EF6 Overview

TheGoalNet

1. What was the custom design process like? Similar to the Bauer process? Would you say your process is similar to what a retail customer goes trough?
  2. Any hopes of CCM offering a library of older CCM/Heaton/Koho designs? Tell them to call it the "Heritage Collection" and make online customizers! I think this would get a lot more people looking at CCM gear. They can start with really popular retro designs - Potvin, 580, Heaton 10, etc. Maybe roll out additional designs throughout the years...

3 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

What face foam did you get on the pads? The knee rolls look more flush than the retail models

Went with the max rebound, this pad is probably spec'd closer to an Axis 2 than a EFlex 6 stock.

32 minutes ago, ZeroGravitas said:
  1. What was the custom design process like? Similar to the Bauer process? Would you say your process is similar to what a retail customer goes trough?
  2. Any hopes of CCM offering a library of older CCM/Heaton/Koho designs? Tell them to call it the "Heritage Collection" and make online customizers! I think this would get a lot more people looking at CCM gear. They can start with really popular retro designs - Potvin, 580, Heaton 10, etc. Maybe roll out additional designs throughout the years...

1. Always leery to say what a retail experience is vs mine, because I go direct to the brand. But it was pretty apples to apples with Bauer. I used a friend to do a mock up, CCM edited the mock up, I made a couple tweaks, and then it was approved. I am friends with the person that is who does the custom CCM graphics right now. I also contacted him directly with a few questions. Standard retail customers won't be able to do that either.

2. I have suggested that for like 7 years now.  The response I have always gotten is "we want to focus on the future, not the past". With social media, most good sets will be seen. We've already seen an H10, Revoke, Helite 3 (GGN), OG Potvin (Me), 2nd Gen Potvin (Pro Skate Goal), etc. I think a customer could just say "I want an H10 now and it would be easy to do". Unless something is in the works I don't know know about, I would assume no formal program comes. 

5 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

2. I have suggested that for like 7 years now.  The response I have always gotten is "we want to focus on the future, not the past". With social media, most good sets will be seen. We've already seen an H10, Revoke, Helite 3 (GGN), OG Potvin (Me), 2nd Gen Potvin (Pro Skate Goal), etc. I think a customer could just say "I want an H10 now and it would be easy to do". Unless something is in the works I don't know know about, I would assume no formal program comes.

You're right that social media means a lot of sets will be seen, but I think it's one thing to see a set on social media and think, "Oh wow, that looks great!" and another to spend an hour or two on a customizer and dialing in the colors of your own set - especially if they can have retro ones that are pre-made and ready for a customer to throw some color on there. I think it lessens a barrier to entry and creates the seed of an idea in a potential customer's head, "This will be mine!" I think it's a little short-sighted of CCM - it can't be that expensive to put together a customizer for one or two set graphics is it?

5 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

You're right that social media means a lot of sets will be seen, but I think it's one thing to see a set on social media and think, "Oh wow, that looks great!" and another to spend an hour or two on a customizer and dialing in the colors of your own set - especially if they can have retro ones that are pre-made and ready for a customer to throw some color on there. I think it lessens a barrier to entry and creates the seed of an idea in a potential customer's head, "This will be mine!" I think it's a little short-sighted of CCM - it can't be that expensive to put together a customizer for one or two set graphics is it?

I would absolutely love to make a custom All Out set of Axis using a flat faced EF4 graphic. I really liked how Bernier's looked

4O7GIOFRKFAFZOS6KXY6IYRRTU.JPG

Edited by ThatCarGuy

On 7/24/2023 at 7:45 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I would absolutely love to make a custom All Out set of Axis using a flat faced EF4 graphic. I really liked how Bernier's looked

4O7GIOFRKFAFZOS6KXY6IYRRTU.JPG

On 7/25/2023 at 2:02 PM, TheGoalNet said:

IYKUK

Thatcarguy perhaps things not as they seem here… appears to me thegoalnet is pointing at something lol

12 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Thatcarguy perhaps things not as they seem here… appears to me thegoalnet is pointing at something lol

This was confirmed to be an EFlex without the knee rolls and not a Premier without the inner roll. Axis 1 and 12.1 were both something similar to a stiff EFlex without knee rolls...

No matter what I am told, I assume this to be the prototype for either of those pads. I am not sure if the break up was 100% defined at the start of that season. I do know that what ended up being Axis was something Lefevre and CCM initially discussed together.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

How's the Weave sliding vs speedskin axis 2?

I've got a handful of skates in my set as well and I will say that the weave on the ef6 slides better than the primo on my optik2 pads. I had no trouble pushing across the crease whether it was fresh ice or an hour into the skate. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Madmedic6 said:

I've got a handful of skates in my set as well and I will say that the weave on the ef6 slides better than the primo on my optik2 pads. I had no trouble pushing across the crease whether it was fresh ice or an hour into the skate. 

This is where some of these subjects are subjective or local ice dependent?

I haven't used Brian's in a bit, but those always slide so well. I don't think EF6's standout feature is the sliding. However, my PX pads are just weave and they are some of the fastest sliding pads in recent memory, so I don't doubt that someone is having a good personal experience with weave.

8 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

This is where some of these subjects are subjective or local ice dependent?

I haven't used Brian's in a bit, but those always slide so well. I don't think EF6's standout feature is the sliding. However, my PX pads are just weave and they are some of the fastest sliding pads in recent memory, so I don't doubt that someone is having a good personal experience with weave.

I can agree that different sliding experience are subjective due to Ice conditions locally.

I did a lot of research prior to buying my eflex 6 set (lifelong Vaughn user), and it was pretty incredible to see how split people are on the whole CCM speedskin/weave/, and just in general "do these pads suck at sliding" debate! I haven't been able to get them out on the ice yet but at this point I just can't wait to try that first butterfly slide 😂

45 minutes ago, froese said:

I did a lot of research prior to buying my eflex 6 set (lifelong Vaughn user), and it was pretty incredible to see how split people are on the whole CCM speedskin/weave/, and just in general "do these pads suck at sliding" debate! I haven't been able to get them out on the ice yet but at this point I just can't wait to try that first butterfly slide 😂

what were the key features of EF6 that had you pick it over Vaughn? What pads are you coming out of?

22 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

what were the key features of EF6 that had you pick it over Vaughn? What pads are you coming out of?

V7 xf pro carbon, and prior to that V3 pro carbon. So I've always used softer pads, but as my style has evolved I've wanted to move into something stiffer. The Eflex has always been a set I had my eye on because it seemed like a good progression from where I was - a stiffer, more modern pad but not too stiff so as to make it a difficult adjustment coming from my Vaughns. I also ordered a set of 9x3's and Axis 2's, but the Trues felt too stiff and tbh I didn't like the strapping (FRS). I've always had my Vaughn's strapped really loose and the FRS system felt too restrictive and tight. The Axis set was nice, but the QMSS2 strap was too tight and too short (it seems CCM realized that and changed it for the Eflex6). So I returned both of those and went with the Eflex set which I'm really happy with. Stiffer than the Eflex5's, strapping system feels very comfortable, and they're incredibly light. Then of course I had to order a new matching set of gloves, haha. Those are arriving tomorrow. I know that glove will be a transition but I liked it a lot in the store - it fit my hand really well.

I know that V10's are apparently an actual evolution of the Velocity line and supposed to be more stiff, but honestly stock is hard to find, and they're materially more expensive. So I decided to move away from Vaughn. The manager at Pro Hockey Life said that Vaughn is so far behind in fulfilling their orders that they're considering no longer ordering from them. 😬

• Like 1

Apologies if these are already out there, but I just noticed on CCM'S website that product videos by Kaylie Dankevy are now up for the ef6 glove and blocker. Also saw on CCM Goalies IG that tomorrow they'll be starting something called the "Eflex6 tech series". The marketing machine is really ramping up it seems. 

On 7/24/2023 at 11:58 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Looks like Bauer might be doing something like this now!

EDIT: Screenshot is from PureGoalie.com

Reactor4.thumb.png.a0d68d02800c7f918caaa1b01600e1c0.png

Edited by ZeroGravitas
  • Like 2

I had my first skate last night in my new set. It was outrageously hot in the arena and the ice was freshly put in and extremely soft. Apparently their dehumidifier system wasn't working either, so if anyone watched the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament a few weeks ago that's probably a good comparable for the arena conditions (but definitely not the quality of play, haha).

Pads:  Felt really comfortable right from the beginning. No issues sliding, even with the terrible ice conditions. And when the ice was fresh they were lightning fast, at least relative to what I'm used to. In terms of fit and performance they actually felt like a stiff version of my v7's. Not a radical shift from what I was used to. Pads rotated great every time, and those knee blocks felt rock solid. Rebounds were a lot punchier than my velocity's. Strapping system is great.

Blocker:  Awesome. Great pop for rebounds, very comfortable a and lightweight. No complaints.

Glove:  Coming from a Vaughn V9 xp (590 break) was a HUGE adjustment and more than I anticipated. On the first few shots I was literally full on whiffing on pucks going underneath my glove because my brain was still falling back to where I'm used to the pocket being in space relative to my hand position, and the overall angle of the glove. It was better by the end of the skate, and thankfully I have a couple more ice times this week to re-program my brain. My glove history is Vaughn Legacy T1050 (my one true love), Koho 590, Vaughn V9 xp and now the 581.

Anyone else have a similar path that ended in a 580 style break? And how did you find the adjustment? Thanks.

21 hours ago, froese said:

I had my first skate last night in my new set. It was outrageously hot in the arena and the ice was freshly put in and extremely soft. Apparently their dehumidifier system wasn't working either, so if anyone watched the Hlinka/Gretzky tournament a few weeks ago that's probably a good comparable for the arena conditions (but definitely not the quality of play, haha).

Pads:  Felt really comfortable right from the beginning. No issues sliding, even with the terrible ice conditions. And when the ice was fresh they were lightning fast, at least relative to what I'm used to. In terms of fit and performance they actually felt like a stiff version of my v7's. Not a radical shift from what I was used to. Pads rotated great every time, and those knee blocks felt rock solid. Rebounds were a lot punchier than my velocity's. Strapping system is great.

Blocker:  Awesome. Great pop for rebounds, very comfortable a and lightweight. No complaints.

Glove:  Coming from a Vaughn V9 xp (590 break) was a HUGE adjustment and more than I anticipated. On the first few shots I was literally full on whiffing on pucks going underneath my glove because my brain was still falling back to where I'm used to the pocket being in space relative to my hand position, and the overall angle of the glove. It was better by the end of the skate, and thankfully I have a couple more ice times this week to re-program my brain. My glove history is Vaughn Legacy T1050 (my one true love), Koho 590, Vaughn V9 xp and now the 581.

Anyone else have a similar path that ended in a 580 style break? And how did you find the adjustment? Thanks.

I myself am very pleased with the pads and the blocker. I went with loose fit and qk5 straps on the pads rather than the elastic only straps. Loose fit in the blocker is a nice touch as well. Only thing I don't like is the 581. If it's off angle even the slightest it will rocket off the face of the the glove. Patiently waiting for my ccm 580 to come in, just wish I could get the cross form strap on it.