Upsides of smaller kneepads?

indykrap

Hey all,

Been using the Warrior X2 Pro+ knee pads for a while, and I've been thinking of making a switch to something a bit more streamlined. I got the included Warrior kneepads with my G5 Sr+, so I'm going to give those a try tomorrow to see how it feels. I'm not facing super hard shots so I don't think protection will be too much of an issue.

Just curious what people have experienced with making the switch to bigger or smaller kneepads in terms of feel. Looking forward to testing it for myself!

I find the more "streamlined" knee pads let me feel more connected to the pad, and easier to squeeze the pads together on the weird angle shots and skate around in general. But I think that a lot of people's preference can come from how you strap your pads - the bigger knee pads will probably work better when you strap the knee elastic down to the calf, leaving the outside of the knee area open. If you use a wide knee pad and strap around the knee, you might end up hindering rotation (or need to use a longer elastic to not interfere).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, indykrap said:

Hey all,

Been using the Warrior X2 Pro+ knee pads for a while, and I've been thinking of making a switch to something a bit more streamlined. I got the included Warrior kneepads with my G5 Sr+, so I'm going to give those a try tomorrow to see how it feels. I'm not facing super hard shots so I don't think protection will be too much of an issue.

Just curious what people have experienced with making the switch to bigger or smaller kneepads in terms of feel. Looking forward to testing it for myself!

Are the X2's and included knee pads any different in size? I thought they were identical.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Are the X2's and included knee pads any different in size? I thought they were identical.

These are the Pro+, so a little bigger. I think you're right that the Pro were about the same size as the included ones.

1CFCDB8F-1326-4745-ADAC-A4D4FA3B3905.jpeg

Edited by indykrap
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Teezle said:

I find the more "streamlined" knee pads let me feel more connected to the pad, and easier to squeeze the pads together on the weird angle shots and skate around in general. But I think that a lot of people's preference can come from how you strap your pads - the bigger knee pads will probably work better when you strap the knee elastic down to the calf, leaving the outside of the knee area open. If you use a wide knee pad and strap around the knee, you might end up hindering rotation (or need to use a longer elastic to not interfere).

I do go down to the calf and it's a pretty open knee channel like that, so that hasn't been too much of a problem I think. I am interested in whether I can pull the knees closer together though. My butterfly is pretty rough so a little extra room to do that would be good (vs. knee pads coming together but not knee blocks)

Tried it last night, and it was pretty okay. Not a noticeable difference in movement, though I did notice some issues with coverage - bit of an opening where the kneepad covers would normally meet. Also took a shot off the inner thigh which hurt like hell. Not as much coverage with these ones, but more likely just a very unlucky shot snuck through.

I'll go back to my old ones on Sunday. Had good results with tightening my G5s (which I normally wear super loose), so I'm hoping I can still do that with the bigger kneepads.

Thanks for the advice all!

My game is based all around speed and mobility. I should probably be in a senior knee guard but I’m wearing either juniors or intermediates (the tags are worn off) and they rotate great and provide the bit of padding I need if I get in an awkward position. Tbh I have no clue how anyone can move in those massive sets of knee pads

• Like 2

For me, I went the other way. I used the Warrior Ritual RX3E+ knee pads and found that my knees were always bruised down to what felt like the bone. I bought CCM KP 1.9 pads and liked them, but the odd knee cup was a bit too bulky. I bought CCM KP Pro knee pads and found my ideal knee protection. They are bigger in the thigh, but with my SLR2 Pro pads, the knee protectors feel perfect.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As an update to this - I've been trying the smaller knee pads on occasion and have noticed a pretty substantial improvement in movement comfort and rotation. Thinking it will become the regular for now with the Pro+ big fellas as backup. 

I did take a shot off the inside thigh somehow which left a really nasty bruise, but now that i've gotten used to these and do the sock trick from Hockey Reviews (with pants that velcro onto socks) they stay up and in place better. No concerns with protection or coverage, and the landing on these is nice and comfortable. Taking some getting used to doing the pads up a bit tighter though, as I wore my G3s very, very loose and the G5s are very different and rotate way better.

All in all - a learning process, but a noticeable change for sure!

• Like 1