Reebok Premier 1 C/A Feedback

Chenner29

Good morning, folks!

I wanted to reach out to the community for some feedback as I'm working on a special gear-related project that is separate from my Maltese product rep role.

I have some dialogue going with a manufacturer about possibly putting an upgraded version of the original "unicorn" back into production on a custom order basis. 
It's still a pretty popular model in the pro ranks (Rask, Fleury, and possibly Luongo are still using it) and the guys I'm talking to say they get plenty of requests for the unit. 

It's possible that this will be a product offered with custom sizing and specs, but I wanted to poll the community and identify common issues with the retail versions.

Here are some common user issues that I have so far:

• soft belly
  • elastic quality on the backplate and back of arms
  • collar/clav protection sits too low
  • poor arm/elbow flexion
  • forearm protection
  • backplate design

For those that used it, what did you like and dislike about it?

I'm also looking for sizing on the arms.  If anyone has a senior Small, Medium, or XL I'd love to borrow a couple minutes of your time to measure some parts out.

Thanks for your help, this should be an exciting gig!

Congrats on this project @Chenner29 - I love projects!!!

Flower only uses the arms now and is in D30 Premier body. Khodobin in also in the CCM branded OG P1

From your list above, elastic quality was my main issue. I had most straps replaced over time. The floaters and chest really got really lose / broke down. That was a direct reason for some of my mods below. 

Not on list above:

• Adjustable floaters are common place now and that design did not have them - Steal velcro design from CCM D30 Premier. 
  • Something to cover the back plate strap buckles would also be a subtle improvement 
  • I wore a 590 forever, nearly the same, and the chest area got loose over time. I added a 3rd strap across the back around the arm pits to hold the chest in place and get rid of the "boob" effect 
  • I added Mrazek straps to mine again. This ties into the unit loosening up over time and needing to be structuralized again
  • Elastic wrist straps are a bad design! I had mine changed to nylon, which is a standard Vaughn item 
  • weight reduction 
  • removable washable lining - My 590 took like 3 days to dry 

On 2/10/2018 at 2:48 PM, TheGoalNet said:

Looking at some pics recently, I realized the P1 seems like a progression of the H5

never made that association before 

I had an old h5 (the one with shoulder foils) and picked up a p1 and I thought the same.  Sold the p1 but I miss it.  I had a few of these issues that you both mentioned.

One thing i loved most was the elbow cups, and how well it padded my ribs without sacrificing mobility. another strong point for me was the breaks in the floaters. I want something more contoured and body shaped than gigantic. my XL Passau is HUGE under jerseys with the straight up and down floaters and triple shoulder cups.

1 hour ago, Urabus33 said:

One thing i loved most was the elbow cups, and how well it padded my ribs without sacrificing mobility. another strong point for me was the breaks in the floaters. I want something more contoured and body shaped than gigantic. my XL Passau is HUGE under jerseys with the straight up and down floaters and triple shoulder cups.

Thanks for the feedback. As @TheGoalNet suggested,  I am looking to see if we can do a double velcro adjustment like the current Premier has.  One set of velcro to adjust chest height, another to tape down the shoulders.  I like a contoured fit and not the Garth Snow fit over the shoulders.

I had that exact H5 linked above. I loved how simple and streamed line it was. Light and mobile, very protective arms and wings. The abdomen was thin though and it lacked in rib protection. Could of used a little more padding on the shoulders too, just an extra LD foam pad. I'd love to get it again but would want to try an XL to see.

Was always curious about the P1 but they seemed oversized and were expensive.

7 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

Yes, the height of the rib protection is key. Brian’s is the only other company that does this well. My Vaughn just never quite feels right in that area 

Hope to see it.

Since I've had one, I will also chime in -

belly protection was short, and HORRIBLE. The little lower ab flap was useless. 

Arms run very long and don't flex well.

Back plate straps are way too busy. Need to be simplified.

Hangs way too low. But if placed high, belly's too short.

(They can add the removable side rib padding like the new Eflex 2 C/a. Maybe do a simmons like belly pad insert)

3 hours ago, ruckus007 said:

Hope to see it.

Since I've had one, I will also chime in -

belly protection was short, and HORRIBLE. The little lower ab flap was useless. 

Arms run very long and don't flex well.

Back plate straps are way too busy. Need to be simplified.

Hangs way too low. But if placed high, belly's too short.

(They can add the removable side rib padding like the new Eflex 2 C/a. Maybe do a simmons like belly pad insert)

For anyone else that's following this thread...

I've made requests on my unit to have all these issues fixed.

Not sure when it'll be done

20 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

@TGC-Rance - any feedback on this? 

I think doing it on a built to order option would be best.

I remember when people would over pay for a one95 or a pro return model and then when the NXG came out it was relatively flat for what was there. We saw similar things with exclusive P1's we had when it was no longer available. However if it is pro return people will shell out whatever it takes to get it.

Funny thing about pro return is usually pads and gloves are cheaper than retail and the chests are more.

We actually did a beefed up version of the current CCM Premier which is insane and is a true NHL quality build.

With regards to the specs the P1 is what it is in my opinion. I wouldn't toy too much or else you get too far away from what the chest is supposed to be. A belly beef up would be a good option and somehow more flexible arms but without giving up too much protection.

I am a big fan of the current premier. Considering how big and how much protection is in it I still find it quite mobile.

19 hours ago, Urabus33 said:

By chance, does anyone have a size large P1 they'd want to move? having trouble finding one thats A. reasonably priced and B. not detroyed

I have a large CCM AB pro stock chest protector (NWT) that I have not yet decided whether to keep or move. I recently bought it on eBay for $300 plus shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CCM-AB-Pro-Stock-chest-arm-protector-size-Sr-large-senior-ice-hockey-goalie/142604563551?epid=21010534916&hash=item2133e4f45f:g:mvYAAOSwzRlaHckg

On 2/27/2018 at 8:56 PM, BauerHockey47 said:

I have a large CCM AB pro stock chest protector (NWT) that I have not yet decided whether to keep or move. I recently bought it on eBay for $300 plus shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-CCM-AB-Pro-Stock-chest-arm-protector-size-Sr-large-senior-ice-hockey-goalie/142604563551?epid=21010534916&hash=item2133e4f45f:g:mvYAAOSwzRlaHckg

Would be perfect, little rich for me though. Will keep it in mind.

13 minutes ago, BauerHockey47 said:

Understood. Though I would argue that it's much cheaper than most top-of-the-line chest protectors these days, which run for $500 plus.

Oh absolutely don't get me wrong not price bashing by any means. But i just dropped 500+ on car repairs and down payment for a tournament so moneys tight. If it was $200 i'd have hit buy it now! haha

• 9 months later...

I got me this TGC baby just a week ago and received it Thursday. It's used, has a bit of damage but nothing that can't be patched or shoe-goo'ed.

It's a large and definitely an evolution of the H5. I like how the shoulder floaters fall to the body as opposed to my Mckenney 870 that sits high and a bit too boxy for my taste. There's a real upgrade in the arms, really thick there. Fairly light and mobile, somewhat comfy for an old stiff unit. It will need a Hockey Wash visit before it sees the ice.

I understand the low collar they are known for. My H5 was similar. It doesn't show much in a crouch but I'll have to watch out when in my b-fly. Thankfully I wear a Maltese.

Looking forward to testing it in the new year.

s-l1600.jpg

4 hours ago, RichMan said:

I got me this TGC baby just a week ago and received it Thursday. It's used, has a bit of damage but nothing that can't be patched or shoe-goo'ed.

It's a large and definitely an evolution of the H5. I like how the shoulder floaters fall to the body as opposed to my Mckenney 870 that sits high and a bit too boxy for my taste. There's a real upgrade in the arms, really thick there. Fairly light and mobile, somewhat comfy for an old stiff unit. It will need a Hockey Wash visit before it sees the ice.

I understand the low collar they are known for. My H5 was similar. It doesn't show much in a crouch but I'll have to watch out when in my b-fly. Thankfully I wear a Maltese.

Looking forward to testing it in the new year.

s-l1600.jpg

Great looking C/A. Congrats!

Archived