On the post

Netnewbie

Well I just finished my first years as a goalie and learned a few things.

1.  I LOVE GETTING PUCKS SHOT AT ME!!!!

2. It's way harder and frustrating then anything else I have ever done. ( But again a ton of fun.)

So here's the position I'm in.  I play pure rec hockey which Is just unorganized shinny.  I play against all skill level from high school to two guys that had shot I'm the NHL and lots in-between.  Now here's where I need some help guidance and opinions.  I like the team I play with but we didn't win a game all year.  Closest he was maybe 5 goals.   Not sire if I should try to play again next year or drive the hour to the nearest city with ASHL and start at the bottom with closer to my skill level.  

Sorry, @Netnewbie but I'm in no position to give anyone advice.

But this part:

On 3/27/2018 at 2:54 AM, Netnewbie said:

It's way harder and frustrating then anything else I have ever done. ( But again a ton of fun.)

I was on the ice in full gear for only the 3rd time last night (that's 3rd time, as in career stats), and this is exactly how I have described it to my wife and friends! It's a weird and wonderful feeling to voluntarily suck (speaking about myself here), semi-publicly, and still leave with grin on your face!:D

Cheers!

There are two schools of thought:  Playing at your level will let you develop at the right pace or 2) playing against better guys will make you better.

I think that a combination of both is ideal.   Perhaps play at the correct level and sub at the higher level, or, play at the higher level and supplement with lessons and a ton of stick n puck or whatever they call it by you so you can practice.  

4 hours ago, jeff da goalie said:

There are two schools of thought:  Playing at your level will let you develop at the right pace or 2) playing against better guys will make you better.

I think that a combination of both is ideal.   Perhaps play at the correct level and sub at the higher level, or, play at the higher level and supplement with lessons and a ton of stick n puck or whatever they call it by you so you can practice.  

I mostly agree, but I'd like to drill down a little bit.

Playing at the correct level is a great way to work reps and develop correct habits and build fundamentals, especially for a beginner as OP mentioned he is.

Skill progression can be brought about by playing at the correct level if there is guidance.

Playing against better players can be a good or bad thing.
If a beginner is going up against an NHL guy going full speed, there is literally nothing the goalie can do.  That won't make anyone better.

1 hour ago, Punisher Goalie said:

If I can make a humble suggestion from a fellow newbie - whatever level you play at, invest in an action camera and film yourself playing. IMHO there is no better way to improve than to watch yourself on film and get feedback from more experienced goalies on forums like this!

That's a great idea!  Thanks, adding another item to the list!

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

I mostly agree, but I'd like to drill down a little bit.

Playing at the correct level is a great way to work reps and develop correct habits and build fundamentals, especially for a beginner as OP mentioned he is.

Skill progression can be brought about by playing at the correct level if there is guidance.

Playing against better players can be a good or bad thing.
If a beginner is going up against an NHL guy going full speed, there is literally nothing the goalie can do.  That won't make anyone better.

Very good points.  I agree completely.

Archived