What options for masks are available to someone who doesn't fit any off the shelf?

I'm in the market for a new mask as I took a hard shot off of my Hackva last season that ended up giving me a mild concussion. My Hackva is a size small and fits me really well, but it is 10+ years old at this point, I should have honestly replaced it sooner.

Mask selection is very sparse where I live, but I was able to try on a Bauer 960, CCM Axis Pro and Warrior Ritual (all size small) and they all fit in the forehead area but were too wide in the cheeks. The Bauer was the one that fit me the best (but still too loose).

I tried e-mailing protechsport back in March, but never got a reply.

Looked into Coveted as well, they seem like a good company and offer a fit guarantee if you send in your measurements. I'm a little confused on their different styles though. A5 seems to be their lower end mask, but it's made with kevlar and fiberglass, the same materials as their more expensive masks?

Is there anything else out there available in terms of custom masks?

I play women's rec hockey and occasionally play with some men who have played up to a Junior A level, so I want to make sure I'm getting something that is going to protect me. Trying to stay around 1000$ range, but willing to shell out more if need be.

Thanks!

Sounds like we’ve got similar melon shapes - narrow in the cheeks. You’ve already hit on Protechsport. They are probably one of the more cost effective “custom options” (with lead times being prohibitive for some). Coveted too. If you’ve got confusion on Coveted’s offerings - best to probably reach out to them direct. I know many have championed their customer service. You can also look at Warwick, Defender and/or Pro’s Choice. Not sure if Shark is still hanging out there. I can only speak to Pro’s Choice as I have (3) of them. Quality mask and you deal with the quality human being/builder himself if you reach out so if you have any questions there - shoot and I’ll do my best. I’m sure others will chime in as well. Happy hunting. 

Edited by chile57
  • Thanks 2

Hey @Sport2,

I have had the Coveted combo for about 1 year (Kevlar & Fiberglass, no carbon fiber) and I can say I’m extremely satisfied with the fit and protection. Have taken a few clappers off the melon with no ill effects (zero ear ringing). I can also say that the customer experience with Coveted is amazing. Ron is a super nice guy and he will not rest until you are 100% satisfied with the fit of your helmet. I strongly recommend this company. Lead time from placement of order to completion was also very reasonable compared to other custom manufacturers (I don’t remember the exact number, but I think it was something like 6 weeks).

As for the different models, my understanding is that the only difference is the shape of the shell and the quality/level of protection from one to the other is the same. If in doubt, just shoot an email to Ron and he’ll confirm that info for you.

Happy hunting!

• Thanks 1

My Coveted has been an absolute tank. I'd email them to see if the A5 matches spec on their no-carbon pro masks, but I'm pretty sure it does. Mine is a no-carbon 3:13 and I've taken some absolute bombs without issue. Ron assured me that weight and protection level are similar between all levels. The carbon would add some stiffness, and the with-carbon masks have a longer warranty, but I don't know if that's worth the additional price.

If you go with Coveted, I'd recommend sticking to a certified grid cage. I've found the main eyebar in their Cateye cage to be prone to bending. Could also contact Marco Garon at Guardian Angel cages (Facebook). He makes after-market Cateyes with a reinforced centre bar and eyebar. I've used one for a year on my Coveted and I cannot praise it highly enough.

I'm going to be getting another mask in the near future (have some new paint I want to get done) and I'll definitely be going back to Coveted.

Edited by CJ Boiss
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chile57 said:

Sounds like we’ve got similar melon shapes - narrow in the cheeks. You’ve already hit on Protechsport. They are probably one of the more cost effective “custom options” (with lead times being prohibitive for some). Coveted too. If you’ve got confusion on Coveted’s offering - best to probably reach out to them direct. I know many have championed their customer service. You can also look at Warwick, Defender and/or Pro’s Choice. Not sure if Shark is still hanging out there. I can only speak to Pro’s Choice as I have (3) of them. Quality mask and you deal with the quality builder himself if you reach out so if you have any questions there - shoot and I’ll do my best. I’m sure others will chime in as well. Happy hunting. 

I'm another Pro's Choice fan.  He's probably the most expensive option on the list but the product is worth it IMO.

• Thanks 1

Do you need a certified mask?

If not contact shawn Schroeder at Kustom Komposites. Him and protechsport make the best non certified masks because they dont BS you around materials used. 

Mostly everyone in the market hypes up a standard fiberglass mask....

He has a bunch of various molds and it's all custom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/3/2023 at 1:59 PM, SentryHockey said:

Do you need a certified mask?

If not contact shawn Schroeder at Kustom Komposites. Him and protechsport make the best non certified masks because they dont BS you around materials used. 

Mostly everyone in the market hypes up a standard fiberglass mask....

He has a bunch of various molds and it's all custom.

This is absolutely good advice too - I inadvertently overlooked Shawn and forgot to hit on certification. Good looking out @SentryHockey.

Have read nothing but good things about both Shawn himself and his products. 

Edited by chile57
  • Like 1

I have 2 Protechsport masks.  Very reasonable price for custom fitted mask.  I have a full kevlar and a full fibreglass.  Very little difference in weight.  Fit is great and Michel is awesome to work with.  As mentioned already, the downside is wait time. 

8 hours ago, daffy said:

I have 2 Protechsport masks.  Very reasonable price for custom fitted mask.  I have a full kevlar and a full fibreglass.  Very little difference in weight.  Fit is great and Michel is awesome to work with.  As mentioned already, the downside is wait time. 

I did try to go this route back in March, but I never got a reply. His website also looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time so I thought maybe he wasn't doing them anymore.

8 hours ago, Sport2 said:

I did try to go this route back in March, but I never got a reply. His website also looks like it hasn't been updated in a long time so I thought maybe he wasn't doing them anymore.

Last I knew Michel did masks as a side gig so he can be hard to wrangle (hence the long(er) wait times). That said - all folks I know who do get through to him talk about how nice a guy he is. If you’re set on the Protechsport - just might take a little persistence. Definitely not an instance where you’ll be left in the lurch. 

• Thanks 1

I would email him again. It would cost more but shawn Schroeder at Kustom Komposites can make you an identical layup mask....meaning 4 layers of kevlar, +3 in the forehead and chin, with 2 layers of woven fiberglass and epoxy resin. I think shawn would charge around 1400 or 1500 tho. But he could make one alot sooner.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2023 at 7:11 AM, Sport2 said:

I tried e-mailing protechsport back in March, but never got a reply.

I e-mailed him an hour or so ago re: a refurbish job at his protechsport AT Gmail DOT com account and got a reply thirty minutes later. His replies come from a different e-mail address - PM me and I can send that to you.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

I’m posting in this thread because I have a similar issue, every mask I’ve had has not fit me perfectly, I’ve used a Medium Bauer 960, Medium CCM Axis, and now I’m in a small NME One, I play junior hockey in Canada and consistently get shots that just don’t feel good. I’ve been thinking about a custom Pros Choice, but so expensive. Anyone have any experiences with Pros Choice or advice in general?

@Charlie T nothing good is cheap...

I think all the same "advice" above still applies (other than what was Coveted is now Apex - same guy, same masks, different name).

I have owned Pro's Choices since 2008 and have no complaints with the process, the product or the producer which is a lot more than I can say when dealing with a lot of custom offerings (whether it be lids or equipment in general).

17 hours ago, Charlie T said:

Hi all,

I’m posting in this thread because I have a similar issue, every mask I’ve had has not fit me perfectly, I’ve used a Medium Bauer 960, Medium CCM Axis, and now I’m in a small NME One, I play junior hockey in Canada and consistently get shots that just don’t feel good. I’ve been thinking about a custom Pros Choice, but so expensive. Anyone have any experiences with Pros Choice or advice in general?

Sportmask and OTNY are based in Canada, and I think they have CSA certified options. And as @chile57says, Apex, formerly known as Coveted, might have some CSA approved options for you.

There's probably a Pro's Choice megathread somewhere in this Masks subforum - but none of his masks are CSA certified, as far as I know. Plus he's located in the USA and they are pretty pricey so you'd have to deal with currency conversion, which would not be in your favor, and border transit times.

• Like 1

@ZeroGravitas is exactly right - I glazed over the fact you were in Canada/might need a "certified" lid. Worth mentioning that no true custom option (meaning a unique mold based on your one of one melon) will carry certification though (as no one is going to pay to put a one off through the certification process).

Edited by chile57