CCM AXIS 1.9 CHESTIE.

First thing we need to know is what your access is to being able to try on C/A's.

Second is we'd need to understand what you have used and what you like and didn't like about it.

Third, we'd want to know what you're looking for in a new C/A.

Sidebit: I've heard parroted from a few sales guys that the Premier/Axis C/A's are better suited for guys with very broad shoulders and there's a trend of guys not meeting that criteria forcing themselves into these C/A's solely because they like how big it is. Even to their own detriment.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Get to a store and try one on. Then you don’t have to worry about ordering the wrong size or any other potential issues like that. Also have to think about this: great if something makes you look bigger but if you can’t move in it, that’s not going to be very helpful. Make sure you get something that you can move in.

For me, i can't try on anything, only some gear to get a feeling of sizing because i live in Australia. Also most chesties i have tried on are ok, and i heard the axis is pretty good at that how ever you look at it. But thanks.

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

First thing we need to know is what your access is to being able to try on C/A's.

Second is we'd need to understand what you have used and what you like and didn't like about it.

Sidebit: I've heard parroted from a few sales guys that the Premier/Axis C/A's are better suited for guys with very broad shoulders and there's a trend of guys not meeting that criteria forcing themselves into these C/A's solely because they like how big it is. Even to their own detriment.

You do make a good point, The broad shoulders thing is a thing i considered, But is play U15 and U18, and they shoot higher, so i need and chestie that fit my standers and also the shooters standers to. (as is size wise)

But thanks

Edited by Windmill save

38 minutes ago, Windmill save said:

A lot of players in U18 in aus shoot HIGH, and i have a tendency to overshoot just a bit, so i need a chesite that fits that. And the ccm axis does. But i will take your opinions into action.

Everyone shoots high, that's just what happens as you go up the skill ladder.

Keep in mind, the Axis chest is one of the bulkier/stiffer ones on the market. It's going to be a massive change in what you're currently wearing.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Keep in mind, the Axis chest is one of the bulkier/stiffer ones on the market. It's going to be a massive change in what you're currently wearing.

I guess that is true, but I need all the help I can get

18 minutes ago, Windmill save said:

I guess that is true, but I need all the help I can get

I do think you're overthinking whatever advantage that extra bulk will give you. Note, I'm not trying to say that your choice on this is incorrect, but I feel like you may be bit misguided. Especially with your love for all things CCM/True.

I'll give you an example, I'm not a very big guy, 5'9" or so. I've experimented with going the bulkier/tankier route before and I found that it actually made me worse. I found that I had lost some of my speed, I felt far more robotic in my movements, and it made me feel like I was fighting my gear.

I stick to the more flexible C/A's now as I value that freedom of movement over whatever minor incremental advantage a bulkier C/A would provide.

Everyone is different and the Axis may be exactly what you're after, however, bigger isn't always better, especially as the game gets faster.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I do think you're overthinking whatever advantage that extra bulk will give you. Note, I'm not trying to say that your choice on this is incorrect, but I feel like you may be bit misguided. Especially with your love for all things CCM/True.

I'll give you an example, I'm not a very big guy, 5'9" or so. I've experimented with going the bulkier/tankier route before and I found that it actually made me worse. I found that I had lost some of my speed, I felt far more robotic in my movements, and it made me feel like I was fighting my gear.

I stick to the more flexible C/A's now as I value that freedom of movement over whatever minor incremental advantage a bulkier C/A would provide.

Everyone is different and the Axis may be exactly what you're after, however, bigger isn't always better, especially as the game gets faster.

Thanks, I do like ccm/true but i am open to options tho. The axis wasn't my first choice, the bauer elite was, but i tried it on and it was a bit heavy for my liking, so i wanted to give ccm a try. Bc i have used bauer, vaughn, McKenny and reebok, never used ccm, just wanted to give it a try. I did wanted to try the eflex 5.9, but it looked like my current chestie, (see in profile) and it was small on my shoulders. I was getting scored on top shelf a lot, so i thought that ccm axis was the way to go. I did try the premier 1 and 2.9, and it liked it. Never used it in game. The ccm axis looked similar, but just some upgrades.

@Windmill save I'm gonna go with many points Coop brought up. Playing big and square totally based on your gear can be somewhat counter productive in a way. Based on your pic, you don't look very tall (yet) and you have a very low stance. in your case, focusing on angles and depth could be your best tool in your learning curve to help cut down on those top corners. And do not neglect your skating abilities as getting to the spot before the shot is released will be greatly to your advantage as well.

Look at Sarro with the Preds. He's currently the shortest goalie in the show and has developed those exact same skills I mentioned above to make him one of the best in the league of giants. You could learn quite a bit by studying his games.

You mentioned Mckenney. Their shoulder width tend to be on the wide side, without exaggerating. That being said, proper sizing is highly important as to not hinder movement or mask mobility that can screw up your side vision on backdoor plays.

35 minutes ago, RichMan said:

@Windmill save I'm gonna go with many points Coop brought up. Playing big and square totally based on your gear can be somewhat counter productive in a way. Based on your pic, you don't look very tall (yet) and you have a very low stance. in your case, focusing on angles and depth could be your best tool in your learning curve to help cut down on those top corners. And do not neglect your skating abilities as getting to the spot before the shot is released will be greatly to your advantage as well.

Look at Sarro with the Preds. He's currently the shortest goalie in the show and has developed those exact same skills I mentioned above to make him one of the best in the league of giants. You could learn quite a bit by studying his games.

You mentioned Mckenney. Their shoulder width tend to be on the wide side, without exaggerating. That being said, proper sizing is highly important as to not hinder movement or mask mobility that can screw up your side vision on backdoor plays.

That is a good point. I get what you are saying. The Mckenny C&A is a older version. So the shoulder floater are small.  Sarro is, yes, one of the best goalies in the league right now. But for my age, i am pretty tall. I am still considering what chestie to use, it is just that ccm is on top of my list. It is not that i can't afford pro gear, or better gear, it is just that my price range is low. I chose ccm because i have tried on the ccm premier 1 and 2.9 off ice. I liked it BUT it was big for me in waist wise because it was a large and i was only 11. The shoulders are moveable and adjustable. So i can get the large appearance and still have the same mobility in my head. I also don't tuck, so it have a bit more movement in my mind. Don't know if that is true. I have good foot work for my age, so my skating abilities is ok. Like i said, i tend to over shoot a bit, so the axis was/looked the best for me. 

Edited by Windmill save

3 hours ago, Windmill save said:

Thanks, I do like ccm/true but i am open to options tho. The axis wasn't my first choice, the bauer elite was, but i tried it on and it was a bit heavy for my liking, so i wanted to give ccm a try. Bc i have used bauer, vaughn, McKenny and reebok, never used ccm, just wanted to give it a try. I did wanted to try the eflex 5.9, but it looked like my current chestie, (see in profile) and it was small on my shoulders. I was getting scored on top shelf a lot, so i thought that ccm axis was the way to go. I did try the premier 1 and 2.9, and it liked it. Never used it in game. The ccm axis looked similar, but just some upgrades.

Not to sound mean or anything, but getting scored on top shelf is not really a matter of gear. Guys shoot high regardless of what they see because they know goalies go down way too often. It’s usually pretty obvious when goals are going in specifically because of gear like over rotation of pads, holes in gloves (I have lots of experience with this😂) etc. Just make sure you look at goals from all angles so you can help yourself improve at the position and not needlessly spend any money on more gear.

My take on this is that the bulkier square shape chesty has helped my game more. Could I move quicker in a smaller chesty, probably but the CCM Premier has helped my gane with being able to move the floaters. I don't think the Axis is as big, but as you stated... shots up high now are saved due to my chesty.  I still move pretty well in it because I'm used to it and in pretty good shape. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

My take on this is that the bulkier square shape chesty has helped my game more. Could I move quicker in a smaller chesty, probably but the CCM Premier has helped my gane with being able to move the floaters. I don't think the Axis is as big, but as you stated... shots up high now are saved due to my chesty.  I still move pretty well in it because I'm used to it and in pretty good shape. 

You calling me fat?

Them's fighting words

RichMan and Coop gave you the best advice here. Don't try to forced yourself into bigger C/A just because you are light up over shoulders way to often. I'm with Coop on 5'9 and had same problem in the past you're facing now. Try to challenge the shooter more, keep top of the crease or even foot higher if there's no back door threat and you will find you will block more shots.

As for C/A I use 2X Pro as mobility is great in it - from the pictures Hiperlite looks a little bit bigger in the shoulders so that could be your choice. Other options are Warriors' chesties - they have opinion on being super adjustable, mobile and big.

36 minutes ago, Nohtaram said:

RichMan and Coop gave you the best advice here. Don't try to forced yourself into bigger C/A just because you are light up over shoulders way to often. I'm with Coop on 5'9 and had same problem in the past you're facing now. Try to challenge the shooter more, keep top of the crease or even foot higher if there's no back door threat and you will find you will block more shots.

As for C/A I use 2X Pro as mobility is great in it - from the pictures Hiperlite looks a little bit bigger in the shoulders so that could be your choice. Other options are Warriors' chesties - they have opinion on being super adjustable, mobile and big.

On 11/24/2021 at 12:51 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Not to sound mean or anything, but getting scored on top shelf is not really a matter of gear. Guys shoot high regardless of what they see because they know goalies go down way too often. It’s usually pretty obvious when goals are going in specifically because of gear like over rotation of pads, holes in gloves (I have lots of experience with this😂) etc. Just make sure you look at goals from all angles so you can help yourself improve at the position and not needlessly spend any money on more gear.

On 11/24/2021 at 10:22 AM, RichMan said:

On 11/24/2021 at 8:56 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

On 11/24/2021 at 8:25 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

On 11/24/2021 at 7:33 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

I don't understand what you mean by this?

On 11/24/2021 at 2:16 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

On 11/24/2021 at 2:01 AM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Get to a store and try one on. Then you don’t have to worry about ordering the wrong size or any other potential issues like that. Also have to think about this: great if something makes you look bigger but if you can’t move in it, that’s not going to be very helpful. Make sure you get something that you can move in.

So the ccm axis C&A isn't a good fit for someone like me, and I should go for a more mobile chestie. IF that is so, what would you recomend. Bc i need the protection too.

5 hours ago, Windmill save said:

So the ccm axis C&A isn't a good fit for someone like me, and I should go for a more mobile chestie. IF that is so, what would you recomend. Bc i need the protection too.

So it's not so much that's it's necessarily a poor fit for you, it's just that we want to ensure you're buying the correct chest protector for yourself and we're mostly trying to guide you to explore more options.

Worst thing in the world is trying to force the wrong C/A while playing. I'd say it's one of the most important piece of gear to 'feel right'.

If it doesn't move well with you, you don't feel protected enough, or even if it's too big/small, all of these are factors that could make this a regrettable purchase.

I've gone through more C/A's than anything trying to find my 'Goldilocks'.

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I am a fan of the Vapor 1X with the exception of the bouncy house rebounds from the floaters. It has had the same protection since day 1 with great mobility from day 1. I never had to break it in and played with it half hour after purchase!

That is the description of a perfect fit. Most of the C/A are really flexible when you try the sleeves etc. But the story changes when you put it on and the flex points don't match your body, or the other way. 

With my FrankenCCM I made a lot of testing and modding and from really awkward C/A I made a tailor made piece for my measurements. And it really is flexible and protective now, the flexibility was badly missing before the project.

So fitting the C/A right is the key to success. This really is becoming a sort science and it actually is except atleast I don't have any formulas to calculate anything. 😅

3 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

That is the description of a perfect fit. Most of the C/A are really flexible when you try the sleeves etc. But the story changes when you put it on and the flex points don't match your body, or the other way. 

With my FrankenCCM I made a lot of testing and modding and from really awkward C/A I made a tailor made piece for my measurements. And it really is flexible and protective now, the flexibility was badly missing before the project.

So fitting the C/A right is the key to success. This really is becoming a sort science and it actually is except atleast I don't have any formulas to calculate anything. 😅

John Brown has had formulae for CA fitting for a long time! 

Seriously, though- There are enough “grey” areas for fitting CAs. Most stock CA’s fir in very broad ways. Occasionally, stock ones will fit a few people perfectly!

• 1 year later...

I have used the CCM Axis 1.9 for a season now and am mostly very satisfied. Have only had mild stingers in the upper arms and abdomen, in training with teams in the third highest division in Norway. Good mobility and light weight. the only downside is that the chest pads build too much over the shoulders and make it more difficult to turn the head. The cardboard band in the sides gets bad quickly and comes off easily.