All Black Pads

J.spicer70

I used all back gear from Squirts - the start of college. No issues. 

In fariness, I am not fanatical about it though. I don't put too much thought into it and it's never effected me. 

I heard the guy from Goalie Guild was on NHL radio before. His personal gear at the time was all black Vaughn and the topic came up. He had the some opinion... the tracking puck issue is some folk lore 

I have a black catch surface on my retro tan Factory glove. It does visually create a black hole, despite having glo orange on the inside of the T.

My blocker will have a tan face with a black stripe and black underneath. I have no idea if this will help make optical illusions.

I’d go all black, but I want to match more colourways. 

I wear all black gear right now and while I think I have benefitted from some quick whistles I also think I've lost the puck more at my feet or against my pad then I'd like to admit. My next set of gear will be plain Jane mostly white or retro tan because of this. Also, I should get my eyes checked!:thumbup:

6 hours ago, J.spicer70 said:

I am looking to gett an all black set of slrs and have a question. Do they affect your ability to see/track the puck?

IMO for the goalie - minimal.  Ideally you are tracking the puck into your body/gear.  Even if you can't,  you are still feeling where it hit you so you can create visual attachment to the puck off the impact point.

You might be able to generate quicker whistles.  Opponents may have a slightly tougher time picking the puck off your gear as well, but keep in your mind if that's true, your D will have the same issues.

My gear is predominantly black and whilst I don't have any particular tracking issues, as the glove & lacing is black I do occasionally have 'is that actually in there??' moments!

Although as others have said you do get quicker whistles - in a game a couple of months ago I had a game tying goal that should of 100% counted (gopro behind the net) washed out because the ref said that he blew the whistle whilst the puck was in my pads!

Archived