Cutting the cable help

loki1416

So I stopped with the cable TV and got a Roku. One of the biggest things I liked to watch, I'm having a really hard time finding. NHL network (on the fly, etc). Does anyone know what streaming service I need to get to be able to watch that channel? I currently have: Netflix, Hulu no adds (NOT Hulu+live TV), NHL package for games, and Prime. I know that it's live TV and I'm fine with that, but I just can't figure out which service actually has it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Got it figured out. Sling "blue" package with the sports add on. So $46 a month for the ONE channel that I want. I'm sure I can find some other crap on there to watch to make it worth it. Really wish that with stream services I could pick the channels I want and be charged for that channel(s) instead of having to have 300 that I don't want.

2 hours ago, loki1416 said:

Got it figured out. Sling "blue" package with the sports add on. So $46 a month for the ONE channel that I want. I'm sure I can find some other crap on there to watch to make it worth it. Really wish that with stream services I could pick the channels I want and be charged for that channel(s) instead of having to have 300 that I don't want.

I can't help but laugh.  I spent almost 15 years working for a middle/large sized cable company and we went through a period where everyone wanted to threaten us with jumping ship to streaming services  if we didn't bow to their every demand.   Since we didn't own TV stations like Comcast or Charter do we offered to help them cut the cord so we could make more money off of them than we did when they were bundled.   Almost everyone has the same experience you do Loki, whether it's with cable, or streaming.  It's just the person taking your money who's changed.  It takes a dedicated, disciplined person to not end up paying as much or more for streaming video than they did for cable, especially if you like to watch sports or kids programming.

Now I work for a fiber company and video isn't even an option with us.   I'm MUCH happier not having to deal with all the headaches that came with it.

@Puckstopper Oh I fully get the irony (that the word I'm looking for?) of it all. With what I do have, I am keeping it below what I paid for cable TV. But, I'm also in a position where having cable wasn't breaking my bank, so having an extra streaming service for the hockey season that pushes me up a little bit and that I can cancel at the end of the season, really isn't going to kill me. My main motivation was to get rid of commercials. God I hate them so much. But being able to watch shows, on demand, that I want to watch without commercials is so huge to me.

5 hours ago, loki1416 said:

Does Sling blackout your local games?

I signed up for ESPN+ this weekend and was pretty upset when I found local games (LA, ANA) are blacked out.

@Chenner29 Only actual game I've watched is the Caps and Lighting that's on as I type this on NHL network. I know with the "blue" package on Sling, I have some local channels so when the Preds play at home, I'll see if I'm blacked out and will update this. I know with the NHL package that says you can watch ALL the games, the Preds are blacked out. In fact, a LOT of games are blacked out no matter where it is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Does Sling blackout your local games?

I signed up for ESPN+ this weekend and was pretty upset when I found local games (LA, ANA) are blacked out.

The real unfortunate thing is that ESPN is smarter than the NHL app from years gone by.   I could use a VPN to trick that app into thinking I was in a market with games I didn't care about  so I could watch Wings games when I was up visiting the family in Michigan.

Of course, things got simpler when I found someone with a Bally Sports Detroit login they were willing to share.   No more blackouts when visiting the fam!   I'd ask around Chenner, you'd be stunned how many people have no idea that the ability log into apps like Bally Sports or even basic ESPN (not +) and stream them is included in their cable package.   Not only that, many companies let you create a secondary login that can reap the benefits without being able to see billing info, etc for their security.  There's a pretty good barter economy in online logins if you know who to ask.  My former co-worker in Detroit gets a free Pandora Premium login on my family plan, I get a BS Detroit login on his cable package (and all the other channels that I'd lost now that I left my old job), everyone is happy.

3 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

The real unfortunate thing is that ESPN is smarter than the NHL app from years gone by.   I could use a VPN to trick that app into thinking I was in a market with games I didn't care about  so I could watch Wings games when I was up visiting the family in Michigan.

Of course, things got simpler when I found someone with a Bally Sports Detroit login they were willing to share.   No more blackouts when visiting the fam!   I'd ask around Chenner, you'd be stunned how many people have no idea that the ability log into apps like Bally Sports or even basic ESPN (not +) and stream them is included in their cable package.   Not only that, many companies let you create a secondary login that can reap the benefits without being able to see billing info, etc for their security.  There's a pretty good barter economy in online logins if you know who to ask.  My former co-worker in Detroit gets a free Pandora Premium login on my family plan, I get a BS Detroit login on his cable package (and all the other channels that I'd lost now that I left my old job), everyone is happy.

Yeah, I tried to change my location on VPN but it forces my device to share location info.

Not a huge deal, the Habs were in town and my wife wanted to watch.  So we're talking about literally 1 or 2 games a year.  I don't follow either of the two local teams anymore.

7 minutes ago, Desert Tendy said:

Look at the Verizon website by the packages cell phone packages.  It states Disney plus as well.  Not that time interested but they advertise that more than ESPN plus.

They gave us a year free of Disney+ when we upgraded our home internet speed but we were never offered anything for being mobile customers.  I'll check it out, thanks.

14 minutes ago, Desert Tendy said:

Look at the Verizon website by the packages cell phone packages.  It states Disney plus as well.  Not that time interested but they advertise that more than ESPN plus.

5 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

They gave us a year free of Disney+ when we upgraded our home internet speed but we were never offered anything for being mobile customers.  I'll check it out, thanks.

It looks like its 6-12 months free(depending on plan) and just for new customers, what else is new.  Companies always giving to new customers but never to the ones they already have. 

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Can you send me the link to wherever you took this screenshot?  There is no plan listed, or, its covered by that banner at the top of the screen.

https://www.verizon.com/plans/unlimited/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D74055353663489507852293819240246522558|MCORGID%3D777B575E55828EBB7F000101%40AdobeOrg|TS%3D1635970777

Don't worry, the Canadian will help you with your US plans.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Lol shut up, I am posting while working.  Figured it would be easy enough for him to just go back in his history and copy the link instead of me searching around for it.  Thanks though babe

Update: Went to watch NHL Network tonight and they were doing the bonus coverage thing they do where you watch the last period or so of a game. Well, it was Nashville at Chicago, so I clicked it to watch. It was blacked out! I couldn't watch the channel at all because the Preds were playing. Such bullshite. I was already not super happy with the cost so I could watch a single channel (was going to stomach it cause I like the channel). But to find that black out restrictions applied to the channel broke me. Cancelled sling.