Vaughn XFP?

johncho

Hey fellas,

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the Vaughn Chest XFPs, I can't seem to find much info about it, I've emailed Vaughn, but no answers yet.

What I found was that it's a Pure Goalie SMU most probably (https://goalie.purehockey.com/product/vaughn-velocity-v9-xfp-goalie-chest-protector-senior/itm/42344-41/), but not sure where it lands, if it's XFP -> Pro -> Pro Carbon, or Pro -> XFP -> Pro Carbon

Just Beer League, but some of the guys have played pretty high level.

I'm currently looking for something that fits me better than my current Passau's, I saw a V8Pro for sale that is within my budget, but also saw a V9 XFP and got curious.

Where is it soft on the arms? Would it be easy to just add some material?

Edited by johncho

I've been rocking a VE8 Pro chestie for quite awhile and plenty of the dudes I play against can rip, but overall I find the level of protection to be adequate.  I have really only one complaint with regard to protection and that's right on the front of the shoulders.  It's not every time by any means, but I've had 2 or 3 really hard shots I can remember feeling like they somehow split the between the floater & cap there and ended up with some pretty nice bruises.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, johncho said:

Just Beer League, but some of the guys have played pretty high level.

I'm currently looking for something that fits me better than my current Passau's, I saw a V8Pro for sale that is within my budget, but also saw a V9 XFP and got curious.

Where is it soft on the arms? Would it be easy to just add some material?

Beer league can be guys who can hardly stand on skates or a bunch of former WHL players.....just a head's up on that.  We have 8 divisions, each with 3 sub-divisions in our league, which is all Beer :)

I've used Vaughn chesties my whole life.  The soft arms are typically in the bicep and sometimes on the lower forearm.  Bicep is the the longest running issue though.  I currently wear a V9 pro carbon with the Vaughn padded shirt and a Verbero padded collar underneath.  With the shirt I removed most of the padding and only use the bicep pads.  Have not felt a single stinger yet with this setup.

I play in 4b Beer, by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Beer league can be guys who can hardly stand on skates or a bunch of former WHL players

Believe it or not, that kinda is the make up of the groups that I play with, from a few older ex-Q/OHL/Junior/Juvie guys on the high end (taking it easy), to guys who've pretty much just started a few years back (some still with a good shot having played ball hockey all their life). I guess I should have said private pick up to be more accurate haha.  

I've worn only Passau's in the past, and I've only felt one stinger ever, and it was up between my armpit and shoulder. To this day I still can't understand how it got through (no bruise though). But it is way bulky and I'm having trouble moving in it, my mask keeps interfering when I turn my head and I also think it was made for a bigger guy so the belly never feels secure even though it may be.

I'm pretty interested in the Padded shirt now that you mention it, and there's also a good mod shop that I think I can get to beef up the two areas that you guys have mentioned. I think I will go with the VE8 Pro and the Padded shirt and then go from there.

27 minutes ago, johncho said:

Believe it or not, that kinda is the make up of the groups that I play with, from a few older ex-Q/OHL/Junior/Juvie guys on the high end (taking it easy), to guys who've pretty much just started a few years back (some still with a good shot having played ball hockey all their life). I guess I should have said private pick up to be more accurate haha.  

I've worn only Passau's in the past, and I've only felt one stinger ever, and it was up between my armpit and shoulder. To this day I still can't understand how it got through (no bruise though). But it is way bulky and I'm having trouble moving in it, my mask keeps interfering when I turn my head and I also think it was made for a bigger guy so the belly never feels secure even though it may be.

I'm pretty interested in the Padded shirt now that you mention it, and there's also a good mod shop that I think I can get to beef up the two areas that you guys have mentioned. I think I will go with the VE8 Pro and the Padded shirt and then go from there.

I run into former WHL guys here and there.  Pretty crazy how fast they are and how hard they can shoot.

There's a Padded Shirt thread on here you can find.   There are 2 Vaughn ones, the Velocity and SLR.  I have the Velocity one which has an open mesh on the back which is really nice for cooling and ventilation.  You can use pads on the forearms, biceps, shoulders, chest, sternum, and ribs.   I only use the biceps though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So a few things since:

It is from what I understand XFP -> Pro -> Pro Carbon. And XFP would not have been enough for my level of play

- I've been able to get a used VE8 Pro, and it fits me much better than my Passau, and I feel much more mobile and able to see around much better

- I am looking into a padded shirt, but I will try a game in the new year first without one to see. I also have close access to a shop that could stitch on some extra padding if I feel the need.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

UPDATE

With an average of 1 arm bruise per game, it looks like I may need to upgrade my chest protector. Lower-mid level it's fine, but I've been facing some higher level players lately.

I will miss how light and mobile this one is. 

I hate the arms all together actually, but I do have a good pro-mod shop around.

I was going to sell my Passau's which are too big, but maybe I can sacrifice it? I dunno I will have to think about that one. The arms on the Passau fits me well, and it's a tank.

But it might be just easier to sell both and buy one good one. I'm torn.

Edited by johncho

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/10/2022 at 9:08 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

:cough: Buy a Brown :cough: 

Since you have a good mod shop locally, have you thought about swapping the Passau arms onto the Vaughn chest?

I've thought of that actually, the Passaus use those strings, so all I would need is to get the Vaughn's chopped off and then have holes sewn in.

But I dunno, I'm mulling over a few options. What I might do first is to bring my Passau to the Pro Shop and see if they can cinch down any areas or if there something that could be done. I think height wise it's fine, but the previous guy had a pretty big belly so there's a lot that needs to be taken in (I think he had about 50lbs+ on me). I know from previous experience that ill-fitting items feel a lot heavier on your body, if things are distributed properly I shouldn't feel much weight. The shoulder wings on the Passau interferes a bit but I think I can fix that too maybe.

Edited by johncho
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

You don't need to sew to update the sleeves. I got a couple of Jimmy Howards velos, both legal, and extra padding is added with four holes and cord. Tie in hard foam. For the uppers you can a lower part of the player shoulder pads, one with a velcro attachment and put that under the shoulder with a single wide loop. Cheap, protective but will add an extra velcro to deal with in the bicep area. My biggest problem with XFP is that the fit does not feel like a true Velo (turtle) or an Epic/Ventus (box with sides). Let me know if you need pics of the Howard mods for the lower arm or shoulders for upper. Also, it is legal if you get your gear check. Only adds to the bicep guard area. Stay safe.