Bauer to true

Bgums13

Alright guys first post but I’ve been ghosting here for awhile and I’ve learned a lot but I have a question that hasn’t been really answered so here it goes.

I am in the market for new skates and I’ve been in the same ccm u pro for 11yrs so I’m aware anything will be better than what I’m in but this is most likely my last skate purchase. 

I want to go cowlingless so my choices are obvious here’s the question beyond fit why do true skates out perform Bauer I’m looking at performance so do the Bauer skates give you that same feel on the ice no one has really answered why true are better beyond the fit.

I am not sure if I’d go 1pc or 2pc until I get my hands on samples to compare I know of everyone’s fear of the 1pc breaking so enough with the run on how much better will a true skate perform to a 1s or 1x 

thanks 

I think the fit of a skate is the single most important thing to consider while buying. 

Consider this...the better fitting the skate is, the less foot pain/cramping you'll have (obviously), but the less negative space you'll have in the skate as well. This makes pushes easier and more explosive since there is less energy transfer wasted and this makes it less tiring on your legs. You'll have noticeably fresher legs by the end of the game. 

While the Trues may be heavier than the Bauers, it is only noticeable holding them in your hands. Once you get on the ice, you won't really think about it. We as goalies just considered getting rid of the cowlings a couple of years ago, so I think the weight of our skates is a bit overrated and means more to a player than a goalie.

Going 1 piece vs 2 piece is an entirely different debate. From a consumer standpoint, the 2 piece makes more sense. I also think the 1 piece is an entirely different kind of skate compared to "Bauer vs. 2 piece" (lower, neutral attack angle, feel). 

Personally, I think if you can 100% comfortably fit into a retail skate, going the True route isn't necessary. But being 100% comfortable can be a bit rare since they are defined to fit many foot shapes. 

56 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

Personally, I think if you can 100% comfortably fit into a retail skate, going the True route isn't necessary. But being 100% comfortable can be a bit rare since they are defined to fit many foot shapes. 

As with everything, there is a cost/benefit analysis.  As long as I can get 85% comfortable in a retail skate, I'm not paying $1000 for custom.  My Bauer Vapor X900 (the step below the pro) is half of what True costs.  That's my calculation based on playing 1-2 times a week.  You might make a different choice, but I don't want to pay close to $1000.

1 hour ago, jeff da goalie said:

As with everything, there is a cost/benefit analysis.  As long as I can get 85% comfortable in a retail skate, I'm not paying $1000 for custom.  My Bauer Vapor X900 (the step below the pro) is half of what True costs.  That's my calculation based on playing 1-2 times a week.  You might make a different choice, but I don't want to pay close to $1000.

I agree, but if the poster wants to go the 1X route, the 2 piece is very similar in price. I believe it is only a $50 difference. I do believe a skate is something you want to spend as much as your budget allows as well. 

5 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I agree, but if the poster wants to go the 1X route, the 2 piece is very similar in price. I believe it is only a $50 difference. I do believe a skate is something you want to spend as much as your budget allows as well. 

They are expensive and it’s frustrating that they price them that high but you get what you pay for, my thing is like this will I get the same performance result from a Bauer as I would a true the “feel” of the ice the energy into each push etc at my age this will be my last set fit isn’t an issue 

2 hours ago, Bgums13 said:

They are expensive and it’s frustrating that they price them that high but you get what you pay for, my thing is like this will I get the same performance result from a Bauer as I would a true the “feel” of the ice the energy into each push etc at my age this will be my last set fit isn’t an issue 

IMO, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference either way, in performance that is.  I'm sure the TRUE will be much more comfortable, but realistically, they're not going to turn you into jonathan quick because they claim better energy transfer.  You might tell everyone that after dropping $1k just to save face...but we'll know the truth ; )  I don't know about anyone else, but when my foot is in the skate its up against the damn foot bed.  It's not floating around looking for a place to land.  So when I push, it's not like I'm waiting for something to happen, I feel connected all the way through.  I know what a loss of energy transfer feels like because I've dealt with it in various player skates.  I've never felt anything like that happen when playing goalie because I don't push nearly that hard in my butterfly.  My knees and groin will thank me one day.

23 minutes ago, jayluv54 said:

IMO, you probably wouldn't notice much of a difference either way, in performance that is.  I'm sure the TRUE will be much more comfortable, but realistically, they're not going to turn you into jonathan quick because they claim better energy transfer. 

I disagree. The better fitting the skate, the less force you need to compensate for in your pushes. This makes pushing easier as well as less tiring. Nobody's expecting a piece of equipment to make you an NHL goalie out of beer league but there are certain aspects that can improve your game or just make it overall easier. 

I've had the 1S, 1X and now the True boot. I can tell you I definitely feel less tired after playing. 

1 hour ago, Aquilzz said:

I disagree. The better fitting the skate, the less force you need to compensate for in your pushes. This makes pushing easier as well as less tiring. Nobody's expecting a piece of equipment to make you an NHL goalie out of beer league but there are certain aspects that can improve your game or just make it overall easier. 

I've had the 1S, 1X and now the True boot. I can tell you I definitely feel less tired after playing. 

This, 100%. Especially the last statement. 

With my old Grafs, my legs would be tired after a game, worse after a hard skate. I can easily go two hard skates back to back now. 

Quality of gear is one thing, quality of life off it is important too!  

I would also factor in soft costs. If you pay for your sharpenings, the True steel holds edge much better than the stock Bauer. You’ll need less sharpenings over time. 

On 3/29/2018 at 2:21 PM, Aquilzz said:

Did you have custom or stock Bauers? It´s not fair to compare custom skate to a stock skate. 

12 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

Did you have custom or stock Bauers? It´s not fair to compare custom skate to a stock skate. 

It's not fair to compare senior level gear to pro level gear, but we do it anyways for value analysis.

It's not fair to compare a cheap plastic helmet to a pro level custom helmet, but we do it anyways.

There's always room for comparisons, especially considering the money gear costs, on this website.

38 minutes ago, Korppi32 said:

I do think it is fair considering the price. The Bauer 1x costs $799 and the True 2 piece costs $849. A $50 price difference should put them in a similar model for comparison. 

The problem for Bauer is that going custom through them is difficult and more expensive than stock. But I am interested to see CCMs new technology. 

17 minutes ago, Aquilzz said:

I do think it is fair considering the price. The Bauer 1x costs $799 and the True 2 piece costs $849. A $50 price difference should put them in a similar model for comparison. 

The problem for Bauer is that going custom through them is difficult and more expensive than stock. But I am interested to see CCMs new technology. 

I was told a custom Bauer skate would be $100-150 more than the MSRP.

11 hours ago, Aquilzz said:

It´s quite easy to make custom Bauer skates with 3D skate lab. It´s very accurate.

1 hour ago, Bgums13 said:

You’re right it’s to Hockey what Dr scholls orthotic scanner is to shoes

Yup. Step on it and it basically spits out "heres what you should buy off the shelf". 

That's not to say it won't eventually evolve into what True is doing, but it currently isn't doing that. 

So after being fitted I decided to go with the 1x I know I know for 50 more I could have had a custom boot but the 1x fit very well honestly one of the best feeling fits off the shelf in the last 6yrs that I’ve been trying to replace my ccm u pro, I am just hoping that the performance will be similar to a true as far as energy transfer, strong pushes and less fatigue in my legs. I am only a beer league guy but I still care about the performance of my gear and I feel your mask and skates should be the two best pieces of equipment you wear so I thank you guys for your knowledge I do know one thing I will be buying new steel Bauer cheats you there 

Bryan 

Archived