Knee Pads? PAW vs Maltese

kerouacknew

Looking for a new pair of knee pads. My Bauer Supremes are just too bulky and they hurt my knees when i go down on them.

I was going to purchase the Maltese ones until i found out they were almost $300 here in Canada with the taxes and shipping.

Looking at the PAW ones now at under $200.

Looking for low profile and good cushioning.

Thought?? Open to suggestions. Thanks.

I used to wear the first generation Bauer Supremes as well and recently purchased a set of Brown 2400 Knee pads. The Brown's have foam knee landing pad that provide more cushion that than the Supremes. They are also less bulkier than the Supremes as well. The only negative is that they don't have the bottom 'keeper' strap like the Supremes so they may not stay in place as well.

4 hours ago, kerouacknew said:

Looking for a new pair of knee pads. My Bauer Supremes are just too bulky and they hurt my knees when i go down on them.

I was going to purchase the Maltese ones until i found out they were almost $300 here in Canada with the taxes and shipping.

I was a knee pad hater. I refused to wear them for ever and recently caved. The stock ones from Optik are perfect for someone like your self. 

They are light and very minimal. They’re also considerably less than either model your looking at. 

The nice thing about Maltese is that they have a try it before you buy it program. If your concerned on the cost, you could demo them and decide if they are worth the investment 

5 hours ago, kerouacknew said:

I've had the opportunity to check out the PAW knee pads.  Sara makes a fantastic product and you can't go wrong with either option.

Our knee pads are going to be the best option if you are after something low profile.  It's as close as you can get to the no knee pad feeling on the market.
They are designed to be worn under the compression pant as a second skin so you can really feel your leg pads on your knee.

The biggest difference you are going to get in that $100 difference is the internal materials and warranty.  I'm not familiar with PAW's warranty but here is ours:

• 5 years warranty on internal product failure
  • gel does not compress or diminish over time
1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I was a knee pad hater. I refused to wear them for ever and recently caved. The stock ones from Optik are perfect for someone like your self. 

They are light and very minimal. They’re also considerably less than either model your looking at. 

The nice thing about Maltese is that they have a try it before you buy it program. If your concerned on the cost, you could demo them and decide if they are worth the investment 

The demo program is open in Canada for collars only.  I haven't heard if we are doing knee pads up north yet.

I've used Maltese knee pads before. They are a well made pad. Not to mention that the morning after using them my kips and knees felt like I didn't even play.

Usually, with my other knee pads, I have to hit the bottle in the morning..

15aa2e60-b582-44d9-8169-212a7da1b8bd._SR

having used both, I prefer the PAW for a few reasons

1. custom velcro for a guy with big legs
  2. PAW stay up without a garter (for me at least)
  3. the maltese gave an almost rug-burn type sensation when used for more than 1 game in a row.
  4. the maltese always slid down because of their tendency to retain their flat shape, even with the garter and would not hug my legs, instead they would bow out any area there wasnt a strap.

Not to say I wasn't a fan of the maltese, but they just did not work for me the way i felt they should have for my needs.

After taking a big slapshot with my Passaus last night, I can recommend them from a protection perspective. They're comfortable, no discomfort on hard landings. The only knock against them is that they are a bit bulky compared to my old Vaughn knee pads. I have to wear sweat pants over them to keep them from catching on the knee landing. They stay up without needing tape or a garter belt. And for us Canadians, they are only $120 in canuck bucks. Wearing them on a bare leg might be a bit uncomfortable with the straps (4 of them per pad) but I wear my over a base layer.

• 1 month later...

What are you guys' thoughts on best knee pads for cushion/comfort when dropping or kneeling? I don't care so much about shot protection. I just want something soft to land in. I'm a tall guy and have always had a hard time finding knee pads that wrap far enough around the lower part of my knee that I feel they offer me good comfort to "fall" into.

1 hour ago, long_road said:

What are you guys' thoughts on best knee pads for cushion/comfort when dropping or kneeling? I don't care so much about shot protection. I just want something soft to land in. I'm a tall guy and have always had a hard time finding knee pads that wrap far enough around the lower part of my knee that I feel they offer me good comfort to "fall" into.

Warrior ritual X PRO has a massive cushion on them, not super bulky as well

4 hours ago, long_road said:

If cushion is your #1, I'd say Brown. They have a big pillow in them.

If you want protection, Passau for sure. 

I've had Maltese, PAW, Brown, and now Passau.

In terms of protection, they all offer roughly the same, although the Passau are the most protective, but also the bulkiest.  They're also the ones I use full time now.

Maltese is very, very low profile, but expensive.  PAW is kind of the best of both worlds in that they are lower profile than the others, but not quite as low as the Maltese, but at a much more affordable price point.  

I used the grey Reebok/Koho knee pads for almost ten years, but I finally tossed them because they became increasingly painful to land on. Since then, I've explored numerous knee pads in hopes of finding something similar but more comfortable.

The Koho Revolution 589 Pro Swiss knee pads were comparable but too bulky. That was cured by removing the floating carbon fiber plate, but that led to the knee cap catching on the pad above it. Also, the landing area--though better than the grey Reeboks--still wan't the comfort I was looking for.

The Passau knee pads were the most comfortable, but they constantly got caught on my pads and I don't wear socks to hold them down. (I use skate lace to strap my knee pads to my pants, like the old Luongo knee pads attached to the 9k pants.) Because the Passau's constantly over-rotated and got caught on my pads, I decided to switch after two skates.

The CCM KP Pro knee pads looking like they would fit the bill, but the bottom pad and strap (located below the knee cap) was too far from the knee cap. When I bent my knee, there was still a gap that exposed my knee between that bottom pad and the knee cap. Though the gap would not expose my knee to a shot, it would expose my knee to slamming into the ice.

What I've settled on (at least for now) are the Bauer Vapor 1x knee pads. I haven't skated with them yet, but they did not expose my knee like the CCM KP Pro's and they do seem to catch on the landing of my leg pads. The garter belt should also keep them in place. I can update everyone after I skate tonight. 

***I hope this post proves useful even though it does not address PAW or Passau knee pads. (Of the two, I am tempted to try the PAW knee pads that resemble the Luongo 9k knee pads that attach to your pants.)

Archived