My Puck Collection

seagoal

6 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The Canadian Tire bucket of pucks has been a staple of every Canadian beer league or minor hockey team for decades lol. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/canadian-tire-logo-hockey-practice-pucks-30-pk-0830248p.0830248.html?loc=plp

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/pail-of-12-hockey-pucks-0830175p.0830175.html

I had a chuckle seeing it on display. :P 

Aww man, that's great. 

This was not something I was aware of as an American.  I love mine even more now.

• Like 1

Also, completely inspired by this project, @seagoal, I set up a few pucks of my own in the furnace room where my gear lives when I’m not wearing  it.

From L to R:

first shutout

2nd shutout

A Habs puck my Dad got signed by someone when I was younger 

Seattle puck from Seattle @seagoal!

Now-defunct Gloucester Cougars, the club my son played for (and I coached) from about 2019-2023

Canada pucks I ended up with during half-ice practices 

Some sort of Officla NHL puck I got as a kid, but don’t remember the story behind it.

IMG_5163.jpeg

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Also, completely inspired by this project, @seagoal, I set up a few pucks of my own in the furnace room where my gear lives when I’m not wearing  it.

From L to R:

first shutout

2nd shutout

A Habs puck my Dad got signed by someone when I was younger 

Seattle puck from Seattle @seagoal!

Now-defunct Gloucester Cougars, the club my son played for (and I coached) from about 2019-2023

Canada pucks I ended up with during half-ice practices 

Some sort of Officla NHL puck I got as a kid, but don’t remember the story behind it.

IMG_5163.jpeg

Look at that shiny Kraken biscuit, and, that first Canada puck on the left is a beaut. 

Nice collection pal!

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

@coopaloop1234beat me to it, but I was going to say: if all you wanted was a Crappy Tire puck, you could have had it MONTHS ago. My “Coach” bucket o’ pucks is full of them!

IMG_5162.jpeg

One of those Canadian Tire has made it all the way to me in Israel!

I picked it up during the Maccabiah (aka jewish olympics)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GoalieInTheDesertYT said:

One of those Canadian Tire has made it all the way to me in Israel!

I picked it up during the Maccabiah (aka jewish olympics)

No way, that's such a cool story.  I love that, that's the kind of sentimental story that my collection is all about.  Personal connections and pucks traveling from one place to another.

Fun tidbit: Canadian Tires also used to give out paper Canadian Tire money that looked and felt like real money to offset the 3% credit card upcharge if you used Debit or cash. Some not so nice Canadians used to use them as real currency abroad. Now they just use a loyalty card like everyone else. I miss them because I used to use them to light my cigars like in the movies.

34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

No way, that's such a cool story.  I love that, that's the kind of sentimental story that my collection is all about.  Personal connections and pucks traveling from one place to another.

Israel is hosting the u20 DivIIIA tournament this year, I’ll hopefully stream the games on my channel

I’ll definitely be grabbing an iihf puck!

• Like 1

My father in-law , who live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, texted me the day Erik Karlsson got traded to the Penguins and asked me if I've "heard of this guy."  Pretty cute.

So we got to talking and my pucks came up.  He asked me if I needed any Penguins pucks.  So I told him I officially have one already but it's the older gold color logo, not the current yellow (sport gold).  So he asked me to tell him which one I want and I will get it.

I got on Dicks Sporting Goods website and found their Penguins pucks.  Told him which was my favorite and which two alternates I like just in case. 

Naturally, all 3 are headed my way, haha. 

Go Pens?!?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, johncho said:

Fun tidbit: Canadian Tires also used to give out paper Canadian Tire money that looked and felt like real money to offset the 3% credit card upcharge if you used Debit or cash. Some not so nice Canadians used to use them as real currency abroad. Now they just use a loyalty card like everyone else. I miss them because I used to use them to light my cigars like in the movies.

Canadian Tire Money was as excellent substitute for missing Monopoly money too. 

6 hours ago, johncho said:

Was my first job (the one on Sources)! I was terrible at it.

Fawk! The one on Sources, but when it was teeny-tiny, right? Like before they put in the Guzzo theatre? It had a certain charm to it - but then I never worked there. I did work at a butcher shop in the Marche de l’Ouest a bit further up Sources; wouldn’t recommend it 😐

Before that one though, the Canadian Tire on Sources was on the other side of Brunswick/corner sources. Not sure if you remember it…? Circa mid-late 80s, around the same time that the store at the north end of centennial plaza was Toyville

(apologies to @seagoal for high jacking the thread, and setting a course for memory lane)

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Fawk! The one on Sources, but when it was teeny-tiny, right? Like before they put in the Guzzo theatre? It had a certain charm to it - but then I never worked there. I did work at a butcher shop in the Marche de l’Ouest a bit further up Sources; wouldn’t recommend it 😐

Before that one though, the Canadian Tire on Sources was on the other side of Brunswick/corner sources. Not sure if you remember it…? Circa mid-late 80s, around the same time that the store at the north end of centennial plaza was Toyville

(apologies to @seagoal for high jacking the thread, and setting a course for memory lane)

All conversations about pucks and all things Canada may resume.  As you were.

15 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I was still a wee lad probably still in Korea depending on how mid 80s. 

Marche de l’Ouest was a gem when the Arcade was still there!

On 8/10/2023 at 9:54 AM, johncho said:

I was still a wee lad probably still in Korea depending on how mid 80s. 

Marche de l’Ouest was a gem when the Arcade was still there!

Damn… that’s going back! I had forgotten about that one. We lived in the East side of Sources, so we went to Pinocchio’s in centennial plaza, back when they had tokens.

33 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

@seagoal

So I’m picking my kids at the day camp at Carleton University (daughter did team sports, my son did hockey). As we’re walking out, past the windows of the offices, I see this display. An Ottawa homage to your display…? 

IMG_5173.jpeg

I love it, stacked in a window is a perfect display.  My office is moving around the new year and I'm in suspense about how I will be able to display mine in the new space. 

29 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Maybe @seagoal was never in Washington in the first place? 

Conspiracy theory.  No comment.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

He does seem to be quite the Canadaphile… I mean, for an American. 

Guilty as charged.

Eventually down the road I want to build a wooden display box with a glass front and slots or channels running vertically with the top open for new ones.  Kinda like a Connect 4 board but made of wood with a glass front.

m54156629187_1.thumb.webp.e081e7f09b5d12b27c36d03d640c369e.webp

m54156629187_3.thumb.webp.b6b1d3bd01e96bdab78c964f315d9c57.webp

Edited by seagoal