Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cwarnar

Cwarnar's Video Channel

Recommended Posts

Managed to grab a lunch skate on Friday... Mid level pick up.  I felt much better and quicker this time out.  I also picked up a bar mount and thought I would try my cam inside the net to focus more on my footwork and form.

I was trying to reduce my use of the RVH, trying to use it only when the puck was below the goal line... I ended up giving up 2 ugly goals anyways (in fairness one hit a d-mans skate and then mine).  

Enjoy... Comments and criticism always welcome

Edited by cwarnar
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First off i am in LOVE with that pad setup!  i also have a question as a newbie to RVH, how do you decide when to put your foot inside the post and when to use your skate on the post?  i will be in regina on the weekend of feb 8/9 for a sledge hockey tourny if you want to check that out as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Netnewbie said:

First off i am in LOVE with that pad setup!  i also have a question as a newbie to RVH, how do you decide when to put your foot inside the post and when to use your skate on the post?  i will be in regina on the weekend of feb 8/9 for a sledge hockey tourny if you want to check that out as well.

Thanks for the compliment... I love my GT Pro set but I've still got the itch to try other gear.

I put my foot inside when I want to seal the post.  Or when I'll need to push back across the crease.

As for foot on the post, either I missed or what to try and change the angle or perception for the pick carrier.

I'm sure there's a much more technical aspect but my RVH is self taught and something I'm trying to develop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

same boat here just been asking and watching to see what i can learn.  i am gonna be self taught as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As some one who hasn't been taught and really cant do it, I think you do that voodoo really well, Mr. Warnar. Netnewbie, you have major cajones, Sir. Good luck in the tournament!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the tip. I don't use it nearly as well as you do or anyone else here. I have, however, tried to use something like it in which I get down and seal up as best as I can. I only use it when I have no concern about getting across for the back door or weak side pass. My pads don't slide that well and I physically don't fill enough net on my knees. Sorry - not trying to hijack your thread. Like I said, I think you do it well enough and will only get better at it the more you do it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been having cam issues and missed my previous skate and most of last nights.  I managed to grab the last 10 min of the pick up session.  Debuted the new mask paint from @Doobiesnax along with my new Worlds Okayest Goalie jersey to complete my set.

Gear tweaks for this game included ditching the knee wing and strapping down to the calf and using my new Duluth Trading Company suspenders which I already highly recommend!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seagoal said:

Looking good, nice shuffling on your knees left to right.

Thanks... I really try and use pick up skates for refining the smaller points of my game

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's smart. Same with me.  I play the puck a lot in my weekly pick-up and take lots of risks which of course, leads to mistakes.  That's how I fine-tune and learn and improve.  I try to move around on my knees like a cobra, too, as much as I can even though it might feel clunky or awkward.

I've noticed improvements for sure and can move silky like you in your video.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a lunch pick up yesterday... Short skaters so it took forever to get going and then was cut short by an ammonia leak in the ice plant.  

Felt decent, my puck tracking wasn't the greatest either... Comments welcome

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is a bit sketchy with the ammonia leak, glad they got you guys out of there. I thought you played well, to me you movement has improved with each skate. The set up looks great as well!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Imperative said:

That is a bit sketchy with the ammonia leak, glad they got you guys out of there. I thought you played well, to me you movement has improved with each skate. The set up looks great as well!

Thanks Cam. Moving into the X900 skates has made a world of difference in my game.  It’s no wonder why Mike McKenna said that skate advancement is the biggest change to the goaltending position 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had pick up last night... felt it was my best outing overall in awhile.  Made some solid stops but still gave up my share of goals.

Really been working hard on staying square and improving my crease movement... most notably stay “quiet” in my stance.

Comments and roasting welcome as always!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Job done: you stayed set and calm in the crease without going for any "swims". That helped you with your lateral movement and making great stops on the one timers or back door plays. I am really reluctant to say anything about anyone's stance. Yours is more than solid; you're balanced and square. Just a friendly and gentle suggestion. Sometimes just before the shot is released, your glove is up ice at a 90 degree angle from your elbow forward (if that makes sense). For example, 1:00 and 1:18. You're a big goalie with a good glove so perhaps maximize your coverage a bit. Maybe move the mitt just a little to the left of your left hip or to the left of your left bicep? It would fill more net in the shooter's eyes. Not referring to the fingers up, down, whatever. More about your left forearm and hand being out side your left hip, torso, or bicep. Again, not a criticism and certainly not a roast. Nothing "roastable" in the film. Good work!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Job done: you stayed set and calm in the crease without going for any "swims". That helped you with your lateral movement and making great stops on the one timers or back door plays. I am really reluctant to say anything about anyone's stance. Yours is more than solid; you're balanced and square. Just a friendly and gentle suggestion. Sometimes just before the shot is released, your glove is up ice at a 90 degree angle from your elbow forward (if that makes sense). For example, 1:00 and 1:18. You're a big goalie with a good glove so perhaps maximize your coverage a bit. Maybe move the mitt just a little to the left of your left hip or to the left of your left bicep? It would fill more net in the shooter's eyes. Not referring to the fingers up, down, whatever. More about your left forearm and hand being out side your left hip, torso, or bicep. Again, not a criticism and certainly not a roast. Nothing "roastable" in the film. Good work!

Thanks Joe.  My glove position is something I need to be more consistent on.  I've slightly modified my initial position to the fingers up but then muscle memory takes over.  Thanks for the tip... My next pick up I'll try and resolve that issue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you like the g4 glove? I have tried them on in store, I realize not the best comparison but I don’t love the feel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Imperative said:

How do you like the g4 glove? I have tried them on in store, I realize not the best comparison but I don’t love the feel. 

I have the GT Pro... I've tried the G3/4 on in store and they just don't feel "right".  I previously was a TPS guy and then Pete's glove when he was building under the Smith name.

Since your a 5500 guy, I think you'd dig the GT with the fixed break angle and the traditional build

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cwarnar said:

I have the GT Pro... I've tried the G3/4 on in store and they just don't feel "right".  I previously was a TPS guy and then Pete's glove when he was building under the Smith name.

Since your a 5500 guy, I think you'd dig the GT with the fixed break angle and the traditional build

I am definelty a 5500 guy I have worn a lot of gloves, v2, v3, v6. Simmons 995, 996, ul5, 586. Battram retribution, g-netik pro 2, ccm retro-flex. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Latest skate from last night... Wasn't my sharpest out by any stretch.  I felt really sloppy and disconnected.  I was playing with a pretty high calibre team and didn't face a high number of shots which I prefer to stay into a game.  Came out with the W but one to forget that's for sure.

Comments and criticism welcome!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good work picking up the win! It sure looked like your opponent was skating much better in your end than you defence was. Unreal save at 3:47 or so and it being a 2 on 0 the trailer puts it in, those are always tough to take, you make a great save and by the end of the play it ends up in your net anyways. Only critique I would have is on the first goal, I would suggest you get back to your feet to come across, it only stuck out to me because I gave up a similar goal in my last game. I think it was my 5th goal against I was sliding around instead of getting to me feet and I got beat high blocker. I also feel like I am playing my best when I recover to my feet quickly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Imperative said:

Good work picking up the win! It sure looked like your opponent was skating much better in your end than you defence was. Unreal save at 3:47 or so and it being a 2 on 0 the trailer puts it in, those are always tough to take, you make a great save and by the end of the play it ends up in your net anyways. Only critique I would have is on the first goal, I would suggest you get back to your feet to come across, it only stuck out to me because I gave up a similar goal in my last game. I think it was my 5th goal against I was sliding around instead of getting to me feet and I got beat high blocker. I also feel like I am playing my best when I recover to my feet quickly. 

That one actually went off the crossbar... nice optical illusion by the camera!

I find now that I'm able to move better in the butterfly I'm relying on it too much and getting lazy with being square and in a good position for shots.  Oddly I popped back up in a similar sequence at 2:08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a lunchtime pick up game today... Got the 9-5 win.  Felt a little sharper this time out.  Goals 2 and 4 against were scored by my own players (amazing how your own guys can time a perfect deflection in their own net).

Really tried to work on being square and on my feet more as well.  I've also been trying to shift to a fingers up glove positon but muscle memory is hard to break.

Comments and critiques welcome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 0 Guests (See full list)

    There are no registered users currently online

  • Member Statistics

    986
    Total Members
    2,646
    Most Online
    NeraGoalieGloves
    Newest Member
    NeraGoalieGloves
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By Puckstopper
      My custom 3 pack of R/V1 Pro+ sticks showed up today and all I can say is WOW!  The Holy Smoke clear coat on the paddle and shaft look fantastic and a great alternative to just leaving the paddle black or going with paint if you want to save a few grams but have your stick stand out from the crowd a bit.  The balance feels fantastic and the stick is noticeably lighter than my CR/1, just as promised.  Mine are 27.5" and weighed in at 667g (almost perfect for ol' @bunnyman666).  When picking them up I got to compare them side by side with the new CCM EF4 and Bauer 2S Pro.  They're right there with the EF4 for weight and of course are slightly behind the 2S Pro.   Next time I work at the LHS I'll try to take in my scale and get some actual side by side numbers.   My next ice time is 10 days off, so I'll update with impressions after I get them out on the ice and follow up with a full review some time in May/June.


      Edit:  Big props to @Kirk3190 and the team at Warrior.  The promised turn around time was 6 to 8 weeks and these showed up 4 days before the earliest possible day I had marked on my calendar.  If the pads show up similarly early I'll get the rare privilege of breaking them in between sessions of competitive play.  Fingers crossed!
    • By Peter36
      Used for one year, but it is in good condition. Very mobile chest protector. Size Medium.
      Looking for $70 or best offer.
       
       
      EDIT: SOLD
    • By Adam Cooper
      I picked this stick up the other week at Scotiabank Arena's shop where they sell used gear by the Leafs.  They sell everything from skates, helmets, sticks, gloves, pads, etc.  It's not often I see a stick like this in such great shape and for only $200 CAD.  A stick for Andersen is about triple that cost and to be honest, I probably would not use one of his sticks for my hockey.  This was one of two sticks left by Curtis.  The other one was all taped up and I preferred this one so I could see if there was any damage.
      Anyway, I've never had a high end stick like this before.  My most expensive goalie stick probably only cost me about $120 CAD so this is a nice upgrade from my current Bauer S27.  The 1S is just so incredibly light.  It almost feels like I'm using a player stick it's that light.  It is going to be really hard going back to a low end stick again.  
×
×
  • Create New...