2023-24 Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

16 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Pretty sure he still uses a 12.1 spec on his PX3's. 

Here's his 12.2 set: https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-full-sets/6906890-true-juuse-saros-nashville-predators-l12-2-goalie-set

Here's him in the playoffs this year, note the lack of thighrise notch to signify it's a PX3 build. 

Capture.JPG.122b01069c9b8024e5dbbe3b40f87a3f.JPG

Nuh uh

gettyimages-2150118706-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.5e9cd3cb29bf4b5e2d29d3b89596277a.jpg

Also fuck that seller. Pretty sure dude gets all that stuff for free and overprices the shit out of it. Any time someone confronts him about it he claims he paid more and states the gear is pro used as opposed to pro stock and therefore worth more. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Nuh uh

gettyimages-2150118706-2048x2048.thumb.jpg.5e9cd3cb29bf4b5e2d29d3b89596277a.jpg

Also fuck that seller. Pretty sure dude gets all that stuff for free and overprices the shit out of it. Any time someone confronts him about it he claims he paid more and states the gear is pro used as opposed to pro stock and therefore worth more. 

Well shit lol. 

You know what? If someone is going to pay 3500 USD for a used set of gear, they deserve to be scammed. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Does anyone happen to have or previously had Saros pro return leg pads? I have a buddy asking what the specs are since he has some and wants to order the same thing. I’m more specifically trying to find what flex profile he uses. Thanks

Unfortunately the super tight leg channel is a holdover from the Eflex line and is a Pro only option. 

2 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Well shit lol. 

You know what? If someone is going to pay 3500 USD for a used set of gear, they deserve to be scammed. 

Yeah. He was using the thick thigh, but seemed to move over to the thin one right towards the end there (from what I remember).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/6/2024 at 8:18 PM, keeperton said:

Yeah. He was using the thick thigh, but seemed to move over to the thin one right towards the end there (from what I remember).

Some folks prefer thick thighs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Warrior at training camp but doesn't really count because the guy came from a warrior sponsored team. 

Screenshot_20240704-122507.thumb.png.38406ec14519710b01a72df28b00ee67.png

Tons of tiny unique stuff with Bob's setup

Screenshot_20240708-190633.thumb.png.69c1fdb4049a925c4a6a4b11a02e5cf6.png

Haven't heard of a lot of waxed lace users for goalies or seen many using those bunga pads. Also worth noting he goes 2 eyelets down which seems a bit excessive. 

Screenshot_20240708-190532.thumb.png.ed27ad878f08f397f9fb47162e3fafed.png

Unsure what elbow floaters or shoulder caps those are but they aren't stock. Suspender tabs inside the pants are kind of strange but I wonder if it helps with pushing the pants wider to present better. 

Screenshot_20240708-190500.thumb.png.fab7a4e8b47a63e4284a7417ab204ee2.png

Even as a skinny guy that is some ungodly tight strapping. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Haven't heard of a lot of waxed lace users for goalies or seen many using those bunga pads. Also worth noting he goes 2 eyelets down which seems a bit excessive.

Unsure what elbow floaters or shoulder caps those are but they aren't stock. Suspender tabs inside the pants are kind of strange but I wonder if it helps with pushing the pants wider to present better.

Those elbow floaters look like P1 to me.

Is that confetti on the pad toe tie?

Another thing I noticed from the video - Bob either doesn't care about or intentionally maintains a weird kink in his glove T.

image.png.e0d7b72aa60fa0c40b240413082e92af.png image.png.a79e2f6678fdbaede00ea4c0e07a061e.png

image.png.6eb643797f75970753bdb1e6cec5c623.png  image.png.69debddaf7f51eedbdc9242f2bd56df1.png

7 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Warrior at training camp but doesn't really count because the guy came from a warrior sponsored team. 

Screenshot_20240704-122507.thumb.png.38406ec14519710b01a72df28b00ee67.png

Screenshot_20240708-190633.thumb.png.69c1fdb4049a925c4a6a4b11a02e5cf6.png

Screenshot_20240708-190532.thumb.png.ed27ad878f08f397f9fb47162e3fafed.png

Screenshot_20240708-190500.thumb.png.fab7a4e8b47a63e4284a7417ab204ee2.png

I'm a small and relatively slender dude. I add that as a modifier to say I've always found it really weird to see how many people in the goalie community keep their pad strapping so damn loose (honestly can only think of Dudo right now, but I know I've seen other goalie content that talks about how the straps are too small/short on pads). I have beefy legs, never had pad straps be too short/small. I probably should add that I like a tighter feeling pad, leaving me a bit in the dark for why others want such a loose pad.

Other thing I'll point out is that Bob uses the soft knee wrap. I've seen a lot of other pro True users moving away from that. I love the soft knee wraps, I think I got poisoned by much older Velocity pads in that regard.

Those Warriors look very nice.

6 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Another thing I noticed from the video - Bob either doesn't care about or intentionally maintains a weird kink in his glove T.

image.png.e0d7b72aa60fa0c40b240413082e92af.png image.png.a79e2f6678fdbaede00ea4c0e07a061e.png

image.png.6eb643797f75970753bdb1e6cec5c623.png  image.png.69debddaf7f51eedbdc9242f2bd56df1.png

His and Oettinger's glove pockets upset me to an unhealthy amount. They're all misshapen abominations lol.

10 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

My Adam Werner Bauer 580 is the same thing. Don't know why they do it ?

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131200.jpg

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

4 hours ago, Snowman30 said:

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131200.jpg

You know that terrible habit goalies have of pushing the tee open with their blocker and stick that ends up breaking the glove? One solution or alternative is to smash the webbing instead of the tee bar. If you watch Bob he smashes hit pocket and I'm guessing Werner does the same. Bob also uses that older CCM glove pocket that is bigger and deeper, so his might look more extreme than others.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

You know that terrible habit goalies have of pushing the tee open with their blocker and stick that ends up breaking the glove? One solution or alternative is to smash the webbing instead of the tee bar. If you watch Bob he smashes hit pocket and I'm guessing Werner does the same. Bob also uses that older CCM glove pocket that is bigger and deeper, so his might look more extreme than others.

For CCM/True/Lefevre it also comes from the build of the T and attaching to the glove.

That Werners Bauer can be partly of the same but also the webbing being too tight to let the T work "freely".

It has a long range of movement when glove is flat open to completely closed. My VE8 glove does a bit of the same and there the webbing isn't problem and the T itself should be flexible enough but obviously not. It's not that bad and only when closed but that is the shape I usually get to see after a save. Eh, yeah. 😅

• Like 1

On 7/8/2024 at 8:00 PM, Chenner29 said:

On 7/9/2024 at 6:05 AM, Snowman30 said:

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131207.jpg

20230718_131200.jpg

On 7/9/2024 at 9:09 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm pretty sure all these mishapen pockets are just where the puck hits the pocket the most. 

On 7/9/2024 at 1:59 PM, ArdeFIN said:

For CCM/True/Lefevre it also comes from the build of the T and attaching to the glove.

That Werners Bauer can be partly of the same but also the webbing being too tight to let the T work "freely".

It has a long range of movement when glove is flat open to completely closed. My VE8 glove does a bit of the same and there the webbing isn't problem and the T itself should be flexible enough but obviously not. It's not that bad and only when closed but that is the shape I usually get to see after a save. Eh, yeah. 😅

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/hockey/goalie/goalie-gloves-blockers/7682199-ccm-extreme-flex-4-goalie-glove-580-pro-stock-return-bobrovsky-nhl-game-ready-new-11688?referral_code=koho1370121

Here is a new/but old Bob glove, pocket looks normal here

On 7/9/2024 at 12:44 AM, keeperton said:

I'm a small and relatively slender dude. I add that as a modifier to say I've always found it really weird to see how many people in the goalie community keep their pad strapping so damn loose (honestly can only think of Dudo right now, but I know I've seen other goalie content that talks about how the straps are too small/short on pads). I have beefy legs, never had pad straps be too short/small. I probably should add that I like a tighter feeling pad, leaving me a bit in the dark for why others want such a loose pad.

I generally like a looser pad but I can play in loose/tight strapping so I can understand why guys like each type of set up. 

I like a looser set up because I don't like the feeling of being constrained in any of my gear. My Chest is untucked with no suspenders on top, I hate most blocker cuffs (why I love my Mach), and my catcher preference is to not have a wrist strap. I don't like feeling the gear on me.  

Looser pads move around the leg more and don't tug and pull as much as wearing a tighter set up does. While you lose a little bit of control, the ease of movement and the less strain on knees and hips makes it much more preferable. 

When I had my V4's I wore 'em decently tight, but as I've transitioned into stiffer and stiffer pads, my preference for them getting looser has increased. In saying that, a lot of how tight I wear pads comes down to the strapping style. 

I wear my Ultrasonics very loose, but when I wore Mach's I like the TuneFit2.0 system they had, even though tons of people found it too tight on their legs. I have decently chunky legs too. 

TL;DR: Looser is better because it's more flowy and feels less harsh on my old knees and hips. 

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I generally like a looser pad but I can play in loose/tight strapping so I can understand why guys like each type of set up. 

I like a looser set up because I don't like the feeling of being constrained in any of my gear. My Chest is untucked with no suspenders on top, I hate most blocker cuffs (why I love my Mach), and my catcher preference is to not have a wrist strap. I don't like feeling the gear on me.  

Looser pads move around the leg more and don't tug and pull as much as wearing a tighter set up does. While you lose a little bit of control, the ease of movement and the less strain on knees and hips makes it much more preferable. 

When I had my V4's I wore 'em decently tight, but as I've transitioned into stiffer and stiffer pads, my preference for them getting looser has increased. In saying that, a lot of how tight I wear pads comes down to the strapping style. 

I wear my Ultrasonics very loose, but when I wore Mach's I like the TuneFit2.0 system they had, even though tons of people found it too tight on their legs. I have decently chunky legs too. 

TL;DR: Looser is better because it's more flowy and feels less harsh on my old knees and hips. 

Similarly, I see weird slamming against elastic toe ties (even the Pro Laces version with lace from the notch to the pad, elastic otherwise) along with keeping it looser. I'd also argue that getting rid of the boot strap has done wonders for people's ankle, knees, and hips in terms of an anchor point (I won't claim anything about injury, no way to ethically test that).

I'm loving the connected feel of the FRS sans boot strap. Open feel where it matters, connected/tight so you can feel the movement in the pad.

I've been on a similar journey of getting continuously stiffer on my pads, and "loosening" them, but loose to me is pretty different when I used to crank down leather straps back in the day. I could never do a glove without a wrist strap unless the rest of it death gripped me in, my hands are far too dainty.

13 minutes ago, keeperton said:

Similarly, I see weird slamming against elastic toe ties (even the Pro Laces version with lace from the notch to the pad, elastic otherwise) along with keeping it looser. I'd also argue that getting rid of the boot strap has done wonders for people's ankle, knees, and hips in terms of an anchor point (I won't claim anything about injury, no way to ethically test that).

The recent hate that Bungees are getting as of late is blasphemous. Skate lace junkies really do like to tell you how great they are. ;) 

I'm loving the connected feel of the FRS sans boot strap. Open feel where it matters, connected/tight so you can feel the movement in the pad.

TuneFit2.0 was Bauer's version of the FRS. So I get the love for it. It's a great system that does what a professor strap does withought feeling as cumbersome. Most Professor straps are too high for my liking. I have one on my pads but it's so loose that it's only purpose is an end point to ensure my knee doesn't come off the block. 

I could never do a glove without a wrist strap unless the rest of it death gripped me in, my hands are far too dainty.

My hands are 7" from tip to base. I'm right on the cusp between INT/Sr. I get the concern and feel. I use an INT liner in my G6. 

Out of the three brands that have done wristless gloves, the Mach was terribly implemented. It was essentially just deleting the wrist strap. My hand always felt like it was slipping. Even in the picture below, I added a zap strap to move the attachment point down in order to get it more secure. Still wasn't great. 

CCM's version isn't bad, though a bit clunky. Warrior's is still the best out there. It anchors down right above the wrist and holds your hand inside. I have never felt at risk for my glove flying off. 

That freedom and security (coupled with protection, ease of use, and performance) has me completely beholden to the Church of Pete Smith. 

20231109_101350.jpg

20231109_101439.jpg

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The recent hate that Bungees are getting as of late is blasphemous. Skate lace junkies really do like to tell you how great they are. ;) 

Absolutely. Kind of ridiculous.

7 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

My hands are 7" from tip to base. I'm right on the cusp between INT/Sr. I get the concern and feel. I use an INT liner in my G6. 

Out of the three brands that have done wristless gloves, the Mach was terribly implemented. It was essentially just deleting the wrist strap. My hand always felt like it was slipping. Even in the picture below, I added a zap strap to move the attachment point down in order to get it more secure. Still wasn't great. 

CCM's version isn't bad, though a bit clunky. Warrior's is still the best out there. It anchors down right above the wrist and holds your hand inside. I have never felt at risk for my glove flying off. 

That freedom and security (coupled with protection, ease of use, and performance) has me completely beholden to the Church of Pete Smith. 

I'm the same measurement, but have no real meat on my hands either. When I demoed a G6 glove I had it threatening to fall off on me a few times, but I totally see its appeal. I've really loved the ability to crank it down with the floating wrist on the BOA Brian's gloves, which I've still had fall off on me once somehow (once in 6 years isn't so bad though).

Edited by keeperton