Bauer S170 Senior Blocker Review

Adam Cooper

Here is my video review of the Bauer S170 Blocker.  This blocker is designed for your average goalie playing lower level rec hockey.  I have been using this blocker for the last 6-months.  Overall, very good on the wallet.  I think for the price, it is still a deal.  Concerns would be around finger protection as it does not offer the same protection on the fingers as some of the higher end blockers.

Good review.

Generally it's tough to find reviews on SR level gear, let alone the entry SR level (S170, X700, Eflex 3.5, Netzero, etc.) So good on ya for tossing a review up there for the real entry level stuff.

PS, I also just realized there's a S150. I can't imagine what you would be getting with those...

That lack of finger protection just doesn't seem right to me at all. Seems like they omitted because 'reasons'.

My own opinion, I've always told guys to avoid the entry level stuff like this. The lack of protection/durability is just going to be leading you to replace these sooner. By all means, if you're brand new and just want to get your feet, wet, it's a decent start. But, you're going to find better gear on used sales sites. A little scouring can and will get you better gear for as much, if not cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll be doing a similar video post on the Bauer S170 Catcher shortly. I picked these up as a new goalie as I was not sure I was going to stick with being a goalie.  Now that I'm seriously committed to it longterm I plan on upgrading because performance and protection are critical for me.  I'll be willing to drop an extra $200-$300 now for a set.

21 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

Thanks for the feedback!  I'll be doing a similar video post on the Bauer S170 Catcher shortly. I picked these up as a new goalie as I was not sure I was going to stick with being a goalie.  Now that I'm seriously committed to it longterm I plan on upgrading because performance and protection are critical for me.  I'll be willing to drop an extra $200-$300 now for a set.

See? 6 months in and you're buying new gear.

Also, another benefit of buying used is that you're able to try varying types of gear to find what works best for you. Granted, I talk a big game about buying used, but aside from my very first set, I've been in all new gear. lol

Archived