2023-24 Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

Just now, RichMan said:

@coopaloop1234 bro, that looks like a Bauer. I meant the GT vs the G6 and/or G7.

I was only using the photo as it had the most direct head on view of the thickness of the calf landing. 

Compared to the picture of Jeremy smith's G7's, there's not a lot of difference. 

Here's my G5's - No difference

20230130_212800.thumb.jpg.07c05847311f54010e266ebf53baeb6f.jpg

Here's @ThatCarGuy's G6's, 

20230830_175621.jpg.deaac1a91f5b402979d1a58aa704746b.thumb.jpg.d9274384eea71401f4acd772ea6da145.jpg

I don't think there's been any major changes to the calf landing area for a long while now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Question is, is that the default leg channel? Or is Warrior still going to offer multiple customization options? I'd like to see the pad in person before I come to a conclusion on my opinion, I can't say the change looks bad. 

The question is why is Warrior abandoning their leg channel? 

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with Pro feedback. A lot of the guys overseas are using the short and narrow styled leg channel on the G6 so Warrior may have adopted a similar set up as "stock". 

As always I'll be interested in seeing what Warrior puts out, but I'm not sure if I'll love it like the G5 or G6. 

#bringbacktheRGT

Considering Smith opted for the default calf wrap options last season I'm betting thats going to be the standard. From my understanding a lot of guys found the 360 calf wrap restricting when worn tight

I'm glad to see this calf wrap option is somewhere in between the previous long and short options. Short exposes the ankle and long is too restrictive with the rigid foam wraps. 

Watching video of smith playing, the new calf wrap moves a lot like a more traditional wrap that isn't only made of super rigid foams. Kind of disappointed to see the sling wrap straps go because they had the perfect amount of stretch to be worn super tight without being uncomfortable

7 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Considering Smith opted for the default calf wrap options last season I'm betting thats going to be the standard. From my understanding a lot of guys found the 360 calf wrap restricting when worn tight

That was my assumption as well. 

I'm glad to see this calf wrap option is somewhere in between the previous long and short options. Short exposes the ankle and long is too restrictive with the rigid foam wraps. 

One of the reasons I wasn't a fan of the G6 when I saw it. The change in foams/rigidity to the 360 wrap was something I found restrictive and not inductive of playing well like they used to have things set up. 

The G4/RGT2/G5 leg channels are probably where their system shined the most. 

Watching video of smith playing, the new calf wrap moves a lot like a more traditional wrap that isn't only made of super rigid foams. 

So like everyone else than. Which now brings in the question: What does Warrior provide that others don't? 

I always like how they differentiated themselves. 

5 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

You'd think they could at least open up the back and snap a pic of the strapping. but I agree, looks like CCM did that custom for him.

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So like everyone else than. Which now brings in the question: What does Warrior provide that others don't? 

I always like how they differentiated themselves. 

My favorite feature on warrior pads has always been the nylon knee cradle. Rotates so much better than anything else, doesn't under rotate from your knee gripping too close to the back of the pad, and you never fall off the block because of the sling wrap knee. Now with companies moving towards a flat boot channel warrior is one of the few (so far) to keep it even if it is subtle which I love because it helps center my pads and allows less thigh rise interference. And with G6 the shin pillow makes the pad feel almost more connected than my EF5s. 

However I think I've said it here before but I have no idea where, at this point every manufacturer has a very very similar leg pad. In most cases the deciding factor is the glove and warrior is still one of the best. 

3 minutes ago, froese said:

You'd think they could at least open up the back and snap a pic of the strapping. but I agree, looks like CCM did that custom for him.

Judging by the fact is has a wrist strap I'm betting it's just normal 580 strapping. 

11 hours ago, pfeiffjay54 said:

Trav4 said 580 was gonna be stock. Still a chance it’ll be like g6 and 6.1 type thing or did he pull that out his ass?

Bauer has two very successful gloves. The Supreme is used by almost all their pro goalies, and the vapor is very popular at retail. The vapor 90 has done extremely well at custom but not enough to dethrone one of their flagship models. If you want a stock 580 you’ll have to go ccm or wait for the vaughn or brians copycats.

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Bauer has two very successful gloves. The Supreme is used by almost all their pro goalies, and the vapor is very popular at retail. The vapor 90 has done extremely well at custom but not enough to dethrone one of their flagship models. If you want a stock 580 you’ll have to go ccm or wait for the vaughn or brians copycats.

Not entirely accurate.. I got to chat with a Bauer custom rep who said the vapor 90 will be the stock break for vapor moving forward in 25. 

Edited by Madmedic6
Didn't mean to quote youngoalie.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hockeygoalie111 said:

I can't imagine the Konekt 2 is much different than the original.  Is True doing velcro straps lol?

The True rumor (Trumor?) is that it's somewhere their take on the Konekt skate, somewhere between the two.

I think it'll be very good to have two companies trying to push the technology/design in that department.

Edited by keeperton
  • Like 1