EF6 Overview

TheGoalNet

19 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I myself am very pleased with the pads and the blocker. I went with loose fit and qk5 straps on the pads rather than the elastic only straps. Loose fit in the blocker is a nice touch as well. Only thing I don't like is the 581. If it's off angle even the slightest it will rocket off the face of the the glove. Patiently waiting for my ccm 580 to come in, just wish I could get the cross form strap on it. 

I had my second skate with the 581 last night and it did feel significantly better and more natural than night 1 so I haven't given up on it quite yet. I haven't had any of the issues that some others have had regarding closure and break in period and I really like the strapping system, especially the cross from strap, like you say. Very comfortable. If you order a custom 580, that's not an option? I hear you on the off angle stuff. Like I said, much better second time using it so I may get used to it, but it's a little finicky.

And agree re: pads and blocker. I just have the standard strapping and fit, but I wear them pretty loose as well and they feel great.

5 minutes ago, froese said:

I had my second skate with the 581 last night and it did feel significantly better and more natural than night 1 so I haven't given up on it quite yet. I haven't had any of the issues that some others have had regarding closure and break in period and I really like the strapping system, especially the cross from strap, like you say. Very comfortable. If you order a custom 580, that's not an option? I hear you on the off angle stuff. Like I said, much better second time using it so I may get used to it, but it's a little finicky.

And agree re: pads and blocker. I just have the standard strapping and fit, but I wear them pretty loose as well and they feel great.

Unfortunately no, cross form strap is only for 591/581. Regular break gloves get regular back hand strapping. Hopefully they will change that in the axis (stiff) line next year. 

3 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

Unfortunately no, cross form strap is only for 591/581. Regular break gloves get regular back hand strapping. Hopefully they will change that in the axis (stiff) line next year. 

That is definitely unfortunate, but good to know. I'll admit I've opened up the customizer a couple of times and thought about ordering a 590 break. Not quite there yet though. 

10 minutes ago, froese said:

That is definitely unfortunate, but good to know. I'll admit I've opened up the customizer a couple of times and thought about ordering a 590 break. Not quite there yet though. 

I mean it's unfortunate to spend the $$$ to try something new and not like it. But that's part of the retail game. I am fortunate enough to have a part time job at a store to get discount. But the replacement glove is full price. 

12 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I mean it's unfortunate to spend the $$$ to try something new and not like it. But that's part of the retail game. I am fortunate enough to have a part time job at a store to get discount. But the replacement glove is full price. 

Nice. Those employee discounts must be pretty sweet and come in handy. Maybe I should think about getting a part time job as well 😅

Yeah, you're always taking a risk with a new design, which sort of appealed to me. There's things about it I really like and I haven't used it enough yet to personally render a final verdict, and like I said yesterday was a huge improvement. It may work for me, we'll see. Have you officially given up on it? How much ice time did you have with the 581?

9 minutes ago, froese said:

Nice. Those employee discounts must be pretty sweet and come in handy. Maybe I should think about getting a part time job as well 😅

Yeah, you're always taking a risk with a new design, which sort of appealed to me. There's things about it I really like and I haven't used it enough yet to personally render a final verdict, and like I said yesterday was a huge improvement. It may work for me, we'll see. Have you officially given up on it? How much ice time did you have with the 581?

I have about 3 weeks at 2-4 times a week in it. I will say. My pro palm has been well padded, compared to what hockeyreviews posted. I purposely took palm shots in warmups the other day to test the protection. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I have about 3 weeks at 2-4 times a week in it. I will say. My pro palm has been well padded, compared to what hockeyreviews posted. I purposely took palm shots in warmups the other day to test the protection. 

I've seen his reviews on this gear, and watched some of his other stuff as well. I would just say that my experiences do not match up with his, and generally speaking I don't put a lot of stock in what he says, or support some of his testing methods. I'll leave it at that.

Edited by froese
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, froese said:

I've seen his reviews on this gear, and watched some of his other stuff as well. I would just say that my experiences do not match up with his, and generally speaking I don't put a lot of stock in what he says, or support some of his testing methods. I'll leave it at that.

I think he's on the right track he just tends to over exaggerate and be a bit soft

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmedic6 said:

10 ply...

1 hour ago, froese said:

This is generous and tactful. I admire your civility.

In addition to this I also prefer reviews from people who actually know what they're doing in net and have video to prove it. Which is why I (dramatic pause) prefer Trav's reviews over most. Don't worry @TheGoalNet you'll always be number one

5 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

In addition to this I also prefer reviews from people who actually know what they're doing in net and have video to prove it. Which is why I (dramatic pause) prefer Trav's reviews over most. Don't worry @TheGoalNet you'll always be number one

Jesus. Did you it your head when travelling? Trav's reviews are fucking garbage. 

This isn't even in defense of Hills' or his reviews, I get and agree with all the issues, but I'll still take him reviewing anything over Trav. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Not gonna speak to Trav or his reviews but it’s tough watching hockeyreviews game footage, he just slides back and forth unnecessarily 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Not gonna speak to Trav or his reviews but it’s tough watching hockeyreviews game footage, he just slides back and forth unnecessarily 

Yeah I just can't handle it. It's really not good. And then has the audacity to throw his teammates under the bus and pump his own tires. I find it all pretty embarrassing (for him). 

Trav can be hard to watch as well...I'm pretty sure he's more interested in producing content than playing "pro hockey" as he relentlessly likes to remind people, but at least he can play at a high level. I think?

Honestly the online goalie content, whether that's product review, on ice content, etc., is really lacking. I like that Bonesy guy - he just seems like a genuinely nice person and is legit. And I enjoy the InGoal content as well. Futureprogoaltending is good too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, froese said:

Honestly the online goalie content, whether that's product review, on ice content, etc., is really lacking. I like that Bonesy guy - he just seems like a genuinely nice person and is legit. And I enjoy the InGoal content as well. Futureprogoaltending is good too.

Dembones and Goalie Crease Guardian are both great channels. Go figure they're both EBUG's. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Madmedic6 said:

I might have to start a channel 😅. Definitely going to do a write up on ef6 vs px3 pads when lever my true order actually gets in. 

I would definitely watch this comparison video! I had actually bought both the ef6's and a pair of 9x3's to compare at home and then returned the 9x3's. Way stiffer than I expected, and I wasn't a fan of the short boot, if that makes sense. Also, was underwhelmed by the frs strapping system. BUT...very nice pads. Quality seemed top notch and I liked the nylon strap behind the knee. It was definitely a tough choice. Will be interested to see what you think of the px3's after skating with them.

Bonesy is great so is goalie crease guardian. I'll always have some bias to Dudo just because I know the guy and I know he's capable of playing at a decent pace as well as has experience with just about everything on the market. We have our differences in opinion of course especially on G6 but he's my go to for any gear questions and comparisons

• Like 1

On 8/16/2023 at 11:59 AM, Madmedic6 said:

Hockeyreviews is a joke, he was crying here when he left as if anyone gave 2 shits.... when this is a community of one another helping each other, it was about himself. He's bias, and that palm test was a complete joke.  Any puck that hits the sweet spot will hurt 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ that's why we have pockets. Move on from him. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1