Goalie Skate comparison question

So I have a pair of Vapor XIX goalie skates.  I have worn these so much that I'm just about out of steel that can be sharpened,  I probably can get 2 or 3 more sharpeninings and that's it.

I know most didn't like the translucent/blue cowlings.  Personally I didn't care one way or the other because the fit is perfect.

So here's the question.   I'm looking to replace these and what skates fit similarly to these?  I'd prefer to stick with Bauer but that's not set in stone.   I was looking at a pair of S190's but not sure how they compare.    The local goalie shop of which there is 1, really frowns on you trying anything on if you are not buying from them.  Which I totally understand,  I can't afford $500+ for a new pair of skates so looking for gently used skates that someone doesn't want.  

It would be really awesome if someone here had those old vapors and can say what skate they went with.

thanks.

10 minutes ago, vikingGoalie said:

So I have a pair of Vapor XIX goalie skates.  I have worn these so much that I'm just about out of steel that can be sharpened,  I probably can get 2 or 3 more sharpeninings and that's it.

I know most didn't like the translucent/blue cowlings.  Personally I didn't care one way or the other because the fit is perfect.

So here's the question.   I'm looking to replace these and what skates fit similarly to these?  I'd prefer to stick with Bauer but that's not set in stone.   I was looking at a pair of S190's but not sure how they compare.    The local goalie shop of which there is 1, really frowns on you trying anything on if you are not buying from them.  Which I totally understand,  I can't afford $500+ for a new pair of skates so looking for gently used skates that someone doesn't want.  

It would be really awesome if someone here had those old vapors and can say what skate they went with.

thanks.

1. any store that frowns upon you for trying stuff on, regardless if you're purchasing them or not is wrong. No one should feel bad about trying something on and then not wanting it. It's part of the buying process for hockey gear. Like, it's the third step after determining a need and choosing a potential product.

2. The 1S line and new Vapour line is going to be quite different from what you're used to. Harder, composite boots, taller runner, no cowling and different fit. I'd say the CCM Ribcor line will be more similar to what you're used too while also being more modern.

1 hour ago, vikingGoalie said:

thanks.

I'm thinking Reactors would be a good upgrade for you.  Boot seems similar and the Vertexx cowling should be an easy adjustment for you.  

I went from Vapor XXX's to the One100 LE, so either that or the Reactor like others have mentioned would probably be a good next step that won't be a shock like the 1S/1X.  My only adjustment was to the thinner steel in the One100, but the Reactors still use 4mm so that would be an easier transition.

• 1 month later...
51 minutes ago, vikingGoalie said:

so i finally ordered some skates.  HockeyGiant has bauer reactor 9000's at $199 and they have 15% off right now on everything.    So i figure $169 for new reactor 9000's can't go to wrong there.   get em in a couple of days...

tx all!

Awesome! How'd they feel in store??

well... that was what caused much hem-hawing.  I can't try skates on really, nothing near me that has anything in stock that I would actually buy.    but the return policy is good, and I've always liked bauer skates.    So I guess I'll let ya know once I get em... ;)   (saturday they arrive)

16 hours ago, vikingGoalie said:

so i finally ordered some skates.  HockeyGiant has bauer reactor 9000's at $199 and they have 15% off right now on everything.    So i figure $169 for new reactor 9000's can't go to wrong there.   get em in a couple of days...

tx all!

that's the deal I got on mine...can't beat that for a pro skate.  I recommend baking them at least once.  I only did my once, but then it took a few skates before they felt right.  Baking them twice probably would have been better.  Either way, it's not a bad break in for a Curv composite boot.  I also recommend insoles because they have a pretty pronounced arch and you'll feel it big time through the stock insoles.  I had an extra pair of CCM Med arch soles laying around and they worked perfect.  That's the hardest adjustment when going from older skates to more modern skates...the new technology requires a little bit of tweaking to get the fit right.

2 hours ago, vikingGoalie said:

well... that was what caused much hem-hawing.  I can't try skates on really, nothing near me that has anything in stock that I would actually buy.    but the return policy is good, and I've always liked bauer skates.    So I guess I'll let ya know once I get em... ;)   (saturday they arrive)

I guess if the return policy is good since you don't know if the Reactor fits your foot or not. 

2 hours ago, jayluv54 said:

that's the deal I got on mine...can't beat that for a pro skate.  I recommend baking them at least once.  I only did my once, but then it took a few skates before they felt right.  Baking them twice probably would have been better.  Either way, it's not a bad break in for a Curv composite boot.  I also recommend insoles because they have a pretty pronounced arch and you'll feel it big time through the stock insoles.  I had an extra pair of CCM Med arch soles laying around and they worked perfect.  That's the hardest adjustment when going from older skates to more modern skates...the new technology requires a little bit of tweaking to get the fit right.

Baking modern skates is an absolute must. In the old days baking used to help speed up the break-in process, but modern skates almost all have thermo-formable foams in them. Some skates (Easton Mako and VH are examples I'm personally familiar with) may require baking just to get them on your feet at all. 

He may or may not need different insoles - everyone's foot is different. 

4 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

I guess if the return policy is good since you don't know if the Reactor fits your foot or not. 

Baking modern skates is an absolute must. In the old days baking used to help speed up the break-in process, but modern skates almost all have thermo-formable foams in them. Some skates (Easton Mako and VH are examples I'm personally familiar with) may require baking just to get them on your feet at all. 

He may or may not need different insoles - everyone's foot is different. 

just throwing it out there as a recommendation because it was one of the bigger complaints I read about these skates and its an easy fix.  I dismissed a lot of skates over the years as painful and/or uncomfortable before I figured out that insoles can solve some of those problems.  

• 2 weeks later...

so I baked em at home first, then got em sharpened and did an open session in them They fit really well.   I kinda noticed the arch thing, but I have high arches to begin with  and after skating in the for a bit didn't even notice it.  Also did a league game later that week, so after 2-3 hours in them between those I'm thinking they fit my feet just about perfect.  The only oddity I noticed was when I would scull backwards I'd tend to kick out on my toe/ball of my foot area some, like the blade didn't bite and I was sliding out just a little.  I think that's due to the fact that these have more steel and a slightly different profile then my vapor's that have been worn down quite a bit over the years.    Though it wasn't enough to really be a bother and I think as I get used to them that will go away too.  So at least so far I'm pretty happy with em.   I would just throw out there that if anyone is in old Vapor XXX or XIX's that the supreme line seems to fit just like those.

• 1 month later...

just an update.  these skates are awesome.  Definitely an upgrade from the XIX vapors I had.   The sculling backwards thing was me not controlling the angle of the blade so that's a non issue now.  I notice my pushes when down are 10x better then they were, I really don't even notice that I'm wearing these really they are that comfortable on my feet and protection is great.  Took a slapper off the toe with no issue at all.

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to Goalie Skate comparison question

Archived