Baking Used Skates

Wonder35

I have recently acquired a pair of used Graf Goaler Pros. Yeah, the Old Guy is going without cowlings!

When I had them sharpened one of the skate guys asked if I was having them baked. His co-worker said that this model  wasn't a candidate.  Mine are the model with chrome logos one the outside of the boot, a few years old.

What do the Goalie Network Experts say?

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm no expert on Graf skates, but aren't the Goaler Pros a cowling skate?

https://scoffshockey.ca/products/grafgoalerpro750skate-senior

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313141624510

I can see the Peakspeed and ProG are the cowlingless skates?

Yes, I neglected to mention that mine have Bauer Vertex 2.0 blades. Mea Culpa.

They are an updated model from the links you posted. The newer ones, like mine, have a chrome logo on the outside ankle area, less leather and more synthetic material.

Edited by Wonder35

8 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Yes, I neglected to mention that mine have Bauer Vertex 2.0 blades. Mea Culpa.

They are an updated model from the links you posted. The newer ones, like mine, have a chrome logo on the outside ankle area, less leather and more synthetic material.

So are they a cowling skate that's had the cowling removed and had the vertexx holder attached?

46 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So are they a cowling skate that's had the cowling removed and had the vertexx holder attached?

That is correct. I also have the original Graf cowlings for these updated skates which can be used for my 20 year old leather Grafs.

I want to try these newly acquired ones to try out no cowling skates.

I simply wondered whether or not they will take a baking process.

Edited by Wonder35

3 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

That is correct. I also have the original Graf cowlings for these updated skates which can be used for my 20 year old leather Grafs.

I want to try these newly acquired ones to try out no cowling skates.

I simply wondered whether or not they will take a baking process.

4 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

I have recently acquired a pair of used Graf Goaler Pros. Yeah, the Old Guy is going without cowlings!

When I had them sharpened one of the skate guys asked if I was having them baked. His co-worker said that this model  wasn't a candidate.  Mine are the model with chrome logos one the outside of the boot, a few years old.

9 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

Crickets ...............

Baking is fine on any Graf skate.

Need to verify which skate you have.  DM1080 is the pro level skate that matches your description, but even this model is not recommended with a holder.  Protection level and support gets even dicier if you have the senior or entry level models.

IIRC @SaveByRichter35 went on a journey for new skates last year, ended up with a G7500 and a CCM holder?  He contacted Graf, who told him the G7500 was the only model up to that point that could take a holder.  DM1080 still needs cowling.  Maybe he can jump in here and confirm

G7500
image.png.6e2f760620604a5f85c89a0ed959c1b9.png

DM1080

image.png.40813c37c79728b5e02a3f476d4df619.png

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

These are my skates. I am OK with this holder. My team is 70+, no slapshots. I want to know if this boot can be baked to get a snug fit. Thank you.

8 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

Those are Bauer cowlings, not sure why you initially posted you were going without cowlings.

Boot is a G750.  Design is about 20 years old, probably older than some guys at your skate shop... but as I said before you are fine to bake. 

I am still learning the vernacular. The Bauer holder currently on my "new" Grafs is without any inside cowling. Does this absence not qualify as without cowlings?

I have been wearing my 20 year old Grafs since new, only skates I possess. Until now. I don't know what year my new Grafs were made. But I do know they are a significant upgrade to my leather Grafs.

Many thanks to those who posted or PM'd me. I learned quite a bit about more modern skates. And I am comfortable in my choice of skates. Tomorrow they bake and Monday they play hockey.

Happy New Year to the girls and boys, goaltenders all.

Steve Berry 

1 hour ago, Wonder35 said:

I am still learning the vernacular. The Bauer holder currently on my "new" Grafs is without any inside cowling. Does this absence not qualify as without cowlings?

I have been wearing my 20 year old Grafs since new, only skates I possess. Until now. I don't know what year my new Grafs were made. But I do know they are a significant upgrade to my leather Grafs.

Many thanks to those who posted or PM'd me. I learned quite a bit about more modern skates. And I am comfortable in my choice of skates. Tomorrow they bake and Monday they play hockey.

Happy New Year to the girls and boys, goaltenders all.

Steve Berry 

No, your skates have a cowling wrapping around the toe cap and outsole. 

I don't know if you're still making kick saves, but the Graf cowlings originally designed for those skates had plastic supporting the instep.  I'd be cautious as those boots may not be able to support/protect that area of your foot in case of a hard shot.

For reference, this is a new style goalie skate without cowling.  Notice the shift towards a player-style holder, eliminating excess plastic at the toe and around the ball of the foot.  These holders also sit a little higher to allow goalies who play a lot of butterfly the ability to grab an edge a bit quicker than if they were on a cowling.

image.png.037607c990df071ea9ab95a2ad588f9f.png

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 5:26 PM, Chenner29 said:

Baking is fine on any Graf skate.

Need to verify which skate you have.  DM1080 is the pro level skate that matches your description, but even this model is not recommended with a holder.  Protection level and support gets even dicier if you have the senior or entry level models.

IIRC @SaveByRichter35 went on a journey for new skates last year, ended up with a G7500 and a CCM holder?  He contacted Graf, who told him the G7500 was the only model up to that point that could take a holder.  DM1080 still needs cowling.  Maybe he can jump in here and confirm

G7500
image.png.6e2f760620604a5f85c89a0ed959c1b9.png

DM1080

image.png.40813c37c79728b5e02a3f476d4df619.png

DM1080 can be worn sans cowling.  Its a composite boot with the same thick toe cap as every other Graf skate.  DM1080 is more up to date then the 7500 which also can be worn sans cowling.  I ended up with a Graf 9035 boot with CCM XSG holder.  Loving it so far.

@Wonder35 unfortunately I have no idea if those Goaler Pro's are ok with baking but I would have no problem taking @Chenner29's word that you can.

20 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

DM1080 can be worn sans cowling.  Its a composite boot with the same thick toe cap as every other Graf skate.  DM1080 is more up to date then the 7500 which also can be worn sans cowling.  I ended up with a Graf 9035 boot with CCM XSG holder.  Loving it so far.

@Wonder35 unfortunately I have no idea if those Goaler Pro's are ok with baking but I would have no problem taking @Chenner29's word that you can.

I have taken BOMBS to my 1080 boots with nothing so much as a stinger. Great boot. I am now a member of the cowling-free club.

I played today with my newer Grafs. They were very comfortable. Similar to my 20+ year old Grafs, I could feel a touch of abrasion from my ankle bone rubbing against the boot. I will cut a thin strip of 1/4" foam and attach it to the inside area of the 2 top eyelets, punch a couple of holes to allow the skate lace to pass through and Bob's your uncle.

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions and critiques. Both were appreciated. I wear these skates with the Bauer cowling. I recall getting my first pair of CCM Tack goal skates in the 60's. The cowlings consisted of a massive slab of black leather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

I played today with my newer Grafs. They were very comfortable. Similar to my 20+ year old Grafs, I could feel a touch of abrasion from my ankle bone rubbing against the boot. I will cut a thin strip of 1/4" foam and attach it to the inside area of the 2 top eyelets, punch a couple of holes to allow the skate lace to pass through and Bob's your uncle.

Again, thanks to all for your suggestions and critiques. Both were appreciated. I wear these skates with the Bauer cowling. I recall getting my first pair of CCM Tack goal skates in the 60's. The cowlings consisted of a massive slab of black leather.

Why add more material when there's a contact point like that?

Have your skate/hockey shop guys heat and punch the boot in the affected ankle area

You'll get more room there which is what you want IMO

23 minutes ago, Wonder35 said:

And Bob’s your Uncle! 😁