.” This is the sign one guy will finally have enough and knock his block off.

6 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Not always. I've been privy to a good two hand slash across the chest in a pick up game. Same dude eventually got into a full on fight with another guy after most of the guys on the ice were on his case for his crap. 

Was a very weird night.

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Not always. I've been privy to a good two hand slash across the chest in a pick up game. Same dude eventually got into a full on fight with another guy after most of the guys on the ice were on his case for his crap. 

Was a very weird night.

I think this “coach” will end up that that happening. Like I said earlier, I saw him dressing someone down for his play in the dressing room. The guy obviously has a problem. It won’t be me who Bunyans him (ain’t worth it), but someone WILL. 

27 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Was a very weird night.

Guys like that need to go touch some grass. If you're taking out all your aggression on random guys at a rec shinny then your priorities are clearly fucked up.

19 minutes ago, CJ Boiss said:

Guys like that need to go touch some grass. If you're taking out all your aggression on random guys at a rec shinny then your priorities are clearly fucked up.

Agreed 100%!

I remember this one guy playing at a group game who was horse-collaring people and shit like that. Let’s just say when the final buzzer went off, there were about ten people beating the crap out of that guy. That stuff was somewhat fun in Juniors, but scary in an “adult” game. 

Is the individual in question willing to listen when/ if you try to explain to him that this is a recreational league and that all parties are there to have fun and not just win games? 

If he does not want to listen to what you have to say, pay them no mind. It sounds like the rest of your team is beginning to catch on.

20 minutes ago, bildeer said:

Is the individual in question willing to listen when/ if you try to explain to him that this is a recreational league and that all parties are there to have fun and not just win games? 

If he does not want to listen to what you have to say, pay them no mind. It sounds like the rest of your team is beginning to catch on.

They already know LOL

I am just hoping he is shut down before it comes to blows with one of the guys who is drunk from start to finish. 

• 4 weeks later...